Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
Greetings, can anyone make me some recommendations for a good “Balkan” blend pipe tobacco? That is to say, an oriental-focused blend with some latakia but distinct from English blends. I want it sour! Tangy! Latakia is assumed but can’t be the only oriental leaf tobacco present.

Here’s some examples that are at least in the right ballpark:

Skiff Mixture - Samuel Gawith
Cairo - G.L. Pease
Rare Breed - Gurkha (this one surprised me)
I think Byzantium by C&D but I didnt keep notes so I’m not certain that was the one

Here are some great blends that are examples of not what I’m looking for:

Plum Pudding
Star of the East
Quiet Nights
White Knight
Blackhouse
Pirate Kake
10 Russians
Bengal Slices
EMP - although, maybe not super far off
Nightcap

Empty Pockets fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Unfortunately I'm not big into Latakia or oriental blends, but if you're into sour and tangy, have you tried perique blends or red virginia? Might be good to explore - they're often more those flavours.

I’m certainly down with Orlik, but my perique experience is usually in a VaPer context and while nice, seems like a different thing. I like pure Virginia tobaccos/blends too, but it’s not something I’ve felt the need to really drill down on finding a particular profile yet.

Tell you what though, virginia blends with prominent “citrus” notes would also be welcome.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

If you haven't tried many Virginia tobaccos you likely haven't had a red Virginia yet, which I believe is the tangy you're looking for. Check out Sutliff 515 RC-1.

Ditto for VaPers, I love Orlik but it's basically just a straight Virginia. Give 4noggins Prairie Wind a shot for something more sour.

Thanks, I will try these.

NewFatMike posted:

Have you tried the Smoking Pipes tobacco locator tool? It’s pretty aces for finding new stuff:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/

Yes, but Latakia is produced using oriental varieties and I'm wondering if that is throwing off the search parameters. I like English blends too so in a more general sense there's no downside to getting 2 oz tins of this and that, but for my preferences I don't think there's much out there that can beat Quiet Nights for that flavor profile. It did recommend one though that I do plan to try (Sunset Harbor flake). It also presents a good selection of blends including orientals without Latakia, so I might have to try some of those too.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
current pipe tobacco status: I found some Sunset Harbor Flake I forgot I ordered and it’s hitting the spot.

Gives me a little time to start building another order with all the recommendations I’ve received - they all seem like great suggestions. One more step on the march towards smokingpipes gold VIP status.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

I feel like once a year something about pipes becomes less mysterious or clicks into place for me.

same. Did you clean it up to the point where the bowl interior was white again, or just get all the cake buildup out of it? I have one meerschaum I’m probably not taking good care of and could use some tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
I guess it’s time to quibble to the death then because I had always heard not that meerschaum is incapable of developing a cake, but that you must not allow it to because the thermal expansion behavior can damage the pipe, and there’s no good reason to do it anyway because meerschaum doesn’t need it the way a briar pipe does.

My personal experience seems to support this, after a few weeks of smoking (during which time I’ll at least clear the dottle and give the bowl a quick wipe after each smoke) I’ll use my tsuge reamer to scrape down the bowl and what I get out of it sure looks and behaves like the same carbonized buildup I see in my other pipes.