Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Anyone into giant pipes?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ser-jacopo/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=447311

https://c15107754.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/002-171-3366.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

ArfJason posted:

decided to try spicing it up and taking the tobacco out of a marlboro cig and put it in my pipe. pretty fancy!

For a real treat just jam a Swisher Sweet in the bowl.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Return of smoking log:

https://c15107754.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/002-171-3364.mp4

$480, a deal at twice the price!

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ser-jacopo/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=447292

Anyone looking to add some meerschaum to their rotation?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=435040

It's Popeye.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

What pipe cleaners are ya'll using? Is there some consensus on the *best* brand?

I used B.J. Long tapered cleaners for years but got tired of all the fluff that would come off in the shank and stem.

I've been using Blitz cleaners for the last several months, they seem better in general. They have a stiffer wire, so they don't bend as much while inserting into the pipe. They definitely leave less fuzz behind, but do tend to drop the little red hairs if they are at the end of the cleaner. The taper of the Blitz cleaners is also fairly inconsistent: some don't seem tapered at all, some are very thick and fluffy and some are skinny. The good news is I can usually pick out the cleaners in the pack that will work best with whatever pipe I happen to be using at the time.

For bristles I've been using Brigham brand since switching from B.J. Long cleaners. They seem fine.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Life's the same, I'm smoking in stereo...

https://c15107754.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/004-001-21301.mp4

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=459087

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Alas, my finances also keep me well and firmly within the realm of normal-rear end pipes.

But this lil' chubby buddy showed up in the mail today, so I'm pretty stoked on that:

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 18, 2021

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

East Bay Tobacco Shop Reviews, Part I

Whelan's Smoke Shop, Berkeley, CA

Summary: It's a head shop that sells some premium tobacco stuff, mostly a rip-off, but it's there in Berkeley if you are rich and desperate. However, their tinned tobacco does have some age (1 to 2 years) on it because it doesn't move too fast.

Whelan's is kind of a Telegraph Avenue institution at this point; it has outlasted pretty much every store on the same block, and many many others between UC Berkeley and Oakland. It's in a prime location: directly across the street from campus, surrounded by tens of thousands of Berkeley students and staff. Of course, being on Telegraph, it is also a head shop. They also happen to be one of the few brick and mortar places in the East Bay to buy pipe tobacco and cigars (not counting BevMo or liquor stores). The store is a crowded arrangement of display cases filled with Zippos, glass pipes, bongs, ashtrays, vaporizers, and other smoking paraphernalia of all types.

The pipe tobacco and tobacco pipes are displayed behind the counter just inside the entrance. They have a small assortment of Peterson and Mac Baren tins, some big jars of bulk tobaccos, and some pouches of stuff like Borkum Riff and Captain Black. They have a selection of briar and meerschaum pipes, but I don't think I've ever spotted one in the case from a known maker. They also have about a wall's worth of cigars. Despite the presence of "premium" tobacco, they are definitely paying most of their rent selling glass, and vape stuff, and lighters. (I almost wonder if they own the building somehow, now that I'm thinking about it, because the rent for that location must be insane.)

Over the years I have purchased a few tins of pipe tobacco there, a couple of beater no-name briars, and a couple of ashtrays. I don't go there very often, despite the stellar location, because the prices are astronomical. However, sometimes you can get them to haggle, so I'll go in from time to time and see if I can find any semblance of a reasonable price. Usually the answer to that question is no, and I walk.

The older fellow, who I think is the owner (he's been around for at least the last 15 years), seems somewhat helpful and knowledgeable, but he's definitely more concerned with making a sale than satisfying customers, in my opinion. That goes for pretty much everyone in the shop. The younger folks on the sales team will stare blankly when you ask them about things like pipe cleaners, so they are fairly useless unless you want to buy a vape. I wouldn't recommend going to Whelan's without already knowing what you want and a reasonable price to pay.

The last item I bought there was a Comoy's pipe ashtray
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/ashtrays/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=235606
which is out of stock on smokingpipes.com to this very day. I saw it tucked in amongst an assortment of ashtrays with spikes for cleaning glass MJ pipe bowls, and recognized it immediately. I managed to talk them down to about $35 from $40. I figured it's gonna cost at least $25 + S&H online, so that seemed reasonable.

Today it dawned on me that they couldn't be moving pipe tobacco tins very quickly, and there might be some age on those tins that would make their price worthwhile. I popped in and first asked what they were asking for the 50g tins of the Peterson stuff. The price was $30 per tin. I asked if that was the cash price and the owner indicated that, today, this would be a firm price. I asked to look at the tins (so I could check the date code on the back) and found that, of the two tins I looked at, both were from 2020 and in good condition (seal seemed fine, no corrosion). So, there is some age to be found, but it's gonna cost you. I decided not to pick any up just yet. If I decide later that $30 for almost two years of age on a tin is an appropriate amount to pay, I can always go back.

I don't really recommend visiting Whelan's at all. I wouldn't ever go there myself but for its location. It's not even the best head shop on Telegraph. But, if you are in the East Bay, and want to find some tins with a little age, and you have the money, it might be worth checking out. I wish I knew much of anything about cigars so I could review that portion of the shop, but I don't, so I won't.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 21, 2021

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Kenning posted:

Yo sup Bay Area goon!

Wut up!

Kenning posted:

Maybe I should pop in and see what their cigar spread is like.

It could be fun and interesting, but I can't, in good conscience, encourage you to go even a little bit out of your way to visit Whelan's. They *might* do better with cigars, some folks on Yelp seem to think they are OK.

I'm planning on revisiting Schmidt's for the first time in about a decade, and eventually I might pop into the Piedmont Tobacconist. I've been pretty exclusively getting stuff online since I reignited my pipe passion over the pandemic after a years long hiatus.

It's a bummer that Grant's in San Francisco closed. That place was top notch.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Sunshine, Golden Sliced, and abuncha beers are all that’s left on the to do list today.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Happy international pipe smoking day I guess? I’m celebrating with some Erinmore in my first pipe, a Peterson’s Irish Whiskey shape 15 that I bought over 20 years ago now. The rim is pretty beat to poo poo and charred, and yeah, I’ve put some stuff through it I shouldn’t have a few times in my youth and had to give it a good reaming and washing, but it’s still a fine smoker.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Anyone ever use a FoodSaver jar vacuum sealer on their pipe tobacco? I'm borrowing one to try out for cellaring bulk varieties. It seems to work pretty well sealing up the wide-mouth canning jars.

Edit: I did a cursory internet search and it seems many pipe-heads in the pipe forums think that vacuum sealing a canning jar will somehow remove all of the oxygen from the jar and thus somehow prevent it from aging properly. I don't buy that. There is no way my rinky-dink FoodSaver comes anywhere close to evacuating all the atmosphere from a rigid jar before the pressure differential causes the lid to pop and seal. Also, by my understanding, tobacco tins come vacuum sealed in the first place (i.e., they aren't sealed using any hot-canning process). So I'm going to press on until I read something more convincing.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 24, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just back from France, couldn't find any semois at all. But I did treat myself to a couple of new pipes courtesy of à la Civette: a new Chacom City and a Fratelli Croci
Nice! That Fratelli Croci is dope!

I finally got around to opening a Capstan blue flake tin. Good stuff, nice sweet bready flavor, I’m really enjoying it. But, to me, the tin note smells like ketchup, and it was very unnerving before I actually lit it up.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

What’s everybody clench-pressing out there?

My heaviest pipe is a 2.5 oz. quarter-bent, and pretty much too heavy for sustained clenching. 1.8 oz. seems to be about my limit. I find myself gravitating toward the straighter, lighter shapes (< 1.5 oz) of late.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have never weighed my pipes!

In fairness, I just use the stats from smokingpipes to "weigh" mine. I always favorite pipes that I order from there, and can almost always find nearly identical listings for the pipes I get elsewhere (with the exception of random basket pipes). It's super geeky, but it's useful to know that I'm probably not going to want to smoke a pipe very often if it weights much over 1.5 oz. And knowing this prevents me from buying things like (more) 2.5 oz pipes that I can barely clench.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 3, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Winds down pipes up

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Early Morning Pipe and 965 are two very solid blends that I keep on-hand. I’ve got a tin of Elizabethan that’s been sitting around, I guess I should try that one next.

How is the spiral metal filter doohickey working out?

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

NotNut posted:

Can you roll cigarettes with pipe tobacco?

I’m sure it works OK with a few blends out there, but for the most part, no, not a very satisfying experience.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Blend Review: Presbyterian Mixture
It’s really good. It’s kinda sorta like Golden Sliced and Early Morning Pipe had a baby. I’m pretty bad at tasting notes, to be honest. But if you like Virginias and English blends as I do, then definitely check out Presbyterian. It’s what I would consider a Virginia-forward English. A “Va-takia,” if you would.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Also +1 for gentlemen caller

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

LOL ya’ll. I just cracked a tin of Eileen’s Dream. I’ll keep ya posted. Tin note is: baby’s first pipe tobacco. Feels like it will need to dry for… ever. I’ll probably love it. Gonna smoke it out of a looooong stem cob pipe.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Ok here we go. CAO Eileen’s Dream. “Irish cream + white chocolate truffles.” Tin note is true to the description. Smells like BCA and 1Q got drunk on spiced rum and tag-teamed a cream-filled doughnut. Not that they had a baby, you are smelling the sex smells. Anyhow pretty sweet smelling stuff.

Looks to be about 95% “black cavendish” and about 5% regular old Virginia lookin stuff.

I chickened out. Was gonna throw it in the MM Lucky 7 (a long fucker to be sure) but opted for the much shorter smoke (in time and space) of the ol’ trusty MM Mizzou. Packed using a sloppy Frank method after about 30 minutes of drying, 10 of which I put the tobacco between paper towels. Accompanying beverage is lukewarm Miller Light(s) (great taste, less filling).

Lighting… now.

To be continued…

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 26, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

It’s not a sweet as I expected…

It actually manages to be less over-powering flavor wise than 1Q or BCA, despite the tin note.

My wife says the room (deck) note does smell strongly of Irish cream.

Getting some grassy Virginia notes intermingled with Irish cream in the flavor. A bit of malt.

First impressions: Not awful. Has potential.

Later impressions (end of first bowl): I will finish the tin. It’s good enough to enjoy smoking. Highly unlikely that I ever get more. I probably wouldn’t recommend it to someone looking for a nice aromatic. I feel like a clown saying this, but I kind of want more of the tin-note to come through in the flavor. At this point I would probably rate this below 1Q. When I decide it’s time for an aromatic I want to taste it. By the end this is like when you suck all the flavor syrup out of a snow cone and just have ice left.

I wouldn’t say it pairs very well with Miller Light either. Mustache smells pretty good, but not as good as 1Q.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 26, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

I’m just back to say that I haven’t revisited Eileen’s Dream, Presbyterian is still THE poo poo (I love it), and it’s super fuckin cool to see pipes picking up in the thread.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Everything has been pretty good ROTT, but what’s really blowing my hair back is that new Semois the La Brumeuse:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Tabac-Manil/la-brumeuse-3.5oz/product_id/151938

I really like Reserve du Patron but this is in a whole league of its own. There’s really nothing else out there like it. It was creamy and at one point had a spot on fresh gingerbread flavor. I’m about to load another bowl holy smokes.

I totally went ahead and ordered some of that. And while I was shopping around I noticed:

quote:

Offered here are the ever-unique Les Bouchons: Translating to "Cork" in French, the Les Bouchons are rolled like a cigar but are designed to be smoked in a pipe. After the flattened base of the Bouchon is lightly moistened on the tongue, it's seated snugly into a pipe chamber with a twist, and the top is cut with a shallow "X" before being lit. Light the Bouchon in the same manner as a full chamber of pipe tobacco, and enjoy the distinctive, one-of-a-kind smoking experience of aged Semois tobacco."

Anyone ever tried anything like these?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Tabac-Manil/les-bouchons-%28box-of-10%29/product_id/501649

Now you can combine the finickiness of cigar storage with the trickiness of pipe smoking. But seriously, I bet they are dope. Someone buy them and let us know.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 30, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Everything has been pretty good ROTT, but what’s really blowing my hair back is that new Semois the La Brumeuse:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Tabac-Manil/la-brumeuse-3.5oz/product_id/151938

I really like Reserve du Patron but this is in a whole league of its own. There’s really nothing else out there like it. It was creamy and at one point had a spot on fresh gingerbread flavor. I’m about to load another bowl holy smokes.

Yo Mike, how well packed are these La Brumeuse bricks? Having opened one your self (I'm assuming), would you reccomend that I jar this up soon? Or do you think it can sit around as-packaged for awhile?

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Man I’m so glad that I finally got one. I smoke basically all day out of a Meerschaum bowl in one and it finally gets all the finicky behavior out of pipes that made me quit them every time I went back.

It’s saved me quite a lot of money because I’m primarily a cigar smoker and working from home enables my worst habits 😅

How's the color on your bowl coming?

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So I just smoked my first of the La Brumeuse [...]. Gonna be a regular for me for sure.

Great smoking weather in the East Bay this weekend and I went through 3 bowls of this after trying it for the first time yesterday. It's good! It smokes fast, but you can pack it really tight to make up for it (thanks for the tip Stuff and Things).

I picked up a simple little baby meerschaum a few weeks ago for short smokes and new flavors, and it turns out it's great for chain smoking La Brumeuse.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=504039

I'm also hoping the new meer' colors up a lot quicker than my old one has been. It is a loving giant of a pipe by my standards; the tobacco chamber dwarfs all of my other pipes'.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/imp-meerschaum/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=45534
I bet I could actually put it to good use now burning through this forest of Semois on my shelf since a giant bowl of the stuff could probably be polished off in a reasonable amount of time.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

It's a honker - easily my biggest bowl. The new meerschaum can almost fit inside the old one.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 22, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

I’ll put in another good word for Presbyterian Mixture. Gentleman Caller, has been a thread favorite, that’s really solid and “something different”. I think La Brumeuse is definitely worth a try if you are looking for something unique.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Oh hell yeah!

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Finally been having some good enough weather in the SF Bay area to pipe it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g2KKGgK-0w

Been kicking off the season with Virginia and VaPer blends. I picked up some Erik Stokkebye Night Slice and so far I'm loving it. Highly recommend if you are into VaPer blends. I think I'll crack open some of that Orlik Golden Sliced this afternoon.

Choosy judges choose Orlik.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 23, 2023

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Well poo poo.

The good news is that if I cram the shank back in there it sticks pretty good, so I can probably keep on smoking this thing with or without some glue.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

I suppose you’re right. I guess I’ll just have to smoke one of those other pipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Mizzou + Night Slice + Beer(z) in this episode of All My Cobs.

Mizzous are one of the cheapest Missouri Meerschaum offerings ($7.25 at corncobpipe.com as of this post), and I’ve had a couple of duds (really loose stems), but they are honestly one of my favorites. They are nice and light with a small but not unusable bowl. The Mizzou provides a short(er), yet plenty sufficient smoking session. Great for travel, camping, fishing. Cheap enough to be practically disposable but break in nicely when you keep them around.

The Night Slice is new to me this season. Actually this is my second bowl, but so far I’ve been very impressed. This is my first tobacco from Erik Stokkeby (4th Generation) and I’m definitely going to look out for more. Really solid VaPer. Beautiful fresh cut grass notes, nice bready-yeasty flavors, a pinch of pepper, really classic.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 17, 2023