Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

corona familiar posted:

I just got my Lectric bike yesterday and immediately took it for a 15 mile trip in the pouring rain to in-n-out and back. surprisingly rideable even with no pedal assist

:feelsgood:
were in The Bay Area was it pouring rain yesterday?! i call bullshit, bikeliar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

TenementFunster posted:

were in The Bay Area was it pouring rain yesterday?! i call bullshit, bikeliar!

I'm visiting family out of state lol. They live in suburban hell but there's a surprisingly robust walking path system so an ebike actually means trips that are unreasonably long on foot become reasonable bike trips

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 1, 2024

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
300 mile Generation e1.2 update:

- In my hubris, I rode it for 14 miles on the stock saddle after getting it. Don't be like me.
- Can definitely get 40 miles of range on relatively level terrain and level 1 assist.
- I like the way it scales the controls better than my last ebike; my old one controlled the speed at which it stopped assisting you, while this one controls the degree of assist consistently up to 20 mph.
- I'll probably going to want some kind of shock suspension seatpost at some point, the roads here can be rough.
- This bike has sold me on hydraulic disc brakes as a must-have in the future.
- Front light has decent coverage ahead for off-road bike paths at least.
- I'm extremely fond of the way the kickstand works, which makes it much, much easier to keep upright on transit.
- Fenders are a must for sure, especially with the battery's placement.
- The front tire is juuuust too fat for the swinging arms on the bike carriers that MBTA buses have, but the front rack doesn't get in the way. I wonder if it might fit if I deflated it in a pinch (or if I got a flat anyway).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Airconswitch posted:

- I'll probably going to want some kind of shock suspension seatpost at some point, the roads here can be rough.

This is pricy, but I swear by it
https://canecreek.com/product/eesilk-plus/
The Thudbuster ST doesn't work as well (though I'm comparing their performance as mounted on different ebikes).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

With <$10 in cables from AliExpress you can change the speed where the assist cuts off. :ssh:

Although it’ll top out at about 25mph on the flat so it’s not exactly a speed demon

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is there a seat that comes recommended for cruisers? I def get a little saddle sore if I've been riding for hours at a time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Airconswitch posted:

300 mile Generation e1.2 update:

- In my hubris, I rode it for 14 miles on the stock saddle after getting it. Don't be like me.
- Can definitely get 40 miles of range on relatively level terrain and level 1 assist.
- I like the way it scales the controls better than my last ebike; my old one controlled the speed at which it stopped assisting you, while this one controls the degree of assist consistently up to 20 mph.
- This bike has sold me on hydraulic disc brakes as a must-have in the future.
- Front light has decent coverage ahead for off-road bike paths at least.
- I'm extremely fond of the way the kickstand works, which makes it much, much easier to keep upright on transit.
- Fenders are a must for sure, especially with the battery's placement.
- The front tire is juuuust too fat for the swinging arms on the bike carriers that MBTA buses have, but the front rack doesn't get in the way. I wonder if it might fit if I deflated it in a pinch (or if I got a flat anyway).

What saddle did you go with?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Appoda posted:

Is there a seat that comes recommended for cruisers? I def get a little saddle sore if I've been riding for hours at a time.

Check out something like the Brooks B17, B67, or B33.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

corona familiar posted:

I'm visiting family out of state lol. They live in suburban hell but there's a surprisingly robust walking path system so an ebike actually means trips that are unreasonably long on foot become reasonable bike trips
the coverup begins!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some big deals on overstock and refurbs at Upway.
Beltdrive and Shimano middrive for under $2k:
https://upway.co/products/cero-one-uat91

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ddiddles posted:

Torque sensors are great if you spend enough money to get a fancy app along with it, with Specialized you can set it so you can get all the power of the motor with very little work, so I could cruise around at 20mph barely pedaling. Only worth it if the 1-2k price premium for bikes with torque sensors and fancy tuning apps isnt a big deal for you and you wouldn't miss that cash, I only got mine because they had such a great deal on their bikes. I had another bike that was a torque sensor but no real tuning available, I could see that being really annoying on a commute when I just want to get to work without sweating
The max level assist on all major brands of torque sensored mid drives is essentially no-sweat mode. Absurd level of assistance even at minimal pedalling effort.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My new Quick Haul dadwagen came in today :getin:. Made short work of the 8mi/500ft ride home. We'll see how it does with the kiddo strapped in this weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

that seems like a pretty great deal, dang

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

kimbo305 posted:

Is there anything weird about having tires with such different sizing?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shouldn’t make the handling crazy, though it’d handle less twitchily if the fork had the big wheel. It won’t be as comfortable to your hands when rolling over sharp bumps on the front.

It is a bit more inconvenient to get two different tire and tube sizes, if maintaining yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Barry posted:

What saddle did you go with?

Bontrager Boulevard, 225mm wide, nothing special, but on sale for half off