Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah not locking a 4 figure investment seems like a bad decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My shifter in particular. I have no idea what the current gear is after dark and I already figured out I suck at counting and remembering it.

Why would you need to see it? Wouldn’t you just shift if the gearing was too hard or too easy?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good lord that drivetrain is gross.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kaptkobe posted:

Finally got out on the bike.

How tall are you? That seat looks way too low.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CopperHound posted:

RIP me:

Nobody to blame but myself.

What am I looking at here?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That might be the biggest tombstone I’ve ever seen

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The vertical part of the front rack, the backstop

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Ah! Thanks. Yes, it's 3D printer sized.

I thought goons usually just carried the printer??

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

All the way from Prospect Park? That's a long way in the rain.

Get it together man!

https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/3/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If I was going to drop a ton of money on essentially an edirtbike I’d just buy a sur ron and have a lot of left over cash for when I bin it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

I'm shopping for something to use instead of my lovely old truck for my commute once or twice a week, 30 miles both ways with less than 600 feet of elevation gain. Budget of not much over $2000. Something that could handle gravel/dirt roads, and I really like a retro moped look. I've been considering the RadRunner 2/+, Juiced Scorpion X or something from Hemiway but I'd really like to buy something that will last and I can't find much reliable info about how any of these do after a significant amount of mileage. Is that unrealistic at this price point? Being able to carry some cargo and having good range is a lot more important to me than speed.

How much do you weigh, how much cargo are you planning to carry, and how much pedaling are you going to do? Is there charging infrastructure at work?

Something like a RadRunner+ has a range of 45 miles but that’s the extremely optimistic version. A Scorpion is basically going to be all battery since it’s a fixed position and not conducive to pedaling efficiency.

Around 20 watt hours per mile is a baseline for more real world range if you’re using a mix of battery and pedaling. On a RadRunner+ that would give you ~34 miles from a 672Wh battery.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

I firmly believe that one can be an rear end in a top hat, or not, on any kind of bike.

Yeah, if someone is riding an ebike capable of 50mph at normal speeds on a MUP and not being a dick I’ve got no problem with it. The worst riders I’ve seen are the TT guys who baffling decide that the MUP is the place to ride, on the aerobars and everything.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Took me a moment to note the issue.

So anyway, I got a new chain wear indicator and a new chain. Turns out mine was one more tour from being worn per Shimano's tool. Is 1500km a normal distance to wear a chain down?

Depends entirely on the conditions. I’ve got road chains that last thousands and thousands of miles and CX chains that get absolutely thrashed after only a short period.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sold by a bunch of just launched sellers on Amazon so I wonder what you’ll actually get

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shouldn’t have opened this thread

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's a good deal even for a 36v 10AH generic white label Bafang 350w hub bike. You can even pick good looking yellow and blue color. Probably has some warranty too.

The 1.2 has the 48v with 14ah as well. I blame Kimbo for me knowing this as I just bought one to share with my wife.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just got one and it’s great. The tires are Schwalbe so easy enough to get replacements. The only weird thing I’ve seen is that there are no out of the box fenders that will work for the 2.3” tires.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I put a Wald 139 basket on the front rack with a PNW cargo net. Fits great. Rear will take panniers just fine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

The goon bike Slack was kicking around the idea of designing a custom headtube badge for the REI Coop e1.1/1.2 bikes. There must be 5-6 purchases, getting into Soma Wolverine territory.
Would be a snap to print with Redbubble or the like.

I’d be interested.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Ok yall, back to ebike headtube badge project. I commissioned this with the artist Hex Aunzo, who has a style I really vibe with.
I went with the Bearpope theme of the SA cycling jerseys, which I know some people think of as cycling-elitist. Well here's your chance to broaden the base:

Remarks:
- i thought the front rack of the e1.2 had a bit more visual appeal, so I asked for that as the reference
- that said, I thought it would be a waste not to have the design done in all 6 e1.1/1.2 colors: white, black, orange, yellow, green, blue. You can see all 6 here: https://imgur.com/a/Re5G2sK
- Hex assigned ownership of the art to me, and I grant yall free reign to print out / make copies / etc. If you want to redesign / modify it, please give credit to Hex.

So, if you want a head badge sticker, I'll offer 2 options:
1. print your own out on RedBubble here
I recommend going with the transparent sticker if you don't have a white bike. This is a decent preview of what it'll look like: https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/sa-bearpope-coop-e1-1-blue-by-mengmao/151363636.O9UDB
You can of course get bigger stickers or have it printed on other products.
e: I'm not sure if I make any profit off of a random person printing one of these stickers. Putting them on a store is the only option for making designs public on RedBubble, afaik.

2. group order with me. This will be cheaper since I can maximize any volume discount and save on shipping. Offer only valid if your mailing address in is the US!
So I'll collect everyone's orders (color, sticker type), place the order, and then mail them out individually in envelopes.
Cost to you will be cost of stickers + whatever a forever stamp costs these days.
DM me or reply to this post if you want a sticker.

This didn't seem to have too much interest, so I'll set a time window of 1 week to get your order in.

I’m in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

3x of the green for me. Whatever the best option is for the sticker material - transparent?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Petition to ban the word acoustic when referring a bicycle

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My 1.2 review is that it’s great. It needs a bigger chainring still, like a 52t or 54t, and a real chainstay guard. I’m almost always in the highest gears which also results in chain slap.

You can also unlock it to 28mph with a couple cables and a small module from AE, but it’ll top out around 25mph on the flat at any rate.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I saw in the reviews in the REI listing page that REI shops claimed they were going to do a running change on it. Dunno if they actually followed through.

They did, afaik. Mine came with the larger 48t chainring and 11-34 freewheel. I still thing it needs a bit more

Originally it was specced with a 42t and a 14-34t freewheel which would require an insane cadence to get it up to 20mph.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Unlock it and rip

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

With <$10 in cables from AliExpress you can change the speed where the assist cuts off. :ssh:

Although it’ll top out at about 25mph on the flat so it’s not exactly a speed demon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jonny Quest posted:

Since you're US-based I feel like this would be the perfect spot for the REI e1.1 or e1.2. They're definitely on the heavy side for someone 5'0", and I have doubts about their long-term support (spare battery/motor even though they're Bafang-branded) but for near and medium term nothing beats having REI either take it back or deal with it in their bike shop.

Sure they don't have OEM fenders (but you're in Texas) and they're likely not great in the wet (but you're in Texas) and the battery won't go far (a novice rider at level 1-2 assist for a few miles is perfect) but they're a great intro to the ebike concept.

My mother-in-law got one, and despite immediately falling over because she doesn't understand starting on an incline, she still loves the thing.

PDW makes a specific gender for the genE