Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

some kinda jackal posted:

Thinking of piecing together a softbag sidebag setup for some light overnight moto camping in '24.

..Ideally under $1000CAD if I can, bags and rack mounts all in, but not going to die on that hill.

You don't really need a lot of expensive gear to start motocamping. I got into it on a tiny SR400 with a set of these with el cheapo $20 bag supports, and a milk crate w/ a contractor trash bag in it for a top case. I did waterproof the soft bags using the old silicone and mineral spirits trick (cost me another :10bux:). Anything that wouldn't fit there got bungied to the back of the seat.

Heck I was using an old 4-man dome tent I had laying around. No chair, just took the milk crate off the back of the bike and sat on that, or on the ground with my back against a tree. Kitchen consisted of a Walmart special "mess kit", an old tomato can for boiling water, an army surplus knife/spoon/fork set, and an alcohol stove off Amazon burning denatured alcohol.

I did a week in the Adirondack mountains with that kit. Kept my food, toiletries, and cookware in the soft bags and used some paracord and a carabiner to hang them from a tree.

Cheapass to middle of the road backpacking gear from Amazon is good for getting into motocamping if you're not sure you'll like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

right arm posted:

yup. size is way more important than weight for moto camping imo

Yeah, smaller stuff really helps. Hence my mention of cheap backpacking gear from Amazon. The made in China junk may not last a long time, but it's fine for deciding if you like bike camping.

Sometimes you even get lucky on the quality. Heck, i'm still using the Chinesium alcohol stove that i bought 8 years ago when I was planning my first trip.