Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm missing camping this year, BC closed its parks to people from out of province. I guess I could stay at a private campsite but I expect those would be full of other 'bertans, and I go partially to get away from those martians.

I haven't done a real multi-day trip for a log time, so usually I just pack a few granola bars and some instant for breakfast and get a more substantial meal at a diner along the way. I've had a couple meals from the concession on the Kootenay Lake ferry, it's never what you'd actually call "good" but it's hot, it's edible, and it's fun to eat on a boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

dang I thought the parks were just closed to out of country people, that's a real shame. I loved your guys' parks

Yeah, it's to cut down on interprovincial transmission of covid. Which is a laudable goal tbh, it just kinda sucks for me personally.

Parks nationwide are definitely closed to people from the US, unless you're travelling straight through to go directly to Alaska or back. Not actually sure about how tourists from overseas that are handling it better are treated. I've read news articles about people with US plated vehicles being keyed or otherwise vandalized in Banff, even when the owners are Canadian residents. (I've also heard similar about people with AB plates in BC... there's been a fair amount of tension between the two provinces in the last few years what with pipeline slapfights)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, if you're tenting it an air pad is a lifesaver. I tend to end up on gravel pads a lot and there's always bigger rocks that would be digging into me except for the pad. For a pillow I just use a drybag with tomorrow's clothes in it.

Also, if you're in a tent, I recommend having a tarp or other groundcloth to go under it to protect your tent/add a little padding. Fold the edges of the tarp so that they're smaller than the edges of the tent, that way condensation on the outside drips off the sides of the tent and onto the ground rather than collecting between the tent and tarp. My tent is pretty good otherwise so I don't put a second tarp over top of it, the rain fly works just fine.

One of these days I'll get to try a hammock out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always bring a big fat tool roll on any trip longer than a day

I've needed it maybe once or twice in ten years, but I know, down at the very core of my being, that if I saved weight and space by leaving it home I'd find myself pulled over somewheres going "why didn't I bring my fuckin tools"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My food's usually inside a zip-up lunchbag in a hardcase that I put well away from my tent and bike. I ought to be stringing it up but since I'm always in provincial parks, there's usually other people around who are less cautious about food safety, so I figure it's a pretty good chance the bear goes for them instead.

Kinda like how the safest way to park your bike outside is up the block from someone who street parks theirs with no locks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah. Like I had to swallow this summer, your enjoyment and safety on the bike depend on your fatigue being kept in check. If you know you're gonna wake up chilled, tired, achy, and pissed off about it, think about finding somewhere to get a decent night's rest.