Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hekk posted:

If you are practicing catch and release, a cheap net can damage the fish you are landing and reduce their likelihood of survival.

If you are keeping what you catch, the fish are going to be dead soon anyways and it probably doesn’t really matter.

I’d just look at your local sporting goods store and see whatever they have in stock. Cabellas, Dicks, Scheels, etc.

Oh I see, yeah maybe one of those things to check out in person. Btw I dunno how fast this is gonna be a nationwide thing but it seems like Dick's are converting to just being an apparel store, I have to go pretty far to find one that actually sells all the stuff I'm used to seeing in there. I stopped by at basically every sporting goods store around here when I was looking at the kayak stuff and while REI seemed kinda nice everything was super expensive, I think my favorite ended up being Sportsman's Warehouse, so I'll probably just stop by there. I do wanna visit the bass pro shops pyramid some day though.

Edit:
Meanwhile I'm trying to make sense of the rules here, seems like quite a lot to keep in mind, I should probably have some kind of printed version of this with me right? or at least Pages 10 and 11.

Brut fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The best net to use is a Koi Sock Net. If a net can safely handle a 36" ornamental Goldfish it can handle a 12" bass.

EDIT: They do come in all sorts of sizes.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 1, 2024

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Brut posted:

Hey quick question, why are fishing landing nets so expensive? is there a good reliable cheap one ya'll recommend? Feels like it should be under like $10 but maybe there's some reasoning behind it :shrug:

Generally what kind of net will depend on what kind of fishing. Bassing from a boat you’ll usually want something with a nice long handle, which will just get in the way if you’re in a kayak, and trout stream fly fisherman will use those super expensive wooden dip nets with the soft silicone netting so as to be gentle with c&r trout and because they’re easy to carry for a long day in the stream.

On my kayak I use an aluminum thing with a short handle and rubber-coated netting I got at one of the big department places.

E- pretty sure I bought this one with the shorter handle. I don’t remember it being $45 but it’s possible, or maybe prices have jumped that much in the last couple years. In any case I’d recommend spending the bit extra for a net with the rubber coating. Much easier on the fish that way. The raw nylon cords slice right through fins.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/promar-premier-anglers-series-landing-net-20pmraprmnglr24hpfac/20pmraprmnglr24hpfac

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Brut posted:

Edit:
Meanwhile I'm trying to make sense of the rules here, seems like quite a lot to keep in mind, I should probably have some kind of printed version of this with me right? or at least Pages 10 and 11.

The vast majority of the information in the fishing regulations for each state are around restrictions on keeping fish caught. If you have no immediate plans to try to keep whatever you catch, you can safely ignore a lot of what’s written there. The most important information there is the fishing season for each species.

If you don’t know enough about different types of freshwater fish to know how someone could tell that you are specifically targeting that species, I’d say you can get started with inexpensive rod/reel combos, a bobber, light sinker, a size 8 or 6 hook, and hotdog pieces or something to put on the end. Panfish are usually year round in every state.

If you somehow hook a largemouth bass or some other more regulated species while bobber fishing, the DNR aren’t going to pop out of the bushes and tackle you or anything. Just throw them back in the water and all is good.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
Went out and caught 2 rock bass, the first fish I've caught in months. I'm so goddamn happy.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I wish rock bass got bigger. They’re aggressive, thrive in accessible waterways, and fight well for their size. Cool fish.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Brut posted:

Hey quick question, why are fishing landing nets so expensive? is there a good reliable cheap one ya'll recommend? Feels like it should be under like $10 but maybe there's some reasoning behind it :shrug:

I have a cheap wooden hand landing net I got from Walmart for like $10-20 and another folding net that was like $30 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JWGVW5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Also have a larger net for my kayak for inshore saltwater that was maybe like $60. The key thing with all of them is that they use a rubber mesh, which is better for the fish and less prone to getting hooks wrapped up and snagged in it vs nylon or whatever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Hooplah posted:

I wish rock bass got bigger. They’re aggressive, thrive in accessible waterways, and fight well for their size. Cool fish.

Sunfish too.

I was in a lake one time and had one bite my nipple.

Turned me on.

Glad it wasn't a pike.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hekk posted:

The vast majority of the information in the fishing regulations for each state are around restrictions on keeping fish caught. If you have no immediate plans to try to keep whatever you catch, you can safely ignore a lot of what’s written there. The most important information there is the fishing season for each species.

If you don’t know enough about different types of freshwater fish to know how someone could tell that you are specifically targeting that species, I’d say you can get started with inexpensive rod/reel combos, a bobber, light sinker, a size 8 or 6 hook, and hotdog pieces or something to put on the end. Panfish are usually year round in every state.

If you somehow hook a largemouth bass or some other more regulated species while bobber fishing, the DNR aren’t going to pop out of the bushes and tackle you or anything. Just throw them back in the water and all is good.

Yeah keeping the fish is exactly what I mean, I'd just need to know what a regulated species looks like, that's why I'm thinking best to have the document with me (and not in electronic form because pulling out my phone while a fish is flopping around sounds like a recipe for disaster). Wonder if I can integrate a measuring stick in to the boat, some kind of waterproof paint? idk.

Still need to buy tackle, I'm tempted by these kits that seem to have a lot of different stuff for like 10 bucks but I have a feeling there's a lot in there I won't need, if there's a good starting tackle set you're aware of I'm open to suggestions.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hooplah posted:

Use a lighter rod

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Brut posted:

Yeah keeping the fish is exactly what I mean, I'd just need to know what a regulated species looks like, that's why I'm thinking best to have the document with me (and not in electronic form because pulling out my phone while a fish is flopping around sounds like a recipe for disaster). Wonder if I can integrate a measuring stick in to the boat, some kind of waterproof paint? idk.

Still need to buy tackle, I'm tempted by these kits that seem to have a lot of different stuff for like 10 bucks but I have a feeling there's a lot in there I won't need, if there's a good starting tackle set you're aware of I'm open to suggestions.

Your state probably has a printable version on the DNR/Equivalent agency website. Print the poo poo off and keep it in your box.
You might be able to find a paper copy at tackle/sports shops too.
Ontario used to widely distribute paper copies of hunting and fishing regs. They still give them out, but you can't find them at as many places these days.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Your state probably has a printable version on the DNR/Equivalent agency website. Print the poo poo off and keep it in your box.
You might be able to find a paper copy at tackle/sports shops too.
Ontario used to widely distribute paper copies of hunting and fishing regs. They still give them out, but you can't find them at as many places these days.

Yeah, that PDF I linked seems pretty printable and that is the official source (no idea why they use "fishandboat.com" instead of a pa.gov subdomain), but come to think about it when I was at the state park office getting the launch permit there were a bunch of different flyers to grab there, I bet one of them was this thing, I should've looked closer.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I went on my first surf fishing trip of 2024 now that it's finally warmed up. People all around me were catching stripers left and right and of course I wasn't lol. I think it's because I was using lures and all those guys were probably throwing clams or bloodworms. I don't mind fishing with natural bait sometimes but I just like the more active type of fishing you do with lures. And I've had good luck with them plenty of times in the past. But yeah, I should probably just use what's working for the other folks...

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Charliegrs posted:

I went on my first surf fishing trip of 2024 now that it's finally warmed up. People all around me were catching stripers left and right and of course I wasn't lol. I think it's because I was using lures and all those guys were probably throwing clams or bloodworms. I don't mind fishing with natural bait sometimes but I just like the more active type of fishing you do with lures. And I've had good luck with them plenty of times in the past. But yeah, I should probably just use what's working for the other folks...

All that matters is that you had a good time

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Charliegrs posted:

Pretty sure yous a mook if ya not soakin bunkah

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Moving back to northern michigan after a few decades of military service and putting florida in the rearview. Cant wait to catch brookies on a wooly bugger and my 2wt noodly bamboo thats been in storage for years. I'll be about fifteen mins from the Pigeon and Sturgeon rivers plus a billion smaller creeks. Also super excited for September and my first salmon run in forever!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i picked up a 5.5 foot neon green lew's laser ultralight rod to pair with a shimano sienna 500 with some 6 lb hi vis line and it was really fun at a pond.
got a white crappie and a couple bluegill on a little minnow crankbait, the first time I've gotten anything on one. had a couple other bites but couldn't get em fast enough. I see why people like ultralight stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Got my boat back. Currently taking a giant poo poo or maybe it's not that huge I dunno. Then it goes on the water for the year. Which means i ain't getting poo poo this year either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
From Reddit:

How do I support my boyfriend when he is disappointed? (F25,M24)

quote:

I (F25) have been with my boyfriend (M24) for a little over a year and a half. From the beginning, he has made it very clear that he has big aspirations for himself to be self-employed as a professional fisherman/angler. He is a big dreamer and he has a big heart, which is a lot of why I am drawn to him. However, he doesn't deal with failure well, and I am not sure how to support him during those moments.

He had a tournament at a local lake. He has competed before, but they were much smaller tournaments. Last year, I believe he competed in two that had much smaller attendees. Maybe 10-20 people signed up. In those tournaments, he placed second or third. For those being his first tournaments, it was a really good start. This tournament had 86 anglers, not to mention they could double dip in other tournaments that were being held on the same lake. He ended up getting skunked (not catching any fish) and has been in a state of rage today. I was trying to follow the leaderboard for a while, but it was taken down around 1, so I don't know how many people actually caught at least one fish. He didn't place very high, but from would I could see, less than 20% of the people signed up for the tournament he was in caught at least a fish.

For more context, he has been getting skunked a lot more since last summer. He puts a lot of time and money into the sport, and he feels like it'sall a waste. He has multiple set ups, many different types or lures and baits, and a relatively new Hobie 360 kayak. He wants to become a professional in this sport and make a living off it somehow. He did a practice round last week and was skunked again. He is on the verge of giving up, and the season hasn't even gone into full swing yet.

We live in the midwest, and a lot of the people he looks up to live in the south. The environment and climate is totally different, and I think he compares his experiences to ones he sees online. I have tried to remind him that he can't compare his story to others, and that social media is just a wasteland of only the good moments. We have discussions about how much hard work it is going to take, and that he is still really young and new to the sport. But I don't think us having those conversations is helping.

I want to support him and push him to keep going. He is so talented and he doesn't see it. He only sees his failures, and he lets those define him. He was a star athlete growing up, and though he faced adversity, I think this is the first time he is really being pushed outside of his comfort zone. I know men and women are so different when it comes to processing emotions and their needs in times of distress, but I don't know what to do for something like this. I want him to keep reaching for the stars and pursuing this big dream of his. I know I can't fix him, but I don't want him to feel alone anymore.

So I guess I just need advice on how to support my partner when they're going through their own personal struggles and fighting through adversity. I love him so much, and I love watching him purse his hobbies and dreams, but I don't want to see him give up so quickly.