Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Disc golf fuckin' owns. While I've had the innova starter set for like 2 years, this summer I've finally been bitten by the bug. Solid 5 weeks of going out every weekend to play with friends. Even if I have a bad round, I'm still just throwing disc with friends in the woods, so a good time.

I really suck at putting, getting better, but often I'll miss from 20 feet out and my disc ends up past the basket 20 feet out again, which is maddening. Drives are inconsistent at best, 1 in every 10 I'll actually do everything right and get some decent distance. I really should just practice more but oh well. Right now I'm content with a bogey round. Hit my pars when I can, and try not to double or triple bogey.

This weekend will be my first time going out with a larger group. There's gonna be 6 of us, all different skill levels. I'm sure we'll be letting a lot of people play through. But I'm real excited. Just want to throw disc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Local park with disc golf has a wide open field right by the parking area/1st hole, so I try to show up early and get some practice in. Same plan for Saturday.

I've improved my putting after doing the so-called Granny Shot. Standing with legs straddled, facing right at the basket, and sort of dipping down, popping up while lobbing the disc more than throwing it. It feels loving weird and wrong, but it loving works. I've also been told that I have "a serious nose-up problem" which is costing me much distance, so that's something I can work on before Saturday.

I've just been hit by the bug hard and honestly, after like a year and a half it's just fuckin' fun to be out there with friends, even if I suck poo poo and every disc stalls out 200 ft from the tee pad.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Had the best round of my life and threw 2 under*

Alright, so there were 8 of us, and we played doubles. My partner and I were on fire. When one of us missed, the other picked up the slack. It was amazing. It's awesome to have your partner hit a decent but safe shot, giving you free reign to Go For It. Very competitive through all 21, but we still lost by 1 all down to the last basket because one friend loving NAILED the drive through some crazy trees.

First time using my cart, too. It's just a folding cart like the bus grandmas use, with a little disc rack up top that I put together real quick at the shop. (emphasis on real quick. Don't look too close at my ugly-rear end welds). It was great being able to hold discs, bug spray, sunscreen, beverages, snacks, towels, trash, and everything for all 8 of us in one spot.

Overall it was an awesome time.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Elysium posted:

I may have bought some discs. And a basket…

Don't be shy about posting pictures, now.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Doubles can be fun as hell

If I could swing it all the time, it would be my preferred way to play.

On sadder news, one of only 2 courses within an hour of me is closing for good. It was a private course, and the landowner sold it suddenly to put a solar panel array. They've been told they have til the end of June to clear out. So my now only course is about to get pretty crowded, unless I feel like traveling past/through NYC. Which wouldn't be the worst, but a quick morning round becomes a day trip.

Anyone have experience doing a guerilla course? Taking a portable basket and sort of making your own hole at a park and such? Seems the next most viable thing for my friends and me. Could be a different kind of fun all its own, deciding where to put the basket, what obstacles, where to tee off, etc. Then just doing it all over again for a new hole

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

That was a wild fuckin' finish.

Went and played this weekend and got to implement my crown marker for the first time. Whoever wins a hole gets to use this mini marker until someone else beats them on a hole. Meant to add a little fun competition, and I had some pieces of scrap around at work with some time on my hands.

Downside is the thing weighs like a pound and a half. Heavy is the crown, I guess.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I've just been rewatching the Conrad shot over and over. Even non disc golf friends were talking about the Jomboy breakdown in the group chat. It's wild how much play it's getting

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Since we're well into summer now let me do my PSA: Friends don't let friends throw green discs. Buy solid colors that stand out from the foliage. Orange, red, pink, and bright white are my favorites. YMMV depending on where you live.

My friend throws and loses a green Mako3 often enough I just want to get him an orange one so I don't have to help him look for it as much. He throws that thing on drat near every hole, so I guess it's just by volume that he'll shank one shot every round into the woods.

I have plenty of reds and oranges, and I'm gonna be pretty worried in Sept-Oct here when the leaves have changed.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Did some dang disc art on some previously boring discs

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Just spent a 3 day weekend playing 108 holes of disc golf at 4 different courses, all new to me. Me and 3 friends made a road trip of it and toured a couple of courses in the Westchester area of NY. We only have one course nearby now, and it's all I've ever played, so I was ready to absolutely humbled by some other courses.

FDR Park was great, and very close to the city. Really well marked out, gorgeous course, fair and slightly challenging when in the slightly wooded holes.

Beacon Glades has you playing through an old abandoned campground, which was great for this time of year, having the feeling that Jason Voorhees watching you make a lovely putt. A lot of kind of novelty holes. Kind of confusing hole layout, though. Many holes having multiple baskets, sometimes unmarked, and a lot of alternate holes. Not even just alternate tee pads, but entirely alternate holes. So we'd have to choose between Hole 6, Hole 6, or Hole 6a. All the locals we met seemed to love the course, but some would admit the layout is weird, while a few said eeeeeverything is clearly marked for you. Weird, and has a lot of charm, had a great time.

Wilcox Memorial park was amazing. Even the short tees to short baskets were incredibly challenging. I know I'm far from the best, but we were punished incredibly for missing a line even slightly on many of the heavily wooded holes. The elevations in general had us really thinking about the risk/reward of some shots, especially with the slopes around the baskets. Not many times at all did the terrain ever seem helpful to us, only to hinder, and at best, didn't factor in. Again, I know I have a long way to go to being considered good at disc golf, but I have no idea how some people even attempt to play long tees to long baskets there.

Warwick has 3 courses in one spot. The one we didn't play was The Oasis. We first played the Brakewell Steel course, short tees to long baskets. Great course, had some fun verticality, and some very fun tight doglegs in the fairway. Felt like you weren't punished for slightly missing your line, but there was plenty of OB and it was well marked out.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Happy birthdace!

My 2022 goals are

1) Throw better than +10 at my local course
2) Reliably throw controlled shots over 300 ft.
3) Put together a consecutive bogey-free 9
4) Get comfortable and confident putting at 20-25ft. Right now I'm comfortable at 15 and in
5) Play more courses. That means making a weekend trip of it with friends since there's only one course within 1½ hours of me.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Sound_man posted:

That is gross, where do you live?

I'm thankful I live in an area with enough courses that if the parking lot is full I can be at another course within 20 minutes.

Long Island. My home course is Heckscher Park, a neat 21 hole course, they demolished Calverton for solar panels, and there is another course (Cedar Beach) but it is so ridden with poison ivy that I do not count it because I have an insane reaction to it. Any disc tossed wayward will be considered unrecoverable, and I don't want to play like that.

So, an exaggeration if there is another course, but to me, there is only one course. There are proposals for more courses at different parks, but that's as far as they got, just proposals.

Once I get past NYC there are plenty of options. My friends did a disc golf camping trip just in October and had a blast playing different courses.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Cleaned up the basement and I now have an indoor 25' practice putting spot! :toot: 59/100 shots for my first session, not too shabby.

Very nice! I've been settling for throwing at a milk crate at my metal shop.

I managed to throw in a field for 2 hours, then play a round on New Years Eve, from the long tees, and didn't do terrible! I did much much better putting, comfortable from 18-20 ft. Playing from the long tees, I knew I wasn't going to make it to the basket from the tee, so it forced me to think of it as 2 shots just to get it there. It honestly put me in a way better spot most of the time. Playing from the shorter tees, I'd usually try to get near the basket right off the tee. That would end up with me in the woods, or with a 40 foot look. I'm not good enough to make 40 footers, so I'm still only getting par most of the time. So why not just go for control off the tee and make it there safely? I know this is dumb obvious poo poo, but there's always temptation to Just Fuckin' Go For It. It was nice to play safe for like an entire round.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Happy birthdace!

My 2022 goals are

1) Throw better than +10 at my local course
2) Reliably throw controlled shots over 300 ft.
3) Put together a consecutive bogey-free 9
4) Get comfortable and confident putting at 20-25ft. Right now I'm comfortable at 15 and in
5) Play more courses. That means making a weekend trip of it with friends since there's only one course within 1½ hours of me.

I did it, y'all. +8 over 21 holes

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

We had absolutely gorgeous weather here this past weekend, and the course was also empty. No idea why, but I'll take it.

Played my 2nd best round ever with a Putter Only round, got to be the first to play a new hole being put in. Talked to a guy from the local disc golf group, and apparently my local course is getting expanded to be 30 holes. So that's pretty sweet.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

This past Sunday I put together what was probably my best ever overall round, even if it wasn’t the outright best score I’ve shot

Didn’t miss a putt under 10m, and made a couple just outside including an absolute death putt on 17. Followed that up with a perfect drive to get a rare birdie on 18. Just nuts thinking back at how many shots I executed on and how confident I was in every throw.
drat, what a round. It's always great when the putts are on.

I recently shot my best, at +6. NEARLY hit one of my goals of a a bogey-free 9, but I hit a bogey on 12 and par'd out (on a 21 hole)

cage-free egghead posted:

Last weekend I hosted a bunch of friends and we managed to play 161 holes, walk like 40 miles and got bit by tons of mosquitos. Absolutely drained after each day playing 3 rounds but so worth it. Some bad rounds but some really good ones too.
The most disc golf I've played is 101 holes over a 3 day weekend. And dang were my arms tired. But I also could not throw as far or as accurate as I can now. I'd like to revisit those courses and see how I fare. But jeez, 161 holes? Christ almighty.

unbuttonedclone posted:

The Yikun base plastic is the same as Discmania Active base plastic and is actually very good.
I use a base plastic Yikun Yan for a touchy approaches and it works great for me for that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

My buddy gifted me a harp and the only downside of it I can think of is that it is a medium gray burst and man that poo poo gets hard to find real quick.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Form is better than power.

Unfortunately I have neither, so

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I can throw my Mako3 (and seemingly ONLY my Mako3) pretty drat smooth, straight, flat, and (relatively)far from a standstill. I can not replicate that throw with any other disc, no matter what I try. That thing just feels right.

Or a GStar Wraith forehand, which also Just Feels Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

headcase posted:

This is probably nose angle. Mako is probably the most forgiving non-putter.

Oh most definitely. I've filmed my throws before, and I must not have a very flexible wrist because even when I feel like I have my hand pointing down and pouring the coffee, it's still coming out flat.

Or I throw right into the dirt. Mission accomplished?!