Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Hey new touring thread!

My bike touring experience is fairly limited, but i've done a few weekend trips and really enjoyed them all. Earlier this year the girlfriend and I were pretty seriously considering doing the Eurovelo 15 (Rhine River) route in the fall, but due to COVID and various other things shaking up our year it didn't materialise. Definitely hoping to do something like that next year though. We also had plans with some friends to do some long weekends biking around the Netherlands & Belgium, but that fell through as well since they weren't able to fly out here from the US for obvious reasons. :(

Anyway that's enough about trips that didn't happen, what I have actually done is quite a few weekends on the Capital Trail in Virginia, camping down around Williamsburg, and coming back up. The first time I did this was Summer 2018, completely out of shape, on a borrowed carbon road bike, and with everything in a backpack. Immediately after returning from that trip I bought a rack and panniers, and the next time we did it a few weeks later it was a much more pleasant experience. Then last summer I went with the same group of friends and we did a 3 day trip camping around the Outer Banks in NC which was a blast. This is the kind of trip I definitely want to try to do more of.

My friends bike I borrowed on our first overnight trip. Very attractive photo with my sweaty gross bib thrown over it, I know.
When we arrived in the campsite and I got off the bike and lifted it a little bit the back wheel dropped out of the frame entirely, apparently the quick release wasn't nearly tight enough and I was riding on it all day like that....

Shortly after that trip got my own bike again, and some proper bags...

Getting ready in a motel parking lot in OBX to start our 3 days of camping. Right after we pulled out of the parking lot it dumped rain on us for about the first hour, but then dried out and the rest of the weekend was great.

Much prettier blue skies on days 2 & 3.

My load for the weekend on one of the ferries we took.

I'd like to at least do *something* this year since our big Eurovelo dreams didn't end up happening.... We're currently living in The Netherlands and my girlfriend's company recently opened an office in Cologne that she needs to visit a few times in the coming months. I'm thinking I may try to take a long weekend and bike down to Cologne to meet her during one of her trips, then spend a weekend biking on some gravel and old fire roads/train tracks in Eifel about an hour away. Next year we can hopefully plan some more exciting trips and explore the world of bike touring a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU