Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Crosspost from general thread:

Audax Day! Off from Cambridge to Melton Mowbray, home of the pork pie*, and back. Although my riding companions decided that we should do the "Extra Slice" version of the route (on the least audax bikes possible - an aeroad, a propel, a caad13 and me on my tarmac), which added on a few km, about 200m of climbing and most importantly half a dozen 15%+ ramps, capping out at 22%.

Absolutely beautiful day for it, with no wind and bright sunshine. It was the kind of England that Brexiteers think the country is like, instead of gloomy and dismal like yesterday.

If anything it was too warm - not so bad starting at 8am meaning we sailed through to the Melton Mowbray control, but by midday it was hot and humid (22 degrees doesn't sound like much, but the humidity peaked at 90% today and yesterday was a full 10°C colder) and generally nasty, leading to a stop on the way back 60k out from home to get more fluids. I also had lots of flies stuck to me due to the sun cream, a superior outcome compared to my riding companions who were literally getting blisters on their arms from the sun. Horrendous.

The other notable event was having to stop for about 10 minutes as a guy was shepherding sheep down the road, blocking it completely. Fortunately we were in no danger of missing the time cut.

I also did a couple of sprints (one at each end) and I somehow managed to get my highest ever 5 second power? What's that about.

All in all, really good fun especially as I've been stuck inside the past few days.

(This includes the ride home but not the ride to the start line, the actual audax itself was a frankly dodgy-for-a-200km-event 224km)

*To any american readers, it's a mixture of pork meat and jellied pork fat in shortcrust pastry. About 3" across and absolutely horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wooger posted:

Have to strongly doubt the claim of ‘never ridden longer than 30 minutes before’.

He’s in for some pain with a big backpack for that long, and without having spent some time finding clothes (weather, Gooch) and a bike position that works.

In for the puncture fix video if he’s as newbie as claimed.

I envy having that much free time.

He's doing about 30 miles a day, he'll be fine