Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Nice breakdown of the societal view of beggars!

I read this book on your initial recommendation, and it's great to follow along in a re-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Team

Sad story of course, but I thought it was really interesting that this is, virtually word for word, the *exact* injury that Sir Richard of the Lea's son inflicted on his jousting opponent.

Known to happen in medieval times too - one of the French kings died that way, whilst celebrating the recapture of Calais with a tournament.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Catching birds by dropping salt on their tales is a folk tale that dates back to the 16th century; I even tried it myself once as a kid (I couldn’t test it empirically, because the birds flew away, which may be the joke).

I just want to point out that Robin's response to the cobbler's credulous enquiry, that they are 'as common as herring in Cannock Chase' seems likely to be some funny bamboozling of someone who's not very well-travelled. Cannock Chase is a forest in the midlands, so herring presumably aren't found there in great numbers!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Robin Hood and Guy of Gisbourne

And an end to jesting. The entire book up till now, Robin has avoided bloodshed at every opportunity, but Robin knows Evil when he sees it, and he knows what to do about it when he does.

Apart from some of the end sequences which we will get to later on, that bit is one of the strongest (I mean most emotive) bits of dialogue in the book to me. It's incredibly stagey and long-winded but it just fits so well, juxtaposed with how cool and collected Robin (outwardly) was in the conversation up to that point. He'll hold it together, but he is just 100% not down with Gisborne and his whole shtick. It really comes off well as an explosion of righteous anger, he was straining to hold himself in the entire time and now, having fulfilled the archery requirement, he's going to put a stop to this.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Really looking forward to the next bit of this. It starts to bring us to the end sequence, which I remember as being very affecting.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Great stuff! Really looking forward to the epilogue. On the historiography side, it's interesting that Robin Hood stuff is firmly on the side of Richard I as a 'good king'. Presumably this was the consensus when his reign solidified as the setting for Robin Hood. I wonder how long after his death that perception came about? It's hard to believe that Richard was too popular in England at the time of his death, with the ransom paying and all. Maybe he just got a huge PR boost off his brother being a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Echoing the praise, this has been a really great and illuminating look at a book I would not have read if not for this online recommendation. I started having seen the title, and swiftly ran ahead of the thread, but was eagerly awaiting each new chapter of commentary.

If you’re in doubt, please heed that warning -- I usually do, and typically stop my re-reads here, and clap to the leaves with a sigh, or return again to the beginning. But this time I am bound to finish this out, so those of us who will, let us take these final few steps together.

I find the last chapter deeply affecting, particularly for how it emphasises Little John's love for Robin Hood. The language may be fairly overblown by modern standards but I definitely feel it when they are reunited in Sherwood and when Little John tries to tell Robin (and himself) that he will survive his injuries.