Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chillgamesh posted:

Need an entire inside-giant-monster zone. Dawntrail zone 6 will be the meat realm

giant of babil so we can get a sick remix to the giant of babil theme

or did we get that remix already and I forgot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Let's combine the meat zone and the underground zone into some sort of magical mystery flesh pit thing! The best/worst of both possibilities!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

blatman posted:

giant of babil so we can get a sick remix to the giant of babil theme

or did we get that remix already and I forgot?

Unfortunately no giant of babil theme.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Flavahbeast posted:

level 100 trial: The War Within

Genuinely hoping the final zone is a cool, completely underground zone.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I said a cool underground zone.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Zeruel posted:

finally, the EVE Online crossover. give tataru a conniption.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mordiceius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2cV4qc3lYo

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mordiceius posted:

It is both underground and in the north, I imagine it is quite cool in there.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Realtalk tho - Labyrinthos is such a disappointment of a zone to me. It feels so unnecessary. To a degree, I like the idea of it, but I feel like every time the MSQ is there, the pacing absolutely dies. Everything that is accomplished in the story of Labyrinthos could have just happened in Old Sharlayan proper.

I get that they need two starting zones for each expansion, but I wish Labyrinthos had been swapped out for something else - perhaps another Ilsabard zone on the far fringes of Garlemald.

I feel like the story wouldn't have required too much rejiggering for that. Instead of going to Labyrinthos as one of the two starting zones, you go to the fringes of Garlemald (or hell, even just make it Corvos) to investigate what's going on with the Empire because there's been strange rumblings going on. You don't learn much, but you do learn that something is wrong. The other half is still the Thavnair part. From there the MSQ continues as normal through Elpis. (Zot->Garlemald->Moon->Thavnair Pt2->Elpis)

Post-Elpis, instead of going to Labyrinthos again, the ship is revealed to be in a warehouse accessible via Old Sharlayan but you need to travel the world for various parts - a key mechanism being in the Garlemald fringes (or Corvos), allowing you to go there for part 2. It would make things more interesting than what we got for Labrynthos part 2. The big emotional beat of that section (Moenbryda's parents) could just take place in Old Sharlayan.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Counterpoint: A giant, living, underground library for all the knowledge Sharlayan has that can't be stored in books, is a sick as hell idea, and nothing you suggested would be even remotely as cool conceptually. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean the biggest issue is that they just needed to stop the fuckin triumphant music after the one cutscene

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I can't wait until that happens again in Dawntrail.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DanielCross posted:

Counterpoint: A giant, living, underground library for all the knowledge Sharlayan has that can't be stored in books, is a sick as hell idea

It is a sick as hell idea. It would be cool if they did anything with it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mordiceius posted:

Realtalk tho - Labyrinthos is such a disappointment of a zone to me. It feels so unnecessary. To a degree, I like the idea of it, but I feel like every time the MSQ is there, the pacing absolutely dies. Everything that is accomplished in the story of Labyrinthos could have just happened in Old Sharlayan proper.

I get that they need two starting zones for each expansion, but I wish Labyrinthos had been swapped out for something else - perhaps another Ilsabard zone on the far fringes of Garlemald.

I feel like the story wouldn't have required too much rejiggering for that. Instead of going to Labyrinthos as one of the two starting zones, you go to the fringes of Garlemald (or hell, even just make it Corvos) to investigate what's going on with the Empire because there's been strange rumblings going on. You don't learn much, but you do learn that something is wrong. The other half is still the Thavnair part. From there the MSQ continues as normal through Elpis. (Zot->Garlemald->Moon->Thavnair Pt2->Elpis)

Post-Elpis, instead of going to Labyrinthos again, the ship is revealed to be in a warehouse accessible via Old Sharlayan but you need to travel the world for various parts - a key mechanism being in the Garlemald fringes (or Corvos), allowing you to go there for part 2. It would make things more interesting than what we got for Labrynthos part 2. The big emotional beat of that section (Moenbryda's parents) could just take place in Old Sharlayan.

No I do not think rerouting several major questlines into the new city which already had many questlines in it would have been a good idea during launch week. Not that I disagree with your analysis of Labyrinthos storywise, but it exists specifically to give you an area to do Sharlayan stuff that is not in the physical Sharlayan city space.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was expecting a Dr. Strangelove/Fallout-style "Labyrinthos is Sharlayan's survival bunker for the coming apocalypse" twist, but I was pleased with the variation on it we actually got, especially given that it became clear that they were trying to save as much of the world's culture as possible, not just themselves. That said, I do agree that the zone itself had a little bit of the HW/StB-style flabbiness that most of the ShB and EW zones dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

No I do not think rerouting several major questlines into the new city which already had many questlines in it would have been a good idea during launch week. Not that I disagree with your analysis of Labyrinthos storywise, but it exists specifically to give you an area to do Sharlayan stuff that is not in the physical Sharlayan city space.

Yeah, like I fully admit my spitballing idea isn't perfect, I just think Labyrinthos could have been better utilized. What we got was... just kinda boring. A good idea for a zone just... not really doing much for the story. I feel like they either needed to punch up the story in those spots or give a better Sharlayan zone.

I feel like one of the complaints we see with Endwalker is that certain parts of the story are too dense or that the expansion feels like "two expansions smashed into one" or "1.5 expansions worth of story with aspects rushed/underdeveloped." And in all of those cases, Labyrinthos doesn't help the situation. I feel like every time we go there, the plot spins its loving wheels for a few hours.

I don't know what the best solution would have been, but I think the Labyrinthos sections are the weakest parts of EW. The Bestways Burrow's part of EW is better than either half of Labyrinthos.