Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

teagone posted:

Le Sserafim's inception being some sort of ad hoc girl group is kinda wild. Makes their success even more impressive, and their group name super poetic, lol.

Certainly explains that :effort: rear end logo which has somehow become very endearing even to me and iconic.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't love the logo but it won like korea's graphic design award immediately iirc

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

teagone posted:

Le Sserafim's inception being some sort of ad hoc girl group is kinda wild. Makes their success even more impressive, and their group name super poetic, lol.

Sakura's presence alone was probably enough to justify the name. The amount of stress that 13 years in the idol business has to have caused. Plus the need to be fearless for the amount of poo poo the rest of the Le Serrafim give her for Yume de Kiss Me. Heh.

Glad things have worked out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah I was chatting with my cousin earlier about all the spilt tea and LSF coming together like seven samurai/magnificent seven style idols is extremely badass, lmao.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

teagone posted:

you're going to hate me for mentioning that its an anagram for im fearless but i will shoulder this burden

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

you're going to hate me for mentioning that its an anagram for im fearless but i will shoulder this burden

That is exactly what I was referring to lmao. They’re sorta like a group of “misfit” idols formed to debut in a cutthroat industry—they gotta be fearless. I also learned the other day their fandom name is a homonym for “blooming” in Korean.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 23, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

That’s what the logo references too, drawing the lines to the same letter between them in case anyone wasn’t aware. It’s kinda messy and dumb, but the way it’s been used in designs and on merch actually works pretty well. The lightstick looks pretty dope when it’s lit up in the dark.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Bottom Liner posted:

Some of the rumor throughlines are crazy. MHJ drained Source (killing Gfriend in the process), Source was saddled with a bunch of debt and left with little staff, scrambled to debut Le Sserafim, and then MHJ maybe even leaked info to sabotage them re:Haram controversy.

In good news Yuqi’s album sold like crazy already, passing 500k preorders which puts her very high in the highest selling soloist charts and around what Nayeon did.

the Yuqi pre-release wasn't my cup of tea, but i like Freak and am glad shes killing it

i like new jeans, imt not the biggest fan or anything but i was surprised looking at a couple threads about the situation on reddit and how everyone is screaming bloody murder at MHJ. i mean its business, all these corporations are taking the lions share from these groups anyway unless they become top tier and renegotiate later on. there are definitely reasons someone who developed and created this "product" to want to improve their position now that nwjns became i guess one of if not the biggest new group in a while, they make it sound like its pure evil haha

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A lot of people are out for MHJs head going back to her days with SM. That’s where a lot of tbe Newjeans debut controversy came from given Cookies lyrics, her terrible response to it, photos she has on her office wall, etc. All of that was definitely dumb, and now if she’s doing stuff that goes beyond personal advancement and affects other artists or her own, people are rightly pissed at her (though they shouldn’t act like it’s personally affecting them, that’s just normal crazy fan behavior).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I was always quite fond of LSFs branding. Learning the lore surrounding the circumstances of their formation/debut from all this inter-label drama has been fascinating and shed some amusing light on their namesake for me, lol.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the shinee fans are posting receipts on her making them do a photoshoot they were uncomfortable with and upset their parents which i guess is why some people have been calling her a pedo for ages

the cookie response definitely made me go ok you're just going to lie i guess

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s what the logo references too, drawing the lines to the same letter between them in case anyone wasn’t aware. It’s kinda messy and dumb, but the way it’s been used in designs and on merch actually works pretty well. The lightstick looks pretty dope when it’s lit up in the dark.

oh SON OF A

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so yeah tmikpop did some more news summarizing and confirmed newjeans were all source trainees that mhj took to the new company hybe gifted her when she didnt want to run source for whatever reason, leaving source with all the debt. korean news apparently scathing about her past comments about newjeans not being a success because of hybe capital when they were all hybe talent and their surprise debut was posted to hybe channels and they were promoted as BTS’ little sisters and so forth

also someone helpfully leaked that she said bang pd ripped BTS off from her so she’ll be lucky to escape with her life at this rate

now i just wanna know if newjeans does the hybe company picnic if na pd does more of those, once she’s gone. newjeans conspicuously not doing the weverse fest and making their own fan app when pushing weverse has been a main priority of hybe making a lot more sense. even little stuff like newjeans members never going on srfm eunchae’s interview show when they have same-age members. heck even starship let ive and srfm do that and a challenge together

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ECgGWuoew

i'm feeling this one's a bit much tbh. Too much going on? it's soooo busy

idk but I love this just like I love all of Kep1er's Japanese tracks, so it's kind of sad this is the official last Japanese title track before the coming disbandment

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Honestly love the le sserafim logo, had no idea it was apparently slapped together.

In Korea there is some serious doomsaying about them at the moment because they apparently screwed up Coachella (??). Can't catch a break I guess.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Someone check MHJ's youtube account, maybe she uploaded the "Le Sserafim disgraced SK at Coachella" videos

Speaking of, I have a vod link in good quality if anyone wants. been jamming to it and the haters should take a hike.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Koramei posted:

In Korea there is some serious doomsaying about them at the moment because they apparently screwed up Coachella (??). Can't catch a break I guess.

I watched it live and thought it was a good, nice set? Do not get the hate that's been circulating, yeah.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Coachella is particularly hard as far as outdoor festivals go because you’re in a dusty-rear end desert, they did as good as any other kpop act has done there IMO, especially with the amount of live singing they did.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
They were great gently caress the haters

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LSF were awesome at Coachella. Broken kpop brains have hilariously unrealistic expectations for live singing while doing choreo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hard to say but i think they just have a lot of antis. their arguments are naturally nonsense and not worth examining (they did so many remixes of that one song!) but as for why they exist,

•they're in the wrong company
•perception/likelihood that chaewon was fixed into izone and took somebody else's spot
•they 'skipped the line' with like hitting the hot 100 and going to coachella i.e. they're popular
•they had a sexy concept from debut bringing a lot of male fans (which they kinda moved away from p quickly)
•the garam school bullying thing i didn't care to dig into because it was immediately clear they'd just drop her

and then yknow it all becomes escalating fanwar tribalism where people arent even mad at the group but get mad at a segment of their fans
week 1 of coachella was not exactly blackpink 2019 but it certainly wasnt the national crisis it seems to have spawned. mostly i'm interpreting this as them breaking through to a new tier of fame

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOK790-wRhk

That's certainly a choice

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Super No Vacancy posted:

hard to say but i think they just have a lot of antis. their arguments are naturally nonsense and not worth examining (they did so many remixes of that one song!) but as for why they exist,

•they're in the wrong company
•perception/likelihood that chaewon was fixed into izone and took somebody else's spot
•they 'skipped the line' with like hitting the hot 100 and going to coachella i.e. they're popular
•they had a sexy concept from debut bringing a lot of male fans (which they kinda moved away from p quickly)
•the garam school bullying thing i didn't care to dig into because it was immediately clear they'd just drop her

and then yknow it all becomes escalating fanwar tribalism where people arent even mad at the group but get mad at a segment of their fans
week 1 of coachella was not exactly blackpink 2019 but it certainly wasnt the national crisis it seems to have spawned. mostly i'm interpreting this as them breaking through to a new tier of fame

I have seen people also say that getting Chaewon and Sakura is cheating?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

personally i think having actual free agents in kpop is cool

todays drop is theyre moving ahead with the suit against everybody

edit also criminal charges

https://x.com/tmikpop/status/1783285026945167644?s=46

https://x.com/tmikpop/status/1783319285865038102?s=46

also the ‘illit plagiarized us’ is now claimed to originate with the newjeans parents lol

in fact if its too awkward to reintegrate newjeans into hybe after all this i’d like to see them do something really off the wall like trade them to sm for aespa. kpop is a sport after all

https://x.com/kchartsmaster/status/1783294744845590559?s=46

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 25, 2024

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I just got into kpop a few months ago. What a bloodsport.

If you watch the coverage of Minji's chanel event yesterday she looks really sad.
Like the camera's close up and you can see it in her eyes

Somehow Danielle is still vibrant and happy or she's the greatest actor in the world.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If NJ gets Fifty-Fiftyed I’m gonna fly to Korea and self immolate in front of hybe

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

seen loona and fiftyfifty posts go around and dont really think theyre even useful hypotheticals. the kids made like 4m apiece last year or something and presumably their contracts are with ador… there’s no basis for nullifying that contract because a 20% owner allegedly tried to pull a coup and get in bed with the saudis. if hybe has the evidence they claim to, one of the dumbest bag fumbles of all time. but i imagine the stuff about their parents will hurt their image a bit just because it raises the specter of the members agreeing with them. wonder what happens to illit!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

seen loona and fiftyfifty posts go around and dont really think theyre even useful hypotheticals. the kids made like 4m apiece last year or something and presumably their contracts are with ador… there’s no basis for nullifying that contract because a 20% owner allegedly tried to pull a coup and get in bed with the saudis. if hybe has the evidence they claim to, one of the dumbest bag fumbles of all time. but i imagine the stuff about their parents will hurt their image a bit just because it raises the specter of the members agreeing with them. wonder what happens to illit!

What's this? If NewJeans gets severely affected by all this garbage, I will be extremely bummed.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
would be really unfortunate because newjeans is hands down the best 4th gen group. imo only weird cyberpunk era aespa competes

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gone Fashing posted:

weird cyberpunk era aespa

Their album title gives me hope for more tracks in the vein of Savage/Girls/Drama and I'm ready

teagone posted:

What's this? If NewJeans gets severely affected by all this garbage, I will be extremely bummed.

I think HYBE will do what's necessary to protect that golden goose. They're definitely the biggest 4th gen group internationally, and only IVE beats them domestically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaifExp4YJg

Chill citypop from ARTMS

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Good news: new NewJeans video tomorrow!

Bad new: Min Hee Jin held an insane over 2 hour press conference where she wouldn’t stop talking for better and mostly for worse. All livestreamed to the whole internet. She’s got so many bones to pick but also didn’t really deny any of the key claims against her from HYBE and was more elaborating on why she ended up in that mental state. Not a big fan of Le Sserafim but ILLIT seems to be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

https://x.com/asianjunkiecom/status/1783400253250830792?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

https://x.com/e_von7/status/1783394321917755419?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

https://twitter.com/kverselife/status/1783421395436773747?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 25, 2024

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Goddamn it.
This should really have been kept private.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah gently caress her for bringing them into it directly and using their emotions like that. What an rear end in a top hat.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Hybe even said in their response to her

https://www.soompi.com/article/1657107wpp/hybe-releases-statement-in-response-to-ador-ceo-min-hee-jins-press-conference

quote:

Also, please stop continuously mentioning artists and their parents as it degrades the value of the artists.

She does give deranged stan twitter vibes, in the sense that if she does resign I feel like she's going to stalk the members and their parents and talk about them publicly as much as possible.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

here's a sober summary

https://twitter.com/tmikpop/status/1783485851462201425

but all the reactions are how crazy she seemed

https://x.com/txtlogism/status/1783394947292639556?s=46

??????????

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 25, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The only people I’m siding with in this whole mess are the artists themselves. I couldn’t give a gently caress about all these execs and companies. Such is the reality of kpop i Guess. What a mess

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

she did not do the newjeans members any favors by mentioning them and their parents in her defense

or by mentioning sakura and chaewon and aespa

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 25, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lord this is hitting nhk world news today now. Cant say i've seen anything like this before.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

what a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

In not person being a shithead news, we've got another Purple Kiss NA Tour.
https://twitter.com/LeoPresents/status/1783148860644233495