Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sebmojo posted:

putting aside the resurrection (just yada yada the ten billion angry ghosts), he is absolutely pursuing a genocidal 10,000 year long war of conquest that murders planets. he could stop at any time.

I think it's clear that he can't. He can only keep up appearances but his rage is now unbounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, I would argue it's pretty clear that Dad-joke John is a very thin veneer over a 10,000 year old inhuman monster, it's just he's pretending really, really hard that it isn't — the only thing I would question is whether he's also trying to fool himself.

(Broad spoilers tagged in case there are new readers on the new page)

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've reached the epilogue of the Harrow audiobook and it sets up Nona better than I remembered. I have some thoughts about how it's all going to end, probably don't read unless you've finished Nona:

I think John is the villain who will be defeated by the end of the series. He sits on the throne of a decaying empire that can't sustain itself because it's built on death magic (thanergy) rather than life magic (thalergy). It's literally impossible for his civilization to grow because they're a 9 house death cult who worship necromancy, and necromancers are weak and pathetic except for their magic. His whole death-based empire is entropy, falling apart - like trying to find a decent rapier in the ninth house but it's actually all of them. He couldn't even recruit new lyctors to replace the ones he was losing, he had 5 at the beginning of Harrow but by the time Nona starts he is down to just Ianthe (who is an infant in lyctor terms).

I think Blood of Eden seeing the houses as "loving zombies" is 100% accurate and the only way John has kept his empire going has been war/conquest/dominion of non-zombiefied planets.

His "perfect lyctorhood" with Alecto will have to be investigated, his ties to Dominicus are strange. He might be some sort of solar system class revenant who is bound to Dominicus, and that's why Mercymorn disintegrating his human form wasn't enough to kill him.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, I would argue it's pretty clear that Dad-joke John is a very thin veneer over a 10,000 year old inhuman monster, it's just he's pretending really, really hard that it isn't — the only thing I would question is whether he's also trying to fool himself.

(Broad spoilers tagged in case there are new readers on the new page)

That's a good way to put it. This is a tragedy, after all. He got what he wanted, but it was more than he bargained for. I find him to be very human (pre-Resurrection), and very much no longer human afterwards.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
More like 4.1 than 5

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mdemone posted:

Nonagesimus. It's right in Harrow's loving name.

Goddamnit.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mllaneza posted:

Goddamnit.

Thank you. I know that I'm not alone.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mad Hamish posted:

I don't think that dinner party was fun for anyone except the reader.

Trying to have one doesn't mean succeeding.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Please, John isn't even half a Muad'Dib in terms of galactic genocide.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm only counting earth, I'm sure he didn't sit on his hands in the following ten thousand years

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm imagining a Garfield strip, but instead of having eaten all the lasagna, Jon Arbuckle is comically upset that Jod mass murdered AGAIN. Gideon plays Otis.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

"I see a war, in my name"

I think Muir is driving toward a lot of the same focus points as Herbert was.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
My Dune analogy for John is "Leto II if he floated up from the chasm, declared "*I* am the Golden Path", and incinerated Siona and Duncan on the spot (plus all Tleilaxu propaganda about his sexual proclivities was spot on)".

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
John is a human being trying to be god. He just sucks at it, because human beings can’t be god, no matter how much power they accumulate. This is a pretty straightforward reading in my mind — being strong enough to quash any dissent doesn’t give you any moral authority, and indeed, John is morally bankrupt, because it’s the only justification he’s got.

John’s primary motivation is that he wants things to be easy. He’ll act like a normal, overwhelmed guy if that makes things easier, and he’ll act like unknowable, almighty God if that makes things easier, but it’s foolish to believe either one is real. We’re dealing with a person who would lie to you about the time of day if it made him feel better for ten seconds.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On the other hand John has the strength to just make his immorality the new standard, but his preconcieved notions and trying to be "liked" by his cult means he only goes halfway in on the commitment. John however is too lazy and spineless for that sort of societal change.

bravesword posted:

John’s primary motivation is that he wants things to be easy. He’ll act like a normal, overwhelmed guy if that makes things easier, and he’ll act like unknowable, almighty God if that makes things easier, but it’s foolish to believe either one is real. We’re dealing with a person who would lie to you about the time of day if it made him feel better for ten seconds.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bravesword posted:

John is a human being trying to be god. He just sucks at it, because human beings can’t be god, no matter how much power they accumulate. This is a pretty straightforward reading in my mind — being strong enough to quash any dissent doesn’t give you any moral authority, and indeed, John is morally bankrupt, because it’s the only justification he’s got.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely," applies to previously corrupted souls, too.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

bravesword posted:

John’s primary motivation is that he wants things to be easy.

he's just like me fr fr

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bravesword posted:

— being strong enough to quash any dissent doesn’t give you any moral authority, and indeed, John is morally bankrupt, because it’s the only justification he’s got.

That was well put

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

bravesword posted:

(Harrow spoilers and Bible spoilers ahead)

On the other hand, John is directly comparable to the Biblical god and his cults like the cults that formed around it. Both of them cleansed an Earth they thought was too full of sin, and let live only the people they deemed innocent enough. Both of them have the faithful martyr themselves in their name. The old testament god especially is consumed with vengeance like John is, smiting peoples and cities, and his chosen people are commanded to go on an exodus, or to go to war, just as the necromancers must move from planet to planet, just as they must war. The new testament god collected apostles around him, and like the lyctors, they pretty much all were executed in his service. This is an all-powerful god. Could he not have saved Matthias from burning? Could he not have saved Peter and Paul from crucifixion? John doesn't really need to run from the resurrection beasts; did the apostles really need to die in such gruesome ways? The books are a way to reflect on what Christianity says about itself, but removed from the context of religion where it may be harder to examine. But there are far too many parallels to scripture for John to simply just be a portrait of man's inability to this wield power.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Uranium Phoenix posted:

(Harrow spoilers and Bible spoilers ahead)

On the other hand, John is directly comparable to the Biblical god and his cults like the cults that formed around it. Both of them cleansed an Earth they thought was too full of sin, and let live only the people they deemed innocent enough. Both of them have the faithful martyr themselves in their name. The old testament god especially is consumed with vengeance like John is, smiting peoples and cities, and his chosen people are commanded to go on an exodus, or to go to war, just as the necromancers must move from planet to planet, just as they must war. The new testament god collected apostles around him, and like the lyctors, they pretty much all were executed in his service. This is an all-powerful god. Could he not have saved Matthias from burning? Could he not have saved Peter and Paul from crucifixion? John doesn't really need to run from the resurrection beasts; did the apostles really need to die in such gruesome ways? The books are a way to reflect on what Christianity says about itself, but removed from the context of religion where it may be harder to examine. But there are far too many parallels to scripture for John to simply just be a portrait of man's inability to this wield power.

*claps happily*

Yes! Yes!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
YHWH never ate peanuts in a meeting, though.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The New Testament was the barest "human-like" gloss on the Old Testament, as retroactively told by people who hadn't been there.

Sounds about right.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm imagining a Garfield strip, but instead of having eaten all the lasagna, Jon Arbuckle is comically upset that Jod mass murdered AGAIN. Gideon plays Otis Ortus.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Once... Very quietly...

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My point, as always, is that humanity deserved to be destroyed in service of the biosphere, but John did not understand what that would entail, and he didn't know an RB from an Arab.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, the peanuts are not really the issue, unless he only brought enough peanuts for himself, in which case that's an excuse for titanomachy right there.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

mdemone posted:

The New Testament was the barest "human-like" gloss on the Old Testament, as retroactively told by people who hadn't been there.

Sounds about right.

You also invoked the Book of Job as an excuse for why Jod can't be judged, but the problem is that he undermines that comparison himself. God has a long litany of "you cannot comprehend the immensity of what I do" but a huge chunk of Nona is Jod explicitly trying to get someone to understand. To comprehend. He fails to measure up to God in Job and shows his mere flawed humanity. And he even admits to it when he talks about how he can't consume Earth's soul, that there's something bigger than him and he's stealing and misusing its power.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

disposablewords posted:

You also invoked the Book of Job as an excuse for why Jod can't be judged, but the problem is that he undermines that comparison himself. God has a long litany of "you cannot comprehend the immensity of what I do" but a huge chunk of Nona is Jod explicitly trying to get someone to understand. To comprehend. He fails to measure up to God in Job and shows his mere flawed humanity. And he even admits to it when he talks about how he can't consume Earth's soul, that there's something bigger than him and he's stealing and misusing its power.

Totally agree. Which is why he's such a god damned great character.

He is not Jehovah, as much as he'd like to be.

Edit: to be clear I am a strong atheist and a voluntary human extinction believer. I sounded a little evangelical there for a minute

mdemone fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 16, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's okay; we can tell you're 17 years old.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

It's okay; we can tell you're 17 years old.

:corsair:

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Uranium Phoenix posted:

But there are far too many parallels to scripture for John to simply just be a portrait of man's inability to this wield power.

Perhaps, but the biblical god is more of an idea, whereas John is very obviously a person. In order for him to truly be a manner of being that is beyond the understanding or judgment of humanity, he would have to shed aspects of himself that he clearly can’t do. He’s not omnipotent, he’s not omniscient, he’s not omnipresent, and he’s certainly not omnibenevolent. He’s a human who has managed to circumvent some of the restrictions of baseline humanity.

Jesus Christ is maybe a closer parallel… but he’s a Jesus who used his godly nature to topple the Roman Empire and ascend the throne of worldly power himself rather than one who martyred himself for the good of humanity.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
As someone who does believe in the God of the Torah (though not so much the Christian stuff), this is an interesting discussion. Job, especially, is probably one of my favourite books of the Bible - certainly as a whole a profound and difficult text - precisely because it deals with the notion that maybe good things happen to bad people and that isn't something that can be justified in terms that we can understand. You can call it a
mystery or you can call it a crack in the skein of the world, but whatever it is, we can't grasp it.

I don't really hold with this notion that the God of the Tanakh is categorically more vengeance-filled: after all, there's no lake of eternal fire in there. But I think it is true that John is most like the Gnostic view of that being: he's a very classic demiurge in a lot of ways, even down to the fact that he created, in a sense, much of the material world of the characters: but that world is false and flawed, and in his jealousy he guards wisdom - gnosis - from those that would seek it. It's pretty notable after Nona that we actually don't have a clue where necromancy comes from, what the true nature of things is - it's all still shadow and shallow, for all its wonders.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just got to the point in that Homestuck made this world podcast where we got to the troll world.

Which involves beings who go out on an endless expansionary war of conquest with a heavily striated caste system at home.

You don't say.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
jod isn't the christian god. he's a greek god: powerful but not omnipotent, vain, arrogant, petty, capricious.

i don't know anything about religion or mythology

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Fucks everything that moves, checks out.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

mdemone posted:

mother fucker
edit: nona spoiler

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mdemone posted:

Isn't this literally why they gave her the name? they know she's Harrow's body, but they don't know whether its Harrow or Gideon in there, hence all the loving about with bones and swords

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it's barely a spoiler imo

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The explicit explanation given early in the book is:

"Nona did not know either of her real possible names. Palamedes said not to lead her unnecessarily. One of the reasons they had called her Nona was that the first thing she had said, when they saved her and brought her here, was No, no. Nono became Nona, and Nona meant Nine, and nine was an important number."

But yeah, that's one of the reasons, and it's not hard to guess the other one that they aren't telling her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Just got to the point in that Homestuck made this world podcast where we got to the troll world.

Which involves beings who go out on an endless expansionary war of conquest with a heavily striated caste system at home.

You don't say.

Lol wait until you get to their weird cult who paint their faces caste.