Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Just finished. I definitely feel like this was a great first half to a book.

It felt like the whole book was mainly building up "refugee atmosphere", which was done well and is something I appreciate, but a ton of it ends up being irrelevant until, hopefully, the next book.

If Nona was Alecto from the start, was there any plan going on there or was she just hanging around with brain damage? She seemed pretty together when she was talking to Varun/The Captain, but I is it just that knowing about the Alecto side of her speeds up her death? We've seen before in these books. I really like the characters and the atmosphere, but a lot of this feels poorly planned, with Alecto just switching bodies so she can be present while the people who want to find her go find her.

One question: Do we know how Anastasia the First died? She was involved in guarding Alecto's tomb, and she almost got perfect Lyctor-hood (which seems odd, now that we know John is a Lyctor off of planet power).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

M_Gargantua posted:

If i'm reading the subtext right any thanergetic planet outside Dominicus will eventually sour and the ecosystem will fall apart. Meaning anywhere the cohort necro's needs to assault is on a lit fuse and in need of population resettlement. So any normal planets that get too rebellious and attract ire end up killing the planet too.

Definitely seems right. They mention in one of the earlier books that the Cohort is there to kill a bunch of stuff to fuel the necromancers. It would make sense if necromancy had to be fueled by planets that are dying more than they are living, the net growth of everything living must be negative. This also goes along with the theme of necromancers just being weaker and less healthy than normal.

They mention in earlier books that everything is on flimsy, because tree-based paper is super expensive in this galaxy spanning empire that can terraform Pluto.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I like Rand Brittain's answer, but also wasn't another rule "Do some push-ups and study spirit magic". These guidelines were written by a newly born amalgam, not a master strategist.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

sebmojo posted:

There is already a perfectly good river metaphor I don't know why you are just ignoring it

Stop trying to make Hyperpotomous happen, it's not going to happen.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think they say In Harrow that the RBs are planet revenants, ghosts driven by revenge, and I think that revenge is against John specifically but also necromancy (esp the Lyctors) in general. It's a little more complicated than that, but they're definitely in a different category from Alecto.

I just re-read the ending of Nona recently. I definitely think it's the weakest part of the book, felt too much like just moving pieces into position and the characters didn't come through as well. But the very last chapter was more fun now that I have a better understanding of what's been going on, and "Get in line, thou slut" is a great ending line and a great summary of the books in general.

StumblyWumbly fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 8, 2023

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Harold Fjord posted:

I think this is wrong and explicitly stated in the book. There's a reason he ate half her power and locked her away

I'm not sure what you're referring to. What I'm talking about is that Alecto was the soul of the planet and John merged with her / ate her / Lyctored. The RBs are more like revenants, John accidentally killed them and now they want revenge.

DreamingofRoses posted:

Y’all are loving up on not spoiling poo poo again, stop that.

“… thou big slut”. Just for accuracy’s sake because that’s the funniest line in the book for me.

I editted my post, but this seems pretty deep in the thread to use spoilers... Thanks for the correction, I knew I should have checked

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'd like to see Calvin and Hobbes strips drawn using characters from TLT, does this already exist somewhere?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Not all bullshit literary tricks are worth the effort, but Harrow is.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

silvergoose posted:

I still maintain that I would absolutely read the gently caress out of the Noniad, and the Pentiad

I would definitely not, but I would definitely read the continuing adventures of Ortus, the sad cav who wants to do good

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I feel like Homestuck was incredibly of its time socially, technologically, and culturally. It's like a full solar eclipse, the people who were there will never forget it, but descriptions make it sound dumber the longer they go on.

"You had to be there at that time"

I never read Homestuck but someone had worked up a host 5-10 years ago and I could see how I would have liked it, but that time had passed.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Coronabeth and Ianthe have an unhealthy relationship, even on the scale of Ianthe relationships.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
My feel on the Ianthe-Coronabeth relationship:
Coronabeth feels like she owes Ianthe a lot because Ianthe has been covering for her lack of necromancy and (IIRC) Coronabeth almost killed Ianthe in the womb. Ianthe views Coronabeth as a child, she feels a bond to her, she won't abide any insult to Coronabeth, and Ianthe also thinks Corona is incompetent on a deep level and so she really doesn't want her off on her own. Coronabeth has built a lot of that "she's secretly horrible" into her, and it is only because of Extremely Special Circumstances that Coronabeth has gone off on her own and is becoming her own person, although she doesn't see the bad parts of her relationship with Ianthe.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

mdemone posted:

Who knows what we might do, if given the power of a god?

To me it's the central thorn of the quadrilogy. I can imagine being both the predator and thinking myself the savior.

I like to think I would not immediately turn off the Sun or genocide humanity so I could resurrect most of the folks I don't hate, but I definitely would eat peanuts in meetings and play tablet games all the time.

There have been a lot of Necro-Lord Primes in literature, but John is definitely the most relatable one, the one I would have a beer with.

Harold Fjord posted:

Guillermo del Toro.
but then Taika Waititi re-dubs the dialog.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It's a necromantic empire tho, is it really mass murder if their bones are wandering around and their souls are maybe accessible in the sewage filled afterlife?

I think focusing on the team vs resurrection beasts went a long way towards making Jod seem not horrible, although they definitely repeatedly killed the should of planets more often than the good guys should.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

sebmojo posted:

I am gonna take the daring 'out there' step of saying that murdering any number of planets beyond 0 makes you evil on a level that language doesn't have words for

The population of Pluto has skyrocketed since it became a necromantic husk of a world tho

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
John's a great, chill dude. It's weird how most chill dudes don't want to be called Emperor. Chill non-Emperors probably have some deep issues, you should not trust those guys.
I am writing this of my own free will.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I want 3 things out of life:
1 - To be known as Necrolord Prime
2 - An expanding empire based on planet killing and revenge
3 - Healthy, supportive friends

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

mdemone posted:

Halfway through Nona. I think I have a grasp on things but I'm still on John's side.
One could argue that the difference between a hero and a villain is whether they are driven by hate or love. even initially, John is driven by a love for his answer for how to save humanity. the capitalists are wrong, but John is not interested in saving humanity, he wants to destroy humanity and create a necromantic empire to destroy the capitalists
There are good points on both sides of the Necrolord Prime good/ bad question

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Every so often, I marvel at the fact that the nineth house are the skull painting weirdos of the necromantic empire.
True brilliance there

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm imagining a Garfield strip, but instead of having eaten all the lasagna, Jon Arbuckle is comically upset that Jod mass murdered AGAIN. Gideon plays Otis.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Has there been any word on an Alecto release date?
Nona came out about 2 years after Harrow, and its been 18 months since Nona...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

sebmojo posted:

Tamsyn's not in a great way, is my understanding, so it will come out when it comes out. Apparently there's a speculative 2025 date but I think that's just a placeholder.

Oof, good luck to her, she's an absolute treasure and I hope she stays healthy.