Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

There are some little details and foreshadowing in the first book but to catch all of it I had to re-read it after I knew what was going to happen.

This. There are so many small details and seemingly throwaway lines in all three books that mean so much more on a re-read.

C-Euro, Harrow the Ninth is super confusing whether you read it right after Gideon or not. It's part of the charm.
You sound pretty on board with the Locked Tomb, so I doubt you'll give up.
Just choose whether or not you want a shorter or longer wait before Alecto finally comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

mdemone posted:

Finally started Nona today. About 20% in and I love it.

But what the gently caress is going on

The book makes a lot more sense if you consult the list of dogs at the beginning as you read.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

sebmojo posted:

It's just really good, maybe because none of it is trying to be something someone would like it's just what she likes

The books are so good because the author is super talented and loves the world and its characters deeply.
A lot of the people in the story are objectively terrible, but they're written in such a fun way that you can't help but love them.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I feel like, over the myriad, Jod reacted to a lot of minor setbacks with a phase. I can see jorts being one.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I agree with Ianthe's point that the cost is the cost, the choice is a yes or no, and you shouldn't get bogged down in tiny degrees of value.
However, when the cost is someone else's eternal soul you don't really get to make that choice for them.

Also, I am going to buy one of those Harrow prints when they're available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

We don't really know whether or not Ianthe and Naberius understood what they were doing when Ianthe ate him.
They were raised at the top of the third house, fully indoctrinated into the cult. Naberius was told from a very young age that he existed to do what Ianthe wanted. We even see Ianthe eat part of him while they're all trying to raise Magnus and Abigail.
Maybe they knew what was going on. Maybe Naberius felt he was doing his sworn duty. We probably know Ianthe sees it as just taking what's hers and doesn't give it another thought.
Right and wrong are subjective and relative to society. We live in world where eating someone is wrong, and I agree with this, but Ianthe does not.

I'm really curious what's going to happen in Alecto and what Tamsyn's overall mission statement is for the series. There's so much here about Christianity and indoctrination and abuse and bad relationships but I don't know if she's trying to make a statement, exorcising her lovely past or just poo poo posting and having a laugh. Probably all of the above.