Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

redleader posted:

don't worry; in the worst case the backup plan is to parachute in brandon sanderson to finish the series

I can imagine no worse fate for this series than for Branderson to get his fingers all over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Zierham posted:

As someone who actually enjoys Sanderson's stuff, I can't help but agree. The magic here is the literal inverse of Sanderson's style/method.
Personally I used to enjoy his books a lot but I've recently soured on the guy in a major way.

Yeah, there's the magic, but also style-wise he is a real bad fit, loving as he does the easiest and clearest possible sentence to get across what's going on. Plus, he cannot write a joke to save his life. Also he is a full-blown mormon who tithes to the church so his relationship with religion is... not one that shares the introspection that this series has. And his character relationship-writing is pretty thin at best.

He would finish the plot, but the plot isn't why I like these books. Don't get me wrong, plot is important and I want to see what happens, but the reason I care about what happens isn't the plot. If that makes sense.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Zierham posted:

Oh, sorry - to clarify by "the magic", I meant what is great about the books.. not the actual magic system! Like you said, Strange Cares, the best part about these books is the polar opposite of what I enjoy about Sanderson's stuff, so him doing it just couldn't work well.

Oh that makes sense. My b, didn't mean to go off on you there.