Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

redreader posted:

I loved this book, Gideon the Ninth, but (full plot spoilers) the end with Gideon dying ruined the whole thing for me. Doesn't make me want to read any more by that author. The book was great until the end though. I really enjoyed it until it made me feel bad.

Imo you should read Harrow, I was also bummed about the ending of Gideon but it's all going somewhere.

Harrow chat don't read if you haven't finished the book:
I'm confused about Harrow's hallucinations/visions of the Body (Alecto?). It said she had visions of her, then they stopped, then after Canaan house they resumed. But did she really have them before or as part of her brain fuckery did she invent memories of these visions in her youth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Notahippie posted:

I don't trust Teacher at all - he also told Gideon to try to kill Harrow but never acknowledged that at all. I think that the Emperor has "kindly aspects," and Teacher is one of them - but they're aspects or roles, not really him. They're archetypes he puts on to interact with humans, but behind it I think he's truly evil and I suspect that in Alecto we're going to learn more about the Blood of Eden crew and realize they're the good guys in the story.

So my suspicion is that Teacher may have been disappointed with the outcome of Canaan house, but the Emperor got exactly what he wanted.

Harrow spoilers:

I've assumed The Emperor was bad news since Harrow revealed what was in the tomb. Things don't seem as black and white since reading Harrow but I think necromancy as a whole is bad news, even if it did save the bulk of humanity. Guess we'll find out...some day.

Also a reminder there's a short story about Palamedes and Camilla set a few years before Gideon the Ninth. It's up for free on Tor.com and they also had a way to sign up for it and they'd email an ebook file. Not sure if that's still an option but if not and it's cool with the mods I can host the mobi file on Google Drive or something. It was never a paid for story so I don't think that falls under piracy but better safe than sorry.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Note that Harrow mentions a day when she particularly wanted to die and went to open up the Tomb and die there, and Gideon mentions a day when she said some particularly nasty things and Harrow went away with most of Gideon's face under her fingernails.

Yeah this was my take too, it would explain why Harrow said it took her so long (years?) to break the wards, because she was missing Gideon's blood and just coincidentally had it during one time she tried.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Pretty hard to get big gains on a diet of leeks or whatever it was they grew on the Ninth House. Gideon and Harrow were essentially malnourished.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

There can be an ending where Gideon and Harrow are both happy and not with each other romantically. Which is what I'm thinking will happen but I don't see myself being disappointed with anything that happens.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I almost never reread books but when Alecto hits I'm absolutely reading through Gideon and Harrow again.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

What is the extra stuff in the ebooks? I read them both at release but I have both ebooks. I guess I'd just have to redownload them.

Also if Kingdom Hearts can be a trilogy across 8 games, Locked Tomb can be a four book trilogy.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

AcidCat posted:

So I'm only through chapter 3 in Harrow and I'm enjoying it but, like something isn't adding up here, and then - what the gently caress is going on? Ortus? Well I'm already hooked on this new madness, no choice but to see where the hell this goes.

:bisonyes:

It will only get weirder before it makes sense (and even then...)
What is the scientologists say? The only way out is through?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I think it was a zine all about the Locked Tomb trilogy (+).

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

An ARC of Nona sold for a grand yesterday on Ebay. That's insanity.

Well someone is about to have a conversation with Tor's legal team!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

Publishers don't really care about people selling ARCs. Or rather, they'll grumble, but won't actually do anything.

That's interesting, I always figured they let it slide for indie stores because that would image suicide to go after them, but I thought doing it so openly would bring some sort of hammer down. I guess their bigger concern is someone uploading the whole book early, but I wonder if they would even deal with that because this series isn't megahuge anyway.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Any way to download that to put on my Kindle?

edit: I forgot how flexible Kindle and Calibre are and did a low-tech of selecting the whole text, pasting it into notepad, and putting the .txt file on my Kindle.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 8, 2022

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

rohan posted:

If you have Harrow on your kindle it might automatically update your copy to include the story at the end — I bought Harrow on release and it now includes As Yet Unsent.

I bought Harrow through Google so I'll have to redownload it to check. But check I will because I want to reread Gideon and Harrow both before Nona.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Just finished. I definitely feel like this was a great first half to a book.

One question: Do we know how Anastasia the First died? She was involved in guarding Alecto's tomb, and she almost got perfect Lyctor-hood (which seems odd, now that we know John is a Lyctor off of planet power).

Ending of NtN spoilers:
I interpreted it as Anatasia locking herself in the tomb once John left. Alecto seemed to recognize her skeleton, I think? That whole epilogue was nuts.

Wild speculation related to NtN spoilers:
Does anyone else think the trillionaires are actually still alive? Somehow? Either because of how FTL works, cryo, or something else out of left field (it's only been a few years since the Resurrection and John's just that good at loving with memories???). There was something Augustine (I think, might have been Gideon the First) said in Harrow like, "Give up trying to find the people who killed humanity" and in Nona John says he's still looking for them, full stop, not looking for their descendants or the original colony or anything else. I don't know it feels poignant to me. On the other hand, John seems like he would carry a grudge for 10k years and punish people who had nothing to do with it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Thinking about The River: (Harrow and Nona spoilers)
In Harrow's ghost world, Abigail Pent talked about finding the place beyond the river. Harrow treated it like a children's fable, and even Magnus seemed embarrassed his wife talked about it. With the stoma only opening for the Resurrection Beasts, I'm wondering if John (inadvertently or otherwise) created the River as a result of his fuckery with souls, and now souls can't move on to the real afterlife - the place Beyond the River which is just the afterlife that would have happened before the Resurrection. I think there was even a part in Nona where someone said the souls in the River are not pre-Resurrection, or something to that effect. I wonder if all the RBs are taken down the stoma (including John/Alecto) the River will disappear, perhaps Necromancy along with it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Nona Spoilers Relating to Gideon's Soul Speculation:

I do think some of Gideon's Soul is still in Harrow's body, both during the events of Nona and once Alecto is back in her body. Remember when Nona had her tantrum, Palamedes (iirc) said she wielded the chair leg exactly like a two handed sword, and Kiriona only used a rapier. Also Nona seems to have Gideon's humor and Kiriona seems to lack some of Gideon's better qualities in general. I wonder if John, knowing Gideon's Soul was in Harrow's body, tried to rip it out and didn't get all of it. Maybe since Alecto was also there she helped anchor some of Gideon's Soul in the body?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Not 100% sure how embedding Instagram posts works but Tor.com put together some Locked Tomb cosplayers on their account:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjlM4c5PXfM/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

There's even a Noodle! (And Pash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Re: Gideon's sword

I figured that Harrow's ultimate goal was to somehow extract Gideon's soul and get her whole again, so she was keeping the sword because Gideon would want her sword back once she was alive again. And since time was working against Harrow she just quickly wrote her future self instructions to keep the sword so Gideon would have it. And maybe she thought she could use it as an anchor for Gideon's soul too.