Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah it was amazing how quickly I went from "uhh I'm not sure I'll enjoy this" (wrt the second person narrator in Harrow) to totally eating it up. I loved slowly figuring out what the hell was going on. Tamsyn was very good at dropping hints and new mysteries every couple of pages. Most fun thing I've read in a while. I was really looking forward to Alecto next year, too, shame that it's going to be a year later than expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Apparently people have received Nona ARCs and I'm :cry: :cry: :cry:

This year has gone on long enough how am I supposed to wait another one?

Edit: source

https://twitter.com/BBolander/status/1454478448869662721?t=LQbqiTt3yPg7ho0b0ByIqQ&s=19

Hey, that's my birthday too, how do I get in on this. Why didn't anybody send me an ARC. :(

edit: poo poo what an embarrassing page snipe. I'm sorry.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Get iiiiiin. Never been so hyped about a book, honestly. I'm gifting Gideon to my partner this Christmas to eventually get her to finally read it. She has a lot of sci-fi classics on her reading pile already and I don't have the right words (beyond repeating my endless praise and love for the books) to compel her to put it on top. But I hope she will get around to it next year and finally realize that space necromancy is glorious.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 15, 2021

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Notahippie posted:

It took me forever to pick it up because the cover blurb "teenage lesbian necromancers in space!" made it sound so incredibly puerile or exploitative. It took until I was bored and the library had a copy before I tried it.

Yeah I think exactly this is what makes her hesitant too. I already tried to explain to her that the lesbian necromancer romance (which she cares little about, she's more into hard sci-fi) is not exactly at the forefront of this and it's more like a whodunnit in an incredibly interesting setting with, uh, ... ⁿᵉᶜʳᵒᵐᵃⁿᶜʸ ᵗʰʳᵒᵘᵍʰ ˢᶜⁱᵉⁿᶜᵉ.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I'd suggest diving in immediately too. Figuring what's what in Harrow is one of the best experiences had while reading, period. The second-person narrator is a little jarring to begin with, but it all works out beautifully in the end.

Also happy to report: I gifted Gideon to my partner for Christmas, worrying that she might not like it as much as I did. But she's positively devoured Gideon and bought and read Harrow for herself all within the span of barely a week. :3

I have now someone to share the painful wait for Nona with.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You can always just skim over the sections recapping Harrow's adventures with her cavalier in the first book. They're worth reading though, they're from her POV, which is refreshing.

This seriously makes me wonder if you did just that and maybe missed the point? Because absolutely do not do this.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The whole book is going to be written from the POV of a burger, isn't it. Things get really heated when Nona pours some hot sauce on it in act 2.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

edit: late, but burger. also dog. cover good.

edit2: There's an interview, too!

https://www.vox.com/culture/22901210/nona-the-ninth-cover-reveal-tamsyn-muir-interview-locked-tomb-series

Oenis fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 27, 2022

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
cool it with the alecto spoilers please

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
We're almost there, just one month to go. Don't give up, skeletons. Nona the Ninth is out on September 13. I haven't been this excited about a book release since A Song of Ice and Fire, however long ago that was.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Does anyone know when the paperback for Nona is out? My partner is pretty peculiar about books and loves abusing them by folding them in half (ungh) and also the other 2 parts are paperback as well so. I'm in EU, dunno if that makes a difference. Haven't found anything on the internet and don't know where to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Bayham Badger posted:

really my only headcanon casting that I stand by is John is Taika Waititi

IIRC Tamsyn has said that's how she imagines him, so this is the canon answer.