Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

So on July 1st I started coming down with COVID. By sometime from the 6th to the 8th, I started to feel a bit better, and then I had a sort of mental THING happen and became very depressed and anxious and incredibly lonely and anhedonic in a bunch of unpleasant ways relating to extremely preexisting brain problems that hadn't been this loud in years.
The day immediately following this I staggered down to the park, sat under a tree, and read Nona the Ninth. I'd sort of peripherally soaked up a lot of the rough outline of the books without trying because of the internet and spending a fair amount of time over the pandemic reading random fanfic authors, and I felt I needed to read something about someone living in a hosed up place with people who loved them and who loved everyone.
So I read it. Somewhere in the middle or right after that I came to this thread and checked the last page or so and I saw

Zierham posted:

I know this has been posted here before, but (spoiler if you haven't finished Harrow yet) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJOuUJNcx8 is so amazing. Saw it after reading them all but not having listened to any of the audio books and its why my second "read" was with Moira Quirk.
so that video plopped into my head pretty hard in a good way. And then a few days after that I read Gideon the Ninth. And then a while after that I read Harrow the Ninth, and yesterday I finished rereading Nona the Ninth and started reading through this thread, and now I'm caught up and I'm sort of reading Gideon again.
The last time I had this sort of (ongoing, but I think it's dying down - I feel pretty bad in the morning, better by early afternoon and totally normal by around 5-6) mental thing happen, one small but identifiable part of the whole issue was that my brain was stuck on a small slice of fiction and emotionally overinvested in it and I could tell it was and I didn't want it to be. But this doesn't feel like that, it's more like, I don't know, that I've got a very sore throat in my brain and this entire series is a nice cold popsicle. I'm quite attached, but I don't feel like it's in a way that's making anything hurt more. And I'm looking forward to Alecto. It'll be odd to read one of these without inadvertently knowing the shape of the story, but in a good way.
Apologies for the oversharing. Thanks, all of you.

tl;dr: got covid, brain broke, locked tomb helped I think.

edit: also is 'yop' a new zealand thing a gideon thing or something else entirely i'm sure i must have more questions but that's the only one i can rememmber.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ORTUSfield ate all the lasagna....but the lasagna is sitting here, untouched.
*Blood leaks from every cranial orifice.*
Mondays!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

mdemone posted:

How the hell do you put together a Jod fit that is actually recognizable as such?!?
M_Gargantua put some coloured contact lenses in for the spooky eyes, wore something slightly first-house opalescent, dressed like some millennial guy, and is Taika Waititi.