Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Remember when drawing fanart, Naberius Tern was just a huge monitor lizard, godspeed.
(But also Gideon and Harrow are Māori, and I never want to let people forget it)

I've always pictured Gideon as super-pale white with freckles and bright red hair, because there's a point where Septimus goes "Oh! You're a ginger!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I sorta feel like Camilla should be a bit closer to "McDonalds! McDonalds!"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Entropic posted:

Pretty sure the woman who can't remember her identity in the epilogue is Harrow, Camilla is the one helping her.

My take was that it could be Harrow or Gideon. Note that right before the epilogue Harrow sealed herself up in the same place that where Gideon had been locked away in her mind.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Entropic posted:

Ianthe meanwhile starts out seeming just terrible, proves herself to actually be excitingly terrible in more ways than you thought, but is somehow still a compelling character you want to stay around.

Ianthe is probably my favorite character. She's so incredibly terrible, and I love it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The audiobooks are good for that because the VA gives every character a very distinct voice, which makes them instantly recognizable even if you don't remember the name.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ianthe and Silas Octakiseron are probably my two favorite characters in the first book, almost entirely on the strength of Quirk's voices for them. Ianthe in particular is just perfect.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fourth House best house.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ianthe is really good. Remember that she didn't get the keys to the labs that held the research. She pieced together the process just from doing the tests that would have unlocked the keys. It's quite possible that she'd realized what the process involved by then.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

so while getting some juice I'll say the prose in Nona is more straightforward than Harrow for anyone still reading this thread that found Harrow off-putting.

I found Harrow irritating just because I do not like second person perspectives. I know why she made that choice, but it was a really goddamn irritating choice.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dad bod Magnus would totally work, imo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tbh, after listening to the audiobooks I'd be good with just letting Moira Quirk voice everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kesper North posted:

This is essentially stated in the text. I was directly referencing The Unwanted Guest, in which Palomedes and Ianthe discuss her scammability:

I don't think this is really evidence of scammability so much as the fact that she is, as she said, obscenely wealthy and disdainful of bargaining. She'll pay the price or she'll walk away, but she's not going to lower herself to haggling. If you just outright told her that she's an rear end in a top hat and you hate her and you're charging her triple, she'd probably just pay the increased price and make a comment about charity to the poor.