Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Finished Gideon, found the whole thing quite enjoyable except for a fairly minor detail I hoped the Emperor will be more terrifying and dread inducing but he is kinda just a sad man

Now off to start Harrow!

LOL@ Necromantic aptitude: lesbian

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Although if I were to complain - someone should take thesaurus from her, she uses shitton of obscure words for no good reason IMO. I never had to use kindle's dictionary so often with any other book ever.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Franky I don't get why does the book or most of the thread consider saving the emperor a bad thing? I mean not once previously to confrontation anyone complained about necro imperialism, he was the resurrector. and now all of a sudden he sucks. in a span of like 2 pages. Don't forget that sun will go out and everything we care about will die

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am kind of confused about the scale of things. Books never really tell you the population of planets The only number we get is around 100 dead children, making the entire population of the ninth planet around 300-500 people? And the first has no people? Unless they live on other plates and are never mentioned? Compared to that it feels like the second should have vastly bigger population since they are in charge of fielding armies

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

200 children. Harrow is a walking war crime 200 times over.

Well the necrolord prime is apparently 10 billion, although is a different way seemingly

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Yeah but he did that on purpose, Harrow had no say in the matter

He nevertheless resurrected, he is after all the resurrector

E: I like those fan pictures, but why do they all make Gideon look like a man?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

wow

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

But maybe do tell tumblr that Gideon is a tough, cool lesbian, who is a lesbian in the sense of being a recognizably female woman who is hot for other recognizably female women. Because without the "Griddlehark" caption my take on that pic was "why did somebody post a pic of some Goth chick and her boyfriend?"

Exactly. In my mind I saw her as more elegant, more or less like she is on the cover.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

It's all very biblical, you know. What would happen if someone like Jesus actually appeared in the 21st century, able to cure cancer with a touch. How would our governments and media treat this person? What would you do if you had the powers of god, but the whole world feared and hated you? The Christian god punished humanity's misdeeds with a flood and started over.

John is a horrible, evil person, and also a very normal, very human one.

This id partly covered by Dostoyevsky's the Grand Inquisitor.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is it just me or Nona was kinda meh?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I read the short story and it was pleasant to read, however what concerns the punchline that Ianthe is merging with Naberius - so what? Why should I or her or anyone give a poo poo? What does it really change in principle or in terms of book plot?

Also, what concerns Nona, it kinda left me with a nagging sensation that there is no longer a reason to care about character's fates. IMO Muir overdone it with evolving the rules of necromancy, at this stage she can pull anyone's soul from the river, merge souls, split souls, resurrrect souls. So what does it matter if a character dies?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dolash posted:

Really bringing me back to some of the latter-day Homestuck arguments about consequences, stakes, and the ability to give a poo poo. I get your meaning about the stakes of death as they stand in-universe, in the story, but I think with how metatextually-aware the whole story's been written that those are the wrong stakes to worry about.

Whether someone is technically dead or alive within the story is less significant than their struggle for control over and place in the narrative. Jod wants to be the sole author of what is and is not true in this world, Harrow lobotomized herself and the narrative in an effort to fight that prewritten fate, Gideon's most heroic and destined feature is being our everyman reluctant protagonist perspective character, Ianthe's most fundamentally Vriska-like feature is her resentment over not being the protagonist and her attempts to usurp the story.

The supporting cast from the first book are welcome back as ghosts because being dead doesn't have to stop them from being supporting cast, something played with in the second book with the fan-fiction turn at the coffee shop. The loss of Nona as a perspective is far more painful to the reader than her factual death (if she could be understood to live or die). For Ianthe, discovering that her character and identity is "contaminated" by Naberius is probably the worst blow struck to her so far.

It's not wrong to care about and pay attention to the ground rules a story sets out about things like life and death. It does help to ground things like our expectations and our understanding of events. The tension of danger and the significance of loss. In this case though I think the real mechanisms governing these things are different than the ones presented on the surface.

Of course, your mileage will vary. I just thought it was an interesting perspective you shared and wanted to share mine, because I've definitely been there before.

Thanks for you thoughts. The thing is, I am not just looking at these books like universe in itself but also as a book. I think you do the same. It is author's job to get me involved to care about the characters. Gideon's self-sacrifice meant something, thus I was impressed. Harrow's whatever it was, was profound it was amazing to read and it was capitalized on Gideon's absorbtion. And Jeb's death? Is it really? Did he die or seemingly will be pulled out. And then we get Nona for some reason. I was really dissapointed with Nona. The intrigue, who is Nona? The book is called Nona the Ninth, so it is obvious that she is from the ninth house which is either harrow or someone who Nuir will create on the spot. None of these options excited me because Harrow the book was powerful enough and I want something else now and new character is meh. And than it's Harrow again, ok.

A lot of people posted that change is worse than death? Is it really? Tamsyn wrote a whole goddamn novella about Pam and Ianthe but IMO everything Ianthe lost is her pride. She had a plan, than proceed go do whatever you planned. Does Babs being part of her soul stopping her? No, do it anyway if you want to. Or don't if you don't want to. Pameledes leaves the mental space as a victor, but what did he win? It was a childish argument and the result is basically "and he was albert einstein". I feel like Tamsyn Muir is deteriorating as a writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah, ok. I guess I stumbled into YA literature and now complaining that it's for teenagers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)