Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just finished reading Nona. What in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It all mostly makes sense, it's just a severely WTF situation

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

I can't bring myself to hate John the way so many people seem to. Like, ok, sure, he killed an entire solar system, but it's not as though he was really in his right mind when he did it. The Earth gave him the power of necromancy with no training, preparation, or explanation. She can't put the tool into his hands without telling him how to use it and then get angry when he fucks it up.

I don't think that there was anything even remotely close to a good outcome for that entire situation.

It's all very biblical, you know. What would happen if someone like Jesus actually appeared in the 21st century, able to cure cancer with a touch. How would our governments and media treat this person? What would you do if you had the powers of god, but the whole world feared and hated you? The Christian god punished humanity's misdeeds with a flood and started over.

John is a horrible, evil person, and also a very normal, very human one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Everyone posted:

He's a horrible, evil person because he's a very normal, human one. John's story is essentially Bruce Almighty redone as horror (or at least horror-comedy). What happens when you give a regular human person the power of God? Really bad, awful things because a normal human person isn't going to have the Godlike wisdom or Godlike compassion to go with that Godlike power.

Not to defend the literal genocide of humanity, or many horrible things that happened afterward, but it's also a question of "what if you gave a normal human the power of God, then betrayed them and pushed them past the breaking point?" and I think the result isn't surprising at all.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Also he is definitely not sorry

Only sorry he was only able to stop one of the escaping ships

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dr. Sex

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nona didn't jump around chronologically and "x days until the Tomb opens" wasn't quite as "what the gently caress is going to happen" suspenseful as "x days until the Emperor is murdered" so it's a bit less of a mindfuck of a story

Harrow also has that eureka moment when you, the reader, realize she did a find-and-replace in her brain and for me nothing in Nona quite matched that

I really liked Nona though! She and Noodle are my friends.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 28, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

Nona loves you.

I know and I worry for her health.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gideon Without Gideon in the style of Garfield Without Garfield

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If anything about John and the Empire's age is a lie, it might be older, not younger. He might have killed and resurrected his friends many times trying to perfect them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This was posted in the OSHA thread but it made me think of this series:

https://twitter.com/atters1000/status/1691749164386779308

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Just imagining an anti-necromancy planet having those signs up all over the place

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The corpse number only goes up but the fever breaks and it all makes sense at the climax of the book

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I look forward to seeing what completely different writing style she uses for Alecto

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

a story told from Noodle's POV would be rad

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Noodle is the final Resurrection Beast

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr. Bones' Wild Ride is from 4chan and became pretty well known on the internet on its own

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Is there's a cliff's notes summary of Homestuck I can read in 5 minutes or less

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You know John's face is on every denomination of their money

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Harrow comes together in a huge mindfuck ending too

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Two souls neurodiverged in a city...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So just where is Harrow's personality while her body is being occupied by whatever it is

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hmm I was thinking those flashbacks/memories were closer to the end of the 21st century I don't think we'll have FTL ships within the next couple decades

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He didn't cause the climate disaster that began before he was born but yeah he did admit to destroying the whole solar system and while he could be lying about that, the truth would have to be pretty bad to be worse

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I am re-reading Gideon after finishing Nona and it's fun spotting little clues, like Dulcinea saying she feels like she's been sick "ten thousand years"

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 19, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Isn't trying to kill someone you know is unkillable more or less just suicide-by-god?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well yes he's a terrible person, but do you know anyone better for the job

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

StumblyWumbly posted:

There have been a lot of Necro-Lord Primes in literature, but John is definitely the most relatable one, the one I would have a beer orgy with.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zierham posted:

We're reporting live from a small Diner on Uranus, talking to blue-collar skeletons who work the fields to provide the paste for the Eighth House, and asking whether they support the Necrolord Prime! We're hearing they fully support him to the extent we can get any sort of communicative response... And we've just learned that their mere existence is assumed to be 100% in support of Jod, without whom they wouldn't be animated, so we're breaking the news that there is 100% support for him here on the ground. Back to you in the studio!

It's like Starship Troopers but the bugs are just ordinary humans

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In that particular moment I think he was just really, really mad. The maddest anyone has ever been, probably. Not justifying it. But I don't think there was any long term plan at that moment.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

sebmojo posted:

sorry i kind of bang on about this but john is a triumph of writing, like he's ultra hyper hitler based on a flatly factual recitation of his actions, but you can't help but like the guy :shobon:

He's an absolutely perfect villain

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There are some little details and foreshadowing in the first book but to catch all of it I had to re-read it after I knew what was going to happen.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Uranium Phoenix posted:

To defend Jod (though under no circumstances do you have to hand it to him), "There are no laws, do as thou wilt" is a good test of character. These are, after all, going to be super-powered immortal liches who can teleport throughout the cosmos and murder planets at a whim, so you want to be sure they're not sociopathic monsters before they ascend.

Well, uh, there's no follow-through on doing anything about all that after you've discovered their true character, but I'm sure he was just busy or something.

I agree that's basically a character test but it seems designed to help the sociopathic monsters succeed

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Plus all the people John is keeping in his fridge

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

if he's not bound by human desires, then explain all the orgies

(please don't explain all the orgies)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What's the point of living 10,000 years if you can't have dinner parties and gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kesper North posted:

writers can't really afford to have things "go wrong", i'm very worried

at least she lives in a country with civilized healthcare