Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
In the Harrow epilogue Camilla doesn’t seem to remember how to use her sword or know how to use necromancy (“just do what feels natural” while holding both rapier and bones), and the woman(?!) helping her seems to have Palameides’ gray eyes and asks her if she’s worked out who “she” is yet.

Palameides said he’d nearly figured out how to do the emperor’s version of the lyctor ritual, so my best guess is that Palameides is in one of these bodies, but I’m not sure which or why both are female. The Palameides-eyed face sounds more like Camilla’s face (didn’t she have bobbed hair in Gideon?) and I don’t know why a reconstructed body for him would be female (unless he cloned her). So maybe he is “Camilla” and doesn’t have his full recall yet. Not only does he not recall she is Camilla, he doesn’t recall that he is not.

Regardless, the forgetful Camilla POV is a lyctor who heals instantly, so this pair is definitely C&P. Presumably Harrow and Gideon work out a similar deal in Alecto, and who knows what Ianthe does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Entropic posted:

Pretty sure the woman who can't remember her identity in the epilogue is Harrow, Camilla is the one helping her.

Oooooh. I thought it was some totally separate scene and characters, but that makes sense. Harrow’s body with her healing factor but no memory of necromancy, swordsmanship, or her history.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Gideon the Ninth epilogue note: Gideon’s body wasn’t recovered from Canaan House, and potentially the Second cavalier or Blood of Eden science could have preserved it well enough for Harrow, possibly with Palamedes’ help, to stick her soul back in it.

Also re: H the 9th Gideon the Lyctor died and the Resurrection Beast is gone, but it’s not explicit what happened to it. Are we to presume the beast left for some reason or did Gideon suicide it into a stoma off screen?

Drone Jett fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 7, 2020

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
So what’s the deal with the missing Resurrection Beast? There were nine, they killed five, three remained at the beginning of Harrow. Alecto?

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

silvergoose posted:

I feel like the final one is in John, because that's kinda how he described the resurrection and Harrow's parents' conception ritual? I dunno.

Maybe why the others chased him and a stoma opened for him.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Harrow epilogue: compare Camilla’s eye description to Palamedes’ in Gideon: ”his eyes were a perfectly lambent grey: unflecked, unmurked, even and clear.”

Epilogue: “It felt as though she had always been fond of the face, and of the dark, sharply bobbed hair; and she loved without reserve the eyes—those great lambent eyes, the iris so skilfully and gently blent that it seemed there was no tint or shade in that clear and beautiful grey.”

They’ve merged, presumably without one being eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Did Wake’s full name work for anyone as a joke or am I right that it was pure cringe?