Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just started this so I can't linger too much in the thread but Cam and Pal are cool and good and my friends. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Love the bit where Coronabeth rattles all this dueling terminology off and Pal, one of the smartest people in the room but not about this because he could not give less of a crap, just in essence goes "buh?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks for the audiobook recommendation. Moira Quirk is a delight. I especially love her The Horrible Teens.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm sure I'm the only one to whom this new but just in case we get like somebody even newer in the thread:

Aw, Magnus. :smith: And his wife, who seemed nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Cam," Palamedes said. "Go loud."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robo Reagan posted:

every quote is the best quote in the series

Untrue, I just came to the best one.

Gideon said, “Did you know that if you put the first three letters of your last name with the first three letters of your first name, you get ‘Sex Pal’?”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well! We've taken a trip to the pool and things have certainly jumped off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mewse posted:

Harrow has a ton of flashback sequences to book 1 that really, really benefit from having just read it

Yeah, I thought about taking a break having just finished it but I really don't want to. Does Quirk do the audio version for Harrow as well? (And Nona, which one figures I'll get to eventually.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Picked up the Harrow audiobook. Didn't expect that now I was the Ninth House necromancer goblin turned Lyctor but you never know the places you'll go.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harrowhark is great so far. Many questions which I do not ask because they're all spoilery as heck.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is charming to find that even after 10,000 years somebody can still be really bad at metaphors.

(Magma fish.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was charming how quickly Pal nixed the notion of becoming a Lyctor because of what it would do to Cam.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This may be a spoilery question but regarding Harrow the Ninth: By the time we get to Harrow and Ianthe as Lyctors, there's only three original ones left?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heh. "Diet Lyctor."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't know if there's ever been serious talk of the books being filmed and while that's always a risky venture I sincerely hope that it might one day happen so I get to see Ianthe companionably chucking Harrow on the chin and the latter's outrage at it hot enough to give birth to a star.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Okay, did not expect (Harrow spoiler) surprise distraction threesome.

Honestly it is probably only due to her powers Harrow has not combusted in outrage/embarrassment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harrow the Ninth: Cam and Pal are back! Well, the latter in a mostly metaphysical sense. :allears:

Also finding Cytherea's body under her bed means this is yet another person only Harrow can see and frankly I think it's taking a toll on the poor girl.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heck yeah. The big (wo)man is back.

."Oooooh, Palamedes. I am measurably less intelligent than you. Put your tongue in my mouth, and I'll flop my tongue against it."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I have now finished this thread and have nothing left but the wait for Alecto. My buddy, who's also terminally online, was delighted as I sent her the memes and fan art from this thread that she saw when they were fresh.

A pal (heh) has been sending me some safe stuff as well. Mostly of Cam and Pal because they are cool and good and my friends.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"All I can say is that it was complicated back in Canaan House, and sometimes a cute older girl shows you a lot of attention, because she's bored or whatever, and you sort of have this maybe-flirting maybe-not thing going, right, and then it turns out she's an ancient warrior who's killed all your friends and she's coming for you, and then you both die and she turns up ages later in the broiling heat on a sacred space station and like, it's complicated. Just saying it happens all the time."

Like the speaker, I am also a bit puzzled, but what a ride.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Watch out, folks. Dulcinea is tired of roses, but horny for revenge. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's the thing that got me to read the books in the first place.

Then I apologize for sending you that link elsewhere.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

Nona's nominated for a Hugo for Best Novel

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1677356955432624135?s=20

Happy Birthday Congratulations, Nona :woop: :woop:

Also Locked Tomb for best series, I believe. I've ever read some of two other of the nominated series (Rivers of London and October Daye) and they're both fine but they don't have Cam or Pal or Mercy or etc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rambling update: Now Augustine has seen Gideon's eyes in Harrow's face and flipped out and run off. Ianthe continues to be Ianthe or, to quote Gideon, a "tall glass of skank." (Gonad was kinda funny, though.) Summoning Matthias Nonius as a literal figure of epic poetry to fight off the Sleeper was a cool move, even if both seem nonplussed at being forced to speak in meter. Nonius has just stabbed the Sleeper through the heart, so we'll see how that takes.

Also, I finally blew my free Audible credit on Nona.

Edit: For having to read all that, please enjoy this picture of Cam and Pal arm-wrestling:

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 11, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

silvergoose posted:

Just to warn you, you know how irritating and confusing and weird the first few chapters of Harrow were, the feeling that literally everything was wrong?

Nona is as different from Harrow and Gideon as Harrow was from Gideon. I still can't fathom how Muir wrote such differently toned books in one series.

Oh. Oh, dear. :ohdear:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So, Harrow spoiler, right: I don't want to alarm anyone but a third of Commander Wake's appears to be an Eminem lyric.

Also she is very angry about necromancy indeed, blames what I'm going to guess was all the people who died before the Resurrection on God and also impregnated herself with Gideon the Ninth and is apparently close to Gideon the First and now I don't know what.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

silvergoose posted:

The horror in Harrow's head at Mercy calling God something as human as John was so good.

Or any time he would offer Harrow tea and a cookie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harrow question: So I've been listening to the book in irregular chunks so I'm sure I missed something but was it seeing Gideon's eyes in Harrow's face that made Augustine and Mercy realize Perfect Lyctorhood was a Thing or something else? The follow up question is why didn't Jon want the Lyctors to be perfected but I'm guessing he was afraid of making more Alectors, maybe?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Mercy and Cristabel were married, and then Cristabel formed a suicide pact with Augustine's brother because nobody wanted to eat their best friend and use their soul as fuel for the next myriad. Finding out they didn't have to die would make someone pretty mad.

I didn't catch that at the time but remember it now. The 'under pressure' bit meaning Augustine and Mercy had to hurry up and kill their brother/wife before they could off each other could indeed leave you feeling pretty raw for a few millennia.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Epilogue plus As Yet Unsent: Wow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

silvergoose posted:

They're all just such disaster lesbians.

Honestly disaster pansexuals in a lot of cases.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

Source: bodyhorror on Tumblr

how DARE

It's my good and cool friends.

Although semi-seriously, it does feel like everybody who runs across Cam is kind of into her (save Pal for obvious reasons).

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 15, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm taking a short break before diving into Nona but I approve of the description. Apparently Nona likes to meet new dogs so we have a lot in common already. Also she loves me? That's nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well Nona's just a delight, isn't she?

I see Cam's picked up a passenger at some point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

the power of noodle

Reading Nona put the booties on Noodle lead me to think that Muir had done that herself a time or two.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Update: Have adopted use of Dulcinea's 'very trag.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"What is this 'internet'?"
"See? I did create a utopia."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FuturePastNow posted:

I really liked Nona though! She and Noodle are my friends.

Nona loves you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Reclaimer posted:

I recently started Seven Blades in Black and the main protagonist hits pretty similar to Gideon.

Wasn't Sykes revealed to be a sex pest or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So in John's flashbacks we have reached what I like to call 'Phase Weekend at Bernie's and I am giddy at the thought of Muir actually mentioning said reference.