Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it also works because the memes, in a way, are a deliberate register change. Gideon's manner of speaking marks her out as the "punk" in a world of gothic aristocrats, and so it helps her stand out without making the world seem inconsistent, because most other characters stay in their lane.

This is spot on, and a primary reason why I identified Gideon as the narrator pretty early on in Harrow. This line in particular:

quote:

...for which you would one day jerk her white and beating heart from her colourless ribcage and eat it dripping before her. You did not examine eat it dripping as you maybe should have done.

jumped out at me right away. It's unmistakably Gideon's voice — you're not going to get a "that's what she said" joke, even textually, from any of the self-serious goths that make up the rest of the cast.

drat, what a fun and good series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU