Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That...sure is a chart...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean the only one that is definitively correct is Gideon, of course.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Khizan posted:

I sorta feel like Camilla should be a bit closer to "McDonalds! McDonalds!"

Her rolling her eyes while pushing a half plate of food towards Gideon is one of those moments that just sticks with me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So I gather the word after "someone's crying, lord" is kumbaya, but what's after "“Oh—” He used a word you did not understand. “Harrowhark, no theorems!”"? Jesus, maybe?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Drone Jett posted:

So what’s the deal with the missing Resurrection Beast? There were nine, they killed five, three remained at the beginning of Harrow. Alecto?

I feel like the final one is in John, because that's kinda how he described the resurrection and Harrow's parents' conception ritual? I dunno.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah, like, I don't exactly feel like I could prove it with text, but it seems plausible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

well I sure didn't catch this the first two times through HtN

...said Ortus. Harrow regretted not making him take a solemn pledge of silence, to walk the pace as the mute and intimidating bulk his father had been; but only a very obedient idiot of a cavalier would have stuck to that.

Ah, foreshadowing. I mean, pastshadowing? Whatever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Drone Jett posted:

Did Wake’s full name work for anyone as a joke or am I right that it was pure cringe?

Works perfectly for me, and it's clear that a lot of what people say is stupid tumblr humor is (in universe) references by idiots who refused to let their era of pop culture go.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

Reading some non-spoilery reviews for harrowhawk, I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds the books hard to follow sometimes.

Oh I found harrow very, very hard to follow the first time through, but that's pretty deliberate given the constant jumping around between different times.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"Your tolerance for man-eating magma fish would have been tested sorely by anyone who was not God."

seriously it's sentences like this that just make me laugh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh my god please tell me that Harrow is not written mostly or entirely in second person.

I had no idea how much that triggered me until I read the first page and recoiled in horror.

Mebbe half. I still don't get the hate from folks on that, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. I didn’t know I hated until I ran into it.

I don’t think I’ve read a second person book since my last Choose Your Own Adventure.

The other one recently was The Fifth Season which I guess you might want to avoid now! (it's one of my favorites, so clearly the concept doesn't bother me)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Collateral posted:

I just took it to be Gideon's perspective of the goings on told through an internal narrative, since Harrow had absorbed her. The circumstances of what she had done to herself told to herself since she didn't want/couldn't to do it for herself

You do have an internal narrative, right? I thought that was normal.

I would describe HtN as frustrating more than anything else. It's a good book.

Oh it's undeniably Gideon's perspective, but that doesn't change one's like or dislike of 2nd person narrative. Just doesn't work for some people.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gatts posted:

I heard there were lesbian necromancers raising bones... :newlol:

The execution of this joke in the second book is pretty spot on.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I really liked it in both. Different tastes, I suppose!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Entropic posted:

It's arguably the biggest clue as to Gideon v2.0's true parentage.

I really don't think meme lordship is genetic.

I

...think

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dang that's a long long time

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"I wrote Gideon focusing on an inevitably homoerotic relationship between every woman who stands next to another woman for more than five seconds."

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-butch-lesbian-sci-fi-aesthetic-a-conversation-with-tamsyn-muir/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I read some of Dorothy Dunnett's stuff as a teen (game of kings, queen's play), and had to look up so, so many words.

Didn't need to look up oriflamme, though, that I knew from a certain magic card.

Short story shorter, looking up words is fun and good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There's also the unknowns about how he came to be god, and that could be super super creepy and awful. How many billions died... We'll find out in 2022!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Was it ever explcitly stated why God made the Lyctors unecessarily kill their cavaliers? Would having a live cavalier allow them to become as powerful as him?

Not explicitly, so also, 2022!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

seven for beauty that blossoms and dies...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

drat, those are really good

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Anxiety and stress woke me up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep

Yep decided to read Gideon again and it's just so good. Like other books that I reread for comfort, I notice new things every time I read it, this time paying even more attention to dulcie's chatter during the avulsion challenge. Good stuff.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

goddamn

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

A friend created this review:

"Delightful, pure entertainment: it's got sly humor, emotional intensity, lovely fight scenes, and a thrillingly low-key sexiness, and it's just about as unlike Gene Wolfe as a pulp-inspired planetary romance about a sword-wielding orphan in a black cloak who was raised in a necropolis and quests to serve the enigmatic demiurge-king of a dying far future empire can possibly be."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah that's amazing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If her jaw was replaced, whatever the gently caress she did to ensure Ianthe didn't tell harrow what she had done might be gone.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Love the post, but one thing I specifically disagree with.

It's pretty obviously our solar system, but the houses are not named by distance from the sun, but to me, by order of settlement. First is earth, second the warlike soldiers is Mars, jovial fifth is jupiter with its poems about a giant red spot, sixth is mercury closest to the sun, seventh is the other close by and it's obsessed with beauty which fits Venus.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

...huh. Okay that's downright intriguing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I kinda like it a lot, because the third is the rich house, and asteroid mining is one of those things supposedly going to make spacefaring worth it...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Have people started making Hades Alecto crossovers yet?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm assuming she doesn't know for that reason. Not even sure if anyone knows in the nine houses, other than pacify planets, fight insurgents, etc etc

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That is *solid*.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

His "your organs are measured and claimed by the ninth" speech is so loving creepy and weird. In, you know, a good way. Really sets the tone for his character.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Hey, random question, does the Ninth House have any pubs...

... or is it all bierhalls? :dadjoke:

One of the things I love about the first book so much is Gideon's shameless bad jokes.

"So you're saying you want to...throw her a bone?"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Idaholy Roller posted:

Cant imagine anything more insulting than anything from the Locked Tomb Trilogy being compared to something from Ready Player One.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

mdemone posted:

At this stage all I really want out of Alecto is to give me some basic answers about the world-built, and I'll be super happy. It's already a cherished trilogy no matter what the third one does.

More or less me, too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

well now that's just goddamn adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

yeah I remember reading that post and thinking "that just makes me more excited to read alecto"