Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the RAM quick grip holder, which is beefy as hell from a durability standpoint and bafflingly cheap for a RAM product provided you have the mounts to mount it to

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-PD3U

Plus it’s super quick to get your phone in and out, no lever pulling or rubber strap fuckery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E:nm

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:yikes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coredump posted:

Ya sometimes my phone will be like "continue straight" when the very next turn I need to be in the right hand lane for and if I rely on audio cues only I'll miss it but if I can glance at my phone I can prepare for the shenanigans. All I'm saying is being able to see the navigation route is helpful at times.

I run my phone mount up high in my field of vision so I don’t really have to take my eyes off the road much to see it. Helps in that regard

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just dunk me in a big vat of bed liner before every ride.

Perfect fit, perfect protection.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just use an old Samsung galaxy S5 Active. Cheap as hell and waterproof. I put it on my iPhones hotspot for data

Extremely needs suiting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Combat Theory posted:

some condoms and wet wipes (the industrial ones) she did give me quite the look.

“Gimme the industrial condoms” may just be even more of a flex than buying Magnums is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve never experienced good heated grips. I’ve always preferred bar mits

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bells tend to be really well received and the complaint mostly seems to be their noise, until you get up into the race models which quiet down

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

He's trying to shed the dork image, man. If you're trying to avoid looking like a dadbiker, switching from a 'stich to jeans that look like you're wearing adult diapers isn't exactly an upgrade.

Galaxy brain: actually wear adult diapers so you can ride longer. You’re in the company of nascar drivers and astronauts. Can’t be all bad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cooler Dan. Cousin to Layer Dan

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is gauntlet as gently caress

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“Hey you know this thing that has been around for like a century and works great and has no real glaring issues?”

“Yeah”

“What if we, and hear me out here, what if we completely scrapped it and replaced it with something worse”

Overheard in both BMW and Buell corporate offices.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Built to break
Mechanical is a gently caress
Ride em all 1989
I am motorcycle repair man
810,398,365,291 broken bikes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like anyone who’s into motorcycles enough that this knowledge casually bleeds into the minds of their extended family has dealt with this type of gift many times.

I personally lean into it and wear them mostly in the garage, which, if you think about it is probably how the gift giver imagined them being worn anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“You’re saving up for a Harley right?” Is the most infuriating normie bike take

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re right, in general if an empty helmet doesn’t hit the ground hard enough to crack the shell, you’re ok.

Now if you were storing a cantaloupe in it for lunch when it fell then it’s a different story

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The all new bike gear megathread - PHRENOLOGY IS REAL

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now that zenni exists and you can get glasses for like $10 a pair, you can have a set for every conceivable activity.

I have a set just for VR. It’s great. You could have a set you keep with your helmet if you want.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skip the no name helmet and just buy the separate light kit they sell

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So......you actually look like a really rad baby?

There are worse fates

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uuuuuuum I think you mean

https://youtu.be/JZD-ADArwXo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UHHHHMMMMMM :actually: many goldwings come with an onboard compressor installed behind the fairing.

My 85 has one and it loving rules. You can adjust the suspension with it and there is a schrader valve you can hook a line up to and air up your tires. In reality all you need to carry is the air line

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jnco please make riding jeans you cowards

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, wind just blows you around and it gets tiring.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know who makes the Harley heated gloves? I’m sure they’re rebranded. I inherited a pair and they’re in great shape, I’ll probably wire up my bikes for them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supradog posted:

Can you post a picture of which model you have?
Most likely Gerbing, but looks like a reshop of sub suppliers per year and most of them sadly look pretty crap vs modern designed motorcycle protective gear vs a basic leather glove.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

when it's cold out I can simply cease to exist

As a Midwesterner I feel this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone used to make gloves with a windshield wiper rubber part along the outside of the index finger

I forget who hit it always seemed like a really dumb and really good idea simultaneously

E: https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinte...utm_name=iossmf

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 14, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

Picked up one of these for chain cleaning. I realize it seems like a solution looking for a problem but I tend to go through a ton of shop paper towels when cleaning my chain and yet still get the ground wet with wd40 / lube, so this should make less mess.

Also, multiple people recommended 3M Tegaderm for road rash and it is absolutely is worth it. That plus prescription silver sulfadiazine cream worked wonders.

I’m having a hard time picturing how that works?

Wanna know a terrible thing I used to do? I used to clean my chains with a rag, spray on chain cleaner, and the bike idling in first gear on a stand

:gonk:

Older Jim Silly-Balls knows how incredibly dumb that was

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No it’s definitely a solution for a very real problem.

I don’t know about you but I don’t bring friends on my commute

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That thing does 30mph?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As long as you know your white gear will only ever be white when you buy it and after that will always be some form of off-white beige-ish, then you’re good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

personally i never had an issue with my rf1200's transition lens. if it's sunny and i go through a long tunnel or whatever i just flip it up or just leave it closed entirely and deal. it was really nice to not have to care about what lens was currently fitted to the helmet since some days i'd be in the office til night time

What I want is someone to make a version of the eye shields on a welding helmet that switch in a fraction of a second (lighter tint obviously) and combine it with the system that cars use to know when to turn the headlights on and off.

I’d happily charge my helmet or put batteries in it for that feature.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

I've never understood why transition lenses = perv, but hey, whatever floats people's boats I guess

I’m pretty sure it’s all Jeffrey Dahmers fault. The most famous pic of him features them I believe

E: I just looked and the pic I’m thinking of doesn’t show the glasses as dark as I remember. :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The bike gear megathread: I’m pretty sure it’s all Jeffrey Dahmers fault

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Computer toucher or computer janitor :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I took my son MX gear shopping and both the kids and adult sizes are completely picked through. It’s nothing but XXXXL and XXS in both adult and kids with no eta of a restock

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Been thinking about this, does having an abnormally large (not fat, not skinny tall, just normal shape scaled to 150%) child make that poo poo easier or harder? I've got another year or two until I have to worry about it, but the big bastard is 99th percentile for height and 97th for weight, he's 18mo and wears 3-4yo clothes, I routinely get queried about why he can't talk yet because people think he's three. So it's been on my mind.

Buddy, are you me? Because you just described my son to a T, except mine is 9 years old and people wonder why that 14 year old acts like a 9 year old. But I got the same poo poo when he was a baby “oh he doesn’t walk yet?” “He doesn’t talk yet?”. Yeah, because he’s half as old as you think he is.

It’s not really easier or harder, they just wear clothes an age level above their own. There is sort of a no mans land between youth and adult sizes that some manufacturers don’t fill well. That’s where my son is and he just has to wear kinda-too-baggy adult size small clothes for now. But even those are sold out in MX gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah that. I’d not trust that helmet in a fall because the data says you’re landing on your face, and the only thing standing between your lips and 40 grit pavement is a sheet of lexan