Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

isn't there a bug out bag thread in great outdoors or something, they may like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Great Outdoors has a bug-out bag thread that seems particularly relevant for people without utility service, even if it wasn't intended for that originally:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933065

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Putin’s getting crazy. Suppose, just for preparation’s sake, that nuclear weapons are used in some very limited fashion in Europe. This would disrupt transatlantic supply chains and spark general panic in the US, a run on grocery stores, fuel, etc. What supplies from page 1 would you prioritize for that scenario, assuming no further nuclear war (in which case I’m dead anyway)? It seems like we don’t import anything absolutely critical primarily from Europe, though.

Just imagining plenty of shelf stable dried food and toilet paper, to start.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ASAPI posted:

I would imagine a general slow down to get "basic things". Make sure you have plenty of food, water, meds, pet food, etc.

I suspect that it won't impact our shopping too much, second and third order effects that no one can predict will have the greatest impact. Likely on random items we don't think about.

I agree with your general sentiment but don't see how water supply would be affected in the hypothetical I posed?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I’m not sure what type of apocalypse you all are prepping for. But if it’s so bad that you personally need to provide reference material for basic science/engineering and society, then expecting cell phones and wifi and internet or even kindles to be available in ANY capacity seems like it would be a short-lived affair.

Electronics break. Batteries die. Networks are not admin-effort free.

Get some books.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

It's fine. And in some short-lived emergency/crisis it could be more useful. But you mention it as a "supplement", and that's how it should be viewed. Not as a substitute for books in a longer-term emergency (how I viewed the discussion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from video games, it’s that in an apocalypse those libraries are either looted or occupied by hostiles. But yes, I love libraries and we use them regularly!