Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

I was going to ask what happens if you snort this but then I remembered that I did that with gas station minithins in high school and the answer is not much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Bumping this thread because the bigass fires last week gave my family some emergency prep drill. Quick trip report and some questions:

1. Just like always, the plan was more important than the equipment. We had a pre-developed evacuation plan that we had halfassedly developed that included transport plans for 2x cats and a dog, routine storage of critical records in one portable box, and a rough idea of what we'd want to pack and how to pack it. Having that turned the pre-evac packing into just a mental checklist that we executed once it was obvious that the fires were getting closer and we were out the door within 20 minutes of the official evac notice.

2. We had a couple of days with no heat and no running water, and we're still without potable water. Having a prepped supply of drinking water and food took a lot of the stress off. But the post-return, pre-service restoration period did show us a couple of things we missed. We had planned to flush toilets with snowmelt, but melting that much snow is a huge pain in the rear end. We also didn't consider how to clean cookpots with no potable water, but fortunately we had some bleach to make sanitizing solutions. This part was also where longjohns and other clothes for extreme cold came in super handy, which wasn't part of our official emergency storage but we just had around.

So basically, lessons-learned for us are that we're going to put more thinking into sanitation and add that to our prep kits. We're also going to get one of the waterbobs that came up earlier in the thread, since we could have saved ourselves some hassle if we had filled one as part of evacuation prep. We're probably also going to add a second fireproof box for high-value items and store it with the records box, but that's a lower priority because we don't really own anything that emotionally or financially significant that we want to save it. But the basic idea of having the stuff we wanted to take with us pre-stored in one place made it real easy to bring it with us, so we'll probably extend that a little. I'm also on the fence about whether to pre-pack a go-bag: prep from 0 to ready to evacuate was probably 30-45 minutes for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 3 pets, which was more than we needed in this case but could be cut down if we invested in pre-packed clothes and chargers and poo poo. I'm not sure it's worth it for the time savings.

Question for the thread: I use a Grayl filter when I travel because it's the easy to use and rated for heavy metals/viruses/chemicals as well as standard bacteria. I want to get some extra filters and put them on the shelf for prepping, but does anybody else have any experience with them? They claim to do so much more than any other filter I've seen on the market that they make me vaguely uncomfortable - it feels like they have to be over-claiming given that they're not completely dominating the market. But I've used them for years and never had issues, and the reviews about them are mostly by backpackers who only care about bacteria and microbe filtration so it just may be that they're perfectly fine and it's just that most water filter users just don't need full-spectrum filtration like you probably want in a disaster scenario. Fires deposit a lot of nasty poo poo in waterways and a basic bacteria filter wouldn't cut it.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

serious question: if you're without power and the weather is too junk to play outside in, how do you keep kids from getting bored?

Depends on the kid I guess, but for us it was a lot of drawing, a lot of board games, and a lot of reading to them.