Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
The stairs in the threads are getting a bit drafty... can we insulate those?

E:vv Obligatory grover jokes aside, very much that, pasting images is a pain having to go through separate hosting, and really restricts what I post. Native upload and hosting would be absolutely tremendous!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I’ll admit I’m part of the silo problem. I generally browse bookmarks and rarely venture into new communities. Occasionally I’ll find a linked thread that gets bookmarked or see something of interest on the rare excursion into the broader community. Joke titles are great, but that does lend itself to the general obfuscation.

I generally browse from the awful app on iOS.

Maybe we could add some sort of recommended thread algorithm? Eg if you read the tools thread in DIY, your might enjoy the tools thread in AI. I don’t know what all threads are out there, and browsing on the different subforums isn’t a regular behavior pattern. Anything we could do to promote tangentially related threads would be a huge win imo.

Maybe we could add meaningful tags to threads to start (especially megathreads), and use those to suggest related tags or let users browse tags? Create a new subforum of recommended threads, and populate it differently per user based on the time spent in each thread, calculated by the tags. Eg I spent 20 minutes in the memes thread, and 10 in the tools thread, populate the recommended subforum with any threads that contain the memes or tools tags, ranked by ratio of tags. Could intersperse recommendations with popular threads as well. I’d definitely use a related interests feature to find new content and threads