Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

corgski and I have talked about a few ways to encourage more cross-pollination:

1) Reboot Megathreads- Several other mods have tried this in their subs and said they've seen more engagement and a bit of a breaking down of the silos afterwards. The old thread gets moved to the Goodmine so it is still accessible to folks without archives, and I think the new thread search box will make finding info in them much easier. There's tons of great knowledge and content in those we don't want to lose, but it would also help to get some more updated OPs.

I don't really understand the benefit of this one. I guess if other forums have done it and seen good results, that's good evidence for it. But it seems like it'd just move a bunch of good content into some obscure place for no benefit. Would we really get more posters because the thread ID changed?

Updating OPs is kind of a separate question. I imagine you could recruit someone to do it and then edit it into the first post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

2) Sticky Project threads for visibility- We are planning on rebooting and stickying the 'Fix it Fast' with links to the (unstuck) plumbing/HVAC/wiring threads so we won't have that wall of stickies up front, and we could use some of that space to sticky an interesting thread or two a week on a rotating basis to get a little more visibility to smaller project threads.

Maybe it's just me, but I basically ignore all stickied threads. I'm not a bookmarks browser, because I want to see new threads, so I read the thread list a ton. The stickied threads change so rarely that I know I can just skip over that section to see what's new in the forum. So if you start stickying threads, it's actually less likely that I'll see them. I dunno, maybe others are different, I guess it's worth a shot. (I think the bookmarks feature was a huge mistake, but that ship has sailed.)

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

3) Contests-Probably won't happen until the New Year/after Secret Santa, but the idea would be something like Iron Chef Something Awful in GWS or Thunderdome in CC. There's a broad theme or prompt, everyone makes their own little follow-along project thread for their electronic, knitted, 3D-printed mahogany lego purse or w/e, vote on it at the end with some prizes. The real prize of course is every in DIY&H learning how to make electronic, knitted, 3D-printed mahogany lego purses. Maybe we'll get some banner ads or something and try and get folks from the forums at large. I am always amazed at the wealth of goon talent there is in so many areas.

This is a cool idea. It's nit-picking but I wonder if it should all just go into one thread. Unlike ICSA, each poster would likely work over days or weeks on the project, so there'd be far less to fill one thread per user. I guess we could try both and see what works better.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

4) Be the change you want to see!- This is probably the biggest one and the one that really has to come from the users. Make a project thread! Maybe you were just gonna post a picture of your finished project, but what if you show us all how you do it and what challenges you face? Go post in those other megathreads! Say 'hey I'm from the awesome scale modelling thread you didn't know existed how do I 3d print parts for my tank?' I think most posters in this forums are pretty friendly and chill and want to be helpful (and if they're not let us know :toughguy:)

When I do long-term projects, I post progress pictures in the woodworking thread. Tends to be like once a month, showing whatever the latest big milestone I've accomplished. I could instead make a new thread just about the project I'm working on, and post more frequent but less meaningful updates, but it feels weird since it clearly "belongs" in the woodworking thread. You did similar with your chairmaking thread; what do you think about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rest in peace, .

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Helping Cryptids Homedecorate

Heavy Chains and Hotglue

Hobbies, Crypts & Hell

Forum background: that portable homemade firepit with tiny skulls