Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I replaced my old doorbell chime with a new one. The chime is just a mechanical 16v chime with plungers. Two chimes for front door, one chime for back. I have it wired up for front door but I only get one chime when I push the button. When pushing the button I only observe one plunger moving. When I wire it up for back door the plunger that was not moving gives me a little half movement but doesn't actually strike the chime. The door bell button itself is pretty old but seems to work. What's going on? Defective chime?

Each plunger is for either the front or back respectively. I'm not an electrician, but when current from your transformer travels to the front terminal/magnet in the chime, it's going to attract the thing one way to "ding" and then the spring should send it back the other way to "dong" after it's done. I think the back chime is just a less powerful magnet?

I think that if you don't have a "dong", then I think it's something out of whack with the amount of current. I would check current and voltage in the chime box on a multimeter and see what's up with your transformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I asked in the wiring thread a bit ago because I was getting ~14v when using a multimeter at the door bell (I was checking to make sure it wasn't a 12v transformer prior to buying a new chime) and they said it was probably fine. Maybe not fine after all?

Yeah, that should be okay voltage-wise. But I think the issue is that there isn't enough current to cause the plunger to go down far enough.

Is your transformer accessible near the door or by the breaker box, or is it buried in a wall somewhere so you can check it directly?

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Inzombiac posted:

How easy is it to redo the boards on a deck?
I have a 20x15 deck with really lovely, rotting wood. However the joists underneath are quite healthy.

Since the area is covered, I'm not worried about weathering all that much but we have high winds that do mess up the place a few times a year.

Replacing boards is relatively easy if you have a circular saw and a good framing hammer. I did over several days with help, but not working all day.

The biggest time sink was sourcing good deck boards and any cuts necessary for railings or shape of the deck.

I needed to shim a joist in a couple of places, which came in handy since we used the extra shims as deck board spacing tools rather than using nails as spacers.