Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PainterofCrap posted:

Fish tape is your friend.

Fish tape is also your friend.

Fish tape talk: I got a set of the Milwaukee fish sticks and they are way better than my lovely Klein fish tape. I recommend the ultra flexible rods for most jobs. They saved me from making so many extra holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a quick questions about fluorescent bar lights: Would a bad starter cause bulbs to burn out almost instantly on one end? I just put a new bar light in my vintage stove after the prior bulb burned out quite a while ago. I figured it was an ancient bulb so reasonable that if died. The new bulb flashed and then went out right after I switched it on. After testing the new bulb with a multimeter, one end of the new bulb gives 0 resistance, so it's definitely dead. The starter the stove uses is an FS-25 starter, and I've already ordered a new one, but want to make sure that's a reasonable cause to the bulb blowing out instantly.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Beef Of Ages posted:

Is there a particular reason you're not retrofitting with a bar LED? I've retrofitted several fluorescent troffers with LED bulbs where you bypass the ballast and any starter so it's much more simple from a wiring standpoint. This would also wholesale solve your problem by not using any of the stuff that may be giving you issues.

The main reason is I'd have to disassemble the entire top of the stove again to rewire it and I want to put it off as long as possible. I should have done it when I was restoring the thing but I didn't. I also haven't found a 30" LED tube light that doesn't require a ballast, but if you can find one, I might prioritize the conversion.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 24, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
To follow up on my previous florescent bulb and starter question. I ended up deep diving into how florescent bulbs work and long story short I've got a new and modern electronic ballast I'm going to install on my stove. I tested it with a 24" linear bulb I had on hand and it works great!

(There is a starter pictured there but that's from a previous test with the old ballast)

e: Because it may come up again, I'm not bypassing the ballast for an LED bulb because as far as I have found, nobody makes a 30" T8 LED bypass bulb. The one 30" LED bulb I've found (and ordered) still requires a ballast.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-104421-Cartridge-Puller-Cartridges/dp/B00083EC6C

If your cartirdge is not one of the ones listed for that tool just search for "moden cartidge extractor <model>" and you should find the right tool or kit. A local plumbing supply should have one, and if you have a very good hardware store they might too.

I think OP is past the point where this tool would help, but it would definitely help anyone else with these cursed cartridges. Buy now and avoid this mess when the time comes!