Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Motronic posted:

You're going absolutely nuts bombing every subforum with your new house problems. Most of these won't be visible to you 6 months from now. You need to do a better job triaging what matters and what doesn't. For your own sanity.

This is good advice that should not be ignored. Motronic was even nice about it.

You might also consider starting your own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

And destroying the walls they're attached to. It's a shame, they're nice looking and probably well constructed. Which is why you got a bazillion replies.

Yes - it's common especially in a 50s vintage house to have built-ins. Which I'm presuming yours is a 50s house since that knotty pine was all the rage then.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 20, 2020

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I can't speak to price as it's variable upon location. Most hot water tanks are rated to last 10-15 years, but again location makes a difference. With hard water expect 8-12 years. If you're having issues at 6 years you probably have really hard water, and should be flushing your tank at least once a quarter if not more. And probably should consider a water softening system.

In theory you could drain the tank and run vinegar or CLR through and let it soak. It's messy and time consuming, and results aren't guaranteed. And you want to flush well afterwards. All of the above is true only if the issue is mineral build-up. I can see where for most plumbers replacement would be the best resolution - fewer callbacks and unhappy customers.

Since you're likely going to need a new tank, I'd get a second or third estimate, if you can hold out.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 25, 2020

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a fancy new 3-rack Whirlpool DW and its filter is just like the Bosch. You reach in, turn it a quarter turn and the filter and surrounding tray comes right out.