Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
After multiple dis/re-assemblies from movers, our West Elm bed is getting a little too shaky due to missing or stripped hardware. I managed to find a copy of the assembly instructions, and was planning to just buy a set of replacement hardware, but I am having a hell of a time finding the proper bolts that I need:

The best term I've tried is "furniture bolts" which are usually the combination of 1) washer-shaped head with 2) allen key hole and 3) brass finish, but have had no joy finding imperial ones, especially at those lengths. I've even tried McMaster-Carr, but I'm probably not searching/navigating their site correctly. Could anyone point me to the proper place, or better search terms to use?

Ugh, this is even assuming that the thread pitch is standardized, since most of these will screw into thread inserts in the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's not clear to me exactly what the hardware is you're looking for, but you might find the term "bed bolt" to be helpful. They're long bolts that are designed to screw into captive nuts.

It's just the bolts that hold the various parts together, e.g.

The movers gave, at most, a single flying gently caress when reassembling with their impact drivers; many are in various states of stripped/cross-threaded/missing/reversed, so I wanted to just start fresh with a new set and keep the old ones as spares. Some screw into thread inserts in the wooden frame, some screw into the ... other thing, whose name also escapes me (binding post?), pictured below:

I guess what tripped me up is that they have the very specific flat head that I see all the time in furniture hardware, but rarely elsewhere. Powershift was very close in that "button head" has the sort of pan/truss shape I figure is supposed to be kind to the frame and the mattress; countersunk shapes probably won't work. My Google searches for "imperial bolts for furniture with like a pan head but hex" weren't yielding much so I figured there is/was a very specific term.

In any case, I'm going by Lowes today to get an angle grinder for mower blade sharpening, so I'll bring that bolt along and see if something matches, as well as giving the local (good) hardware stores a shot, as Motronic suggested.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
I have a slightly wobbly post on the vinyl picket fence in my front yard. It's only around four feet high, but it is the hinge post for the gate, so it gets a little more stress than the others.

I'd say there's roughly a 1 mm gap around the 4x4 right now. It seems like someone tried concrete caulk/sealant in the past, but obviously that didn't last. What would people say is the correct way to reinforce it? Caulk? Concrete? Mortar? Shims?