Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pick 2

You can fix it fast, cheap or good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Boob light base?

Ceiling fan medallion. To commemorate the time you said fuckit I'm not going to deal with this poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have a bigass ugly one in my bedroom because they sucked at running the wire and just went whelp..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If it isn't spinning or the pump isn't pumping the water out it's very likely the control board. I'm not familiar with your exact machine but usually it's just a motor, belt and pulley there's no transmission.

If it's failing to drain and the pump looks okay then most likely it is the control panel/ board.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yippee cahier posted:

How deep is that drywall screw? Wait for the plumber before answering...

My sentimonies exactly!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nwin posted:

Any ideas?

There really isn't much more

The main way to reduce water ingress is to get the water away from the house.

Step 1 proper grading away from the house.
In your case. Step 2. Get that sump pump from dumping water close to the house.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nwin posted:

Yeah here’s a horrible drawing I made looking at it from the side.

So it seems the two options are to grade everything towards the house where the sump pump inlet is located on the right. Or to install a new sump pump under the patio and grade the dirt away from the house.

You'd want to grade everything away from the house and not put a sump pump anywhere outside. You should not have that section of diet that dips down by your foundation..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes make sure there is no power to the tree before touching anything.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can buy a lot of different color temps so find an led with the one she likes?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hed posted:

For times when I know I’m going to be working with it, I just throw cardboard boxes from the recycling under the pan and plug.

yep I have cardboard for under the car.. and use it under my genny when running the leaky magnetic oil plug

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Also look at the flame sensor (but again that doesn't make a ton of sense.

A pilot sensor senses that the pilot light is lit and heating the thermocouple and if not it kills the gas supply.

You may also have a flame sensor thermocouple style sensor that will identify I'd the furnace is lit once it sends full gas to the burners so it's not just dumping gas into your house.

It seems weird that it's not erroring and all you need to do is switch the thermostat off and kn and especially if you aren't doing something like powering the furnace on / off with it's mains switch. It may be in some kind of lockout mode and is ignoring the constant call for heat

Edit: a test is once it fails to fire turn the thermostat down and back up to see if what it does and how it reacts. Does it spin up and try to fire and kick off after 10 seconds or so. Does it run for a bit the stop. Does it still just do nothing until you turn off the thermostat. This will help diagnose. It might be intermittent so stopping the heat call then starting it again works. (Look up to see how to see the error codes on your furnace and see if you're looking in the right place) (if yours has an error light)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 12, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow seventy three... Like got damned summer....

Yeah if you pull out your old thermostat and swap them you'll find that there's a difference in temp and feeling. Get a third thermometer and you'll see they all probably report differently.

My thermostat is about 2° off from a thermometer I have.

I just set it to what feels good and go from there.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 17, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

My Honeywell Lyric thermostat has this "circulate" mode which is perfect for this. If the system hasn't called for heat or cooling for too long, it runs the fan for a bit.

Makes a big difference because yeah, when there's not a lot of heat pumping needed, the air can get a bit stale even with ceiling fans in most of the house.

The rest of the thermostat is poo poo, as well as the app. So see if something else has that feature.

I have a Honeywell T9 that does this. The app and thermostat are okay but have issues.

Sometimes it doesn't think I'm home.

I have it set to keep the bedroom at x temp at night instead of the main living area. But when it 'preheats' to get to the specific temp by 6am... It doesn't switch to the main living area sensor so it gets mighty hot since my bedroom has old leaky windows and is the furthest run from the furnace.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not a window expert but you can just leave the metal bracket out of that bit and close it. It won't really stay up when you open it but it's winter and it won't matter.

I hate dealing with those things especially if one shoots out /up when you pull the whole window out. I had a few in my house where the window wasn't in that bit and it was highly annoying. It takes me 20 mins of fighting to get it back properly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Do people really have dishwashers that run for 2.5 hrs?
Mine it like a 10ish + year old frigidaire and its done in about 45-60 minutes. I'm not looking at the dishes through a microscope, but with an exception or two for a dish thats got some poo poo really crusted on there, everything appears to come out visibly clean.

My low tier bosch is 2 hrs to run from start to finish. I feel like the last 30-45 is dry time. Also it's really not an issue. I usually run mine at night or in the morning after work from home breakfast. Really doesn't bother me at all.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

1. Unsure, how far is the next closest stud?

2. Those are 'furring strips' and are 100% there to attach ceiling tile too no need to ask an engineer.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Any quick tips on identifying what piece of my furnace makes a super loud bang noise as it heats up and cools down and ways to reduce the sound? Our new dog is pretty sensitive and it freaks him out every time it happens.

Can you record this bang so we can identify it could be lots of things. Maybe your fan isn't secured and when it spins up it's banging Sheetmetal and then centers when it gets up to speed? Motor may be off the mounts so it's clunking around when starting up. Maybe a squirrel is hanging out in there and running away when the heat turns on and hitting his head somewhere in your vents. Id' check fan/ motor / pulleys first as those are the larger moving mechanical parts in a furnace, and I'd not expect relays or the gas actuator to cause enough of a noise to scare the dog.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Oh I strongly suspect based on the timing that it is an expansion/contraction shape change of something due to temp, like when my lovely cookie sheet pops in the oven. But I'll try and get a recording

if it's "tin canning" or "Oil canning" then calling an Hvac guy to properly craft your ducts so they don't do that.. or reinforce where it's coming from.

https://www.moneypit.com/fix-banging-furnace-ducts/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

My doorbell doesn't work. The previous owner was using one of those wireless transmitter ones stuck over the original. I checked the wires for power with a multimeter where the switch used to be and at the transformer and both spots are dead. I could try finding where the power cable that should be tied into the transformer ends and why its not working anymore but I don't really want to use the old doorbell at all really. I bought one of those smart video doorbells and if my wiring had worked would have provided power as an alternative to the built in battery that would need topping off now and then. The benefit of having it wired is the doorbell can be in a more active recording mode.

My question is, could I unhook the wires that connect the old switch to the transformer, splice on a usb connection to the end, and then connect that to a power bank hidden in the casing for the doorbell on the wall? That way I can pull out the power bank when its low from the comfort of inside the house, and the doorbell can top itself off as needed. I guess what I'm asking is if the wire thats already run through the house is suited for that sort of 'upgrade'.

can you take a pic of the transformer and the wires running to/from it?

I wouldn't really recommend splicing in a USB connection on both sides and runnign it it off of the powerbank, you'll end up with some voltage drop, and likely will drian the USB powercell somewhat quickly as it'll just keep tryign to "top off" the doorbell on a regular basis.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tenik posted:

Cross posting this from the Electronics thread:

Hey, I recently ran into a problem with my fancy headphones, and I was wondering if you guys can help me out with fixing it. When the headphones are plugged in using an inline 3.5mm audio cable, the speaker in the left ear cup only plays a flat monotone sound. However, when the headphones are connected via bluetooth instead of an aux cable, the speaker operates just fine. Using different cables and different audio jacks across multiple devices causes the same problem. I think the issue might be a short somewhere around the female 3.5mm audio connector, but I'm not entirely sure if I have properly diagnosed the problem, or how to fix it.

Based on all of your experiences, does this sound like a short? If so, what would be the best way to fix it?

sounds like your input jack on your headphones is broken, it's either not making contact to each "side" or it's broken and jumping across the 2 separations on the post.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I just phoned Napoleon- apparently no lid is necessary

do you have the ash tray? I'm assuming you do.. if not you'd want a lid.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

there should be a shutoff for your faucet kind of close inside. I'd recommend using that, and keeping your faucet closed (or open if your shutoff isn't letting water drip). You're faucet is probably dripping a little bit especially if the packing nut has now shrunk due to the cold. If your packing nut is shot then you'll need to replace it. I live in the northeast and part of the winterizing routine is shut the water off inside the house, open the faucet and just let the pipe drain out and then close it up (or leave it open if your indoor shutoff is working 100%)

edit: I know people who have used these covers but in my 38 years in the frozen winter tundra never used it and haven't ever had a problem even when we had a February that never saw double digit temps. The only time I've ever seen an issue was when we forgot to do the shutoff and drain for a faucet that ran under our deck, the ice made quick work of the PVC pipe.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 16, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Yeah, I was going to ask about a shutoff inside, but wasn't sure if those shutoffs are as accessible somewhere that freezing temps are national news. Inside shutoff has gotten us through many winters with no issues, including the last 10 days where we barely got above 0F.

ideally there should be some kind of indoor shutoff somewhere so you can replace the fixture but see also "previous owner" and or "lovely builders cutting corners"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I guess it's location specific but in every home I"ve owned (all in Northeast) there's a shutoff for fixtures that aren't the fixtures themselves.. Like my current home my upstairs bathroom has the normal shutoffs but even stuff like washer / kitchen sink etc all have a shutoff in the basement somewhere. I'm pretty sure my 2nd floor bathroom also has shutoffs in the basement as well. the only house I never had that on was a lovely 1900s farm house with a crawlspace under the addition that was the only place with plumbing wherein the main shutoff was pretty much it for the whole house but that house was not very good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

porkface posted:

Nothing in the circuit breaker box. Here's everything I can see:

Furnace is LNG

So I guess my questions are:
1. How would I size/shop for a generator for this?
2. How would I operate this safely? Do I need to monitor the furnace?
3. If it's safe to just hook up a generator and see how it goes, when can I start plugging in other essentials like the TV and Xbox?

this is terrible and unsafe. looks like the one switch disconnects the furnace from the main power and the other one takes an energized double ended plug (bad idea) and when you flip the switch on it feeds power from the plug to the furnace wires, and you better have that other switch off your you're backfeeding your panel and going to melt that switch
I have seen in the northeast furnaces wired up this way. Main power to 1 outlet plug. Furnace wired to a plug that plugs into that outlet. this way in the event of a power loss you can now pug your furnace into a properly rated extension cord.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I just went to take a shower, was clearing out the cold water in the pipes, when I heard a "thunk" sound and stopped getting hot water to my shower. The sink still gets hot water, the shower still gets cold water, but when I transition the shower from cold to hot water, the flow rate slows to a trickle.

The upstairs bathroom sink also has hot water...upstairs shower seems to be totally nonfunctional (can't get any water at all), but it hasn't been used in years (it's a really cramped and crappy shower stall) so that might be unrelated.

I really don't want to be without a shower. I'm guessing what I heard was a breakdown in a mixing valve or something? How hard is this likely to be to fix?

EDIT: for that matter, I can't even see how to get the front off.

There's no openings in the perimeter of this that I can see. Do I have to slip a spatula in there and just pry it off?

handle should unscrew somehow. Maybe unscrew the actual handle part by twisting, and find a set-screw for the rest behind it?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 19, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

there is 100% a way to get it off without dremeling the whole thing off.. there's a set screw in there somewhere to release the cover around it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Requesting a moment of humoring a dumb question while I fight with my landlord to get poo poo fixed here. My heat in my apartment is not great, nor is it helped by imperfect insulation. All that said, I've tracked down another problem - a poorly mounted vent that's leaking a lot of the hot air my "furnace" (Apollo HydroHeat, it's basically a hot water radiator inside a forced air unit) generates into the mechanical closet instead of sending it up the vent. Which is probably why my "hot air vents" are putting out 72 F air to try and maintain 70 F, and why it's constantly running. From looking it over, it looks like one side isn't all the way down, and the air that leaks is coming from that corner and shooting straight out.

The corner that's leaking is directly behind the "cold return" pipe.
  • Could I safely clean it off and apply that metallic duct tape to keep the air in as an interim measure, until I can get facility maintenance out to actually give a poo poo about checking their hardware? It wouldn't be a perfect seal but less leak is less leak; I just don't want a fire hazard or something.
  • There are no visible brackets, screws, anything on this duct. Is there any way to get it better fitted? I only have hand tools and my dominant hand is currently limited on twisting/flexing due to an injury, so I'm working with really limited means here.
  • Is there anything else I should keep an eye on with this unit? First time I've had one of these weird hybrid units and it's... less than effective.

Most of an overall view, minus the floor.
not an HVAC guy but What's your Climate? I'm not sure what the expected temperature differential is on this unit but you need to remember you're taking water that is ~140-180 degrees (depending on how it's set) and blowing 70degree air over it. A typical Forced air natural gas furnace is going to takes air and run it through the heat exchanger that runs at ~350-450F the air coming out of it it somewhere in the 150F range by the time it reaches your desired zone it's probably got a 20°F temp differential. Your issue is your heat exchanger is nowhere near that kind of temperature. It's probably way colder than you're use to, and you're using hot water and an air handler to try and heat your house/apartment (not a boiler heater). which is just not a very great way to do it.

The little bit of air leaking around the Air handler and your ducts is not going to make that much difference.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 22, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can try and replace the seal if you can find a replacement, also it's 37 years old even a good nice quality one is going to die at some point. You can also attempt to clean the coils if they have accumulated an assload of hair / dust etc they'll be less efficient (if you can get to them)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lawnie posted:

For sure will be using wall plates.

The description for the gang box says that it adjusts to fit wall plates flush with the mounting surface - this is the back surface of the plate, correct? Is there a way I can recess the speaker connection plate so I can hang the speaker on the wall directly in front of it and just use a little junction of speaker wire to connect the two? Maybe that’s how this configuration installs anyway and I’m just not picturing it correctly.

I browsed around on monoprice and saw they have quite a lot of options for low voltage wall plates. I’m planning on going to a big box hardware store this weekend, so I’ll look at what they have in-person and see if I can wrap my head around the configurations.

E: can I just plug a banana plug right into these connectors? That seems much simpler than I was imagining.

E2 to answer my own question: I need a pin connector to stick into the speakers. I think i can just buy these and attach them to the wall plate, then plug directly into the speaker.

these speakers wont use a banna plug way to small. you can just directly put the wire in the spring clip or use the pin connector.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

To add. Ask for a stack of their cards so you can provide others their details. And leave reviews.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stinkypete posted:

I am looking into buying a small air compressor for filling up tires and running an angle grinder. I keep seeing the gallon size of the tank and how many PSI it can provide. If I bought a small compressor and started buying electric tools instead of pneumatic would I be making a smart buy?

I wonder if the electric / battery tools are better?

You need to be comitted to a decent size tank if you wanna run air tools like a grinder or a metal nibbler, or impact wrench.

You can get some good torque and use out of compressed air tools but you're going to need around a 20 gallon compressor rated at around 4cfm at ~80 psi to get any use out of it. 50 is probably a bit more realistic depending on how often you want it to run.

Or as stealie said go electric, you can get some good lectric and battery powered impact wrenches and grinders etc without going air. Grab a pancake for running your trim nailer occasionally and to fill tires.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stinkypete posted:

Thank you, that helps me with my decision.

Edit:
I did some painting and the Graco Magnum x5 was a pretty good airless sprayer. I just do not like masking and taping. Any masking and taping tips?

Ohhhhb you wanna paint well that might change things but I'll let someone else advise on that as I'm not really going to be able to speak on air vs airless devices.

No 2 days about it youte gunna need to mask up your area and your body. No matter what you've got an aerosol of paint in the air.

Get the green tape (gator I think) I've always had better luck with it. Use manageable pieces, don't so a whole wall in a run. I usually do 75% of my wingspan max if it's a good flat and square area.

Honestly get some good cut in brushes and then just roll it unless you're doing something outside or oddly shaped like siding or something.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Two questions. First, I have a small set of stairs going out my back door and into my yard - 3 stairs and maybe a 3x3 landing. Last year, during summer I applied some self adhesive no slip tape to try and help with icing. It worked OK for a while, but when clearing off snow one morning, the whole strip came off two steps like it was nothing. I followed the instructions, made sure the wood was clean and dry, not too hot or cold out when putting the tape on, and it is outdoor rated, maybe the adhesive is just weak? I was thinking of instead taking some resin and mixing in some pea gravel or something with a bit of grip and applying a layer to the steps. Good idea? Bad idea? I know it would be a bit more permanent, but I'll probably be replacing the boards in a few years anyway.

Second, even though I've lived in this house for about 6 years now, it really only occurred to me the other day that I have some carpeting in my bathroom. There is about a 4 inch strip just on the other side of the doorway, inside the bathroom where the carpet from the hall comes in. Thinking on it, my guess is that the bathroom was redone and tiled before the carpet was completed, and the PO ran out of tiles, so they just continued the carpet into the bathroom. It's not a major concern, other than having carpet and padding in a bathroom just always feels gross. The carpet is far enough away that in any day to day scenario, I'm not too worried about drips or spills or anything like that, but if the toilet starts leaking it might be a problem. Presumably there is hard wood under the carpet, as there was when I pulled up carpet in other areas. Does it make sense to back burner this until we decide to replace the carpet in the hall area? I almost feel like it's not worth the effort to pull up this little strip, put down tile and add some kind of transition, but I also feel like I'd rather have a pro do it right if I'm going to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BPL2G8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i'm using this on my stairs and it seems to work pretty well, it lasted the whole winter on my shittily painted stairs (lookiung at you PO) even with shoveling. I applied when it wasn't very warm out and I just kind of wiped the stairs with a broom quick before applying. I basically wanted to show I provided :effort: in case amazon fell on my stairs.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 12, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah I removed everything covering the top but then realized it's so solid I'd have to keep digging down. For now since the drainage is good I'm going to just add a silicon cover to catch hair and prevent buildup.

I like the house we got but goddamn, a recurring theme is "looks nice and is impossible to maintain".

"homeownership thread: a recurring theme is "Looks nice and is impossible to maintain"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

Is there any material I could build some raised garden beds out of that wouldn't be bitten by the "everything is sold out/marked-up" pandemic supply issues?

I was planning on just buying some lumber and making boxes this spring but I feel kinda bad about contributing to the problem when people need lumber for more serious projects. I briefly considered hay bales but it looks like I should've started that a month ago if I am looking to get things planted in the next month or so.

Cedar: which isn't super useful in home construction
No clue how well these will hold up for long term as we just assembled ours and are waiting for dirt.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Greenes-Fence-4-ft-x-8-ft-x-7-10-5-in-Original-Cedar-Raised-Garden-Bed-RC-4C8T2/202520864

they have severalsifferent sizes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Specs say 96 inches so I'd take it back and be like WTF.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GD_American posted:

Try to keep the Lowe's and Home Depot ones separate. You'll fail anyway, but try

One bucket from each company...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Don't spray wd-40 etc, make sure it's a dry lube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone want to help me diagnose my riding mower engine that won't start? It's a Kohler 7000-series in a cub cadet.

The symptom: pressing the key, the lights and dash display come on, and a second later, I hear a faint click, but nothing else. Start motor doesn't even try to move.

I've made sure I'm activating the safety interlock on the seat and the brake. The dash displays errors for those if I'm not.

The lights come on, so I know I'm getting juice to the system in general. I put the battery on a charger, it said it was good to go, and I left it for a day on there anyhow. Didn't help anything. I also tried starting it with the charger in starter assist mode, which is like 60A, and got the same response.

Based on some googling, I decided it was the starter solenoid, the one just off the battery that provides power to the starter itself. My voltmeter, from the post on the starter itself to a random bare screw on the chassis, said 0V when I had my wife sit on the seat and attempt to start it, so that tracked. No juice to the starter, it's not gonna do anything. That's a $30 part, so I gave it a shot. Swapped that out, pretty easy, tried again and...nothing, same response.

On a whim, I grabbed a jumper cable and put that on the positive battery terminal and then touched it to the post on the starter motor. It went for it! Couldn't actually turn the motor over, but it sure tried, and I suspect it just had a poo poo connection and maybe some other electronics weren't engaged. But the point is, that starter motor is alive and kicking.

So if the starter motor is alive, and the battery is good, and there's a brand new starter solenoid in there, what the hell else could it be? Software?!

what does your multimeter do if you set it to DC and bridge + and - on battery?
your battery is most likely dead / your connections are bad.. so get a wire brush and clean the contacts on the battery and on the terminals,
Check for the grounds to ensure it's in place and working properly.
"starter assist mode" of 60a might not be anywhere near enough since it seems like the 25HP motor needs 300CCA

Clicking generally means it's about to start but doesn't have the juice. shorting out the starter and it not actually being able to do that makes me think the battery isn't that great.

If this was me I'd 100% try and get a replacement battery / get my battery tested prior to dealing with starters etc. Especially considering you did a manual attempt to start by jumping battery directly to starter.

edit: I'm not sure about fancy rear end mowers with big motors but maybe there's a low voltage cutoff that keeps you from burning up your starter with low voltage.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 12, 2021