Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I bought a 1930's house last summer, yay me. the windows are original (wood) and pretty lovely condition. It's rainy season now I have one dormer window that seems to be leaking into the attic / crawlspece below it. At least I think it's the window. Water is collecting on the sill when it rains and is likely draining through the many many cracks both vertical and horizontal on this window. I have a replacement quote scheduled but is there anything I can do in the meantime to keep water out of the sill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m in the leaky roof boat too y’all. Attic drips near the dormer. Have a few quotes for a re roof already, ranging from 20000 to 40000. And the lead times are all 18 months out. Fortunately I have a roofer who said they can get us dry in the interim if we sign on with them

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

for mine at least, there isn't storm damage, its just old and lovely. I did ask and they laughed at me and said not to make a claim or id lose my no claims discount

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Found water bubbling under the paint under a window after todays rain help me
https://imgur.com/a/o0EqPcM

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

we have a possum in our yard. He’s extremely fat

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

the water level in my toilet refills normally after a flush, but then slowly drains to a very low level over an hour or so. what should I look at first? thanks

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh, the water level in the reservoir, rather than the toilet?

no, in the bowl. it fills up to a normal level and then slowly disappears

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yea there’s some other weird stuff. It is happening very slowly this afternoon
Other stuff
- one of the sinks is very slow to drain inexplicably
- shower randomly splashes a bit of water the next day
- dripping sounds in toilet after finishing flush cycle
- drain flies in the very old tub that I vanquished with boiling water and a drain cap

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

More animal chat, I have a neighbors cat who likes to sneak into my yard and lay in the sun. I would be semi ok with this but I noticed him going after the birds on their birdbath and now we are doing battle. I shoo him away but he just waits for me to go inside and comes right back lol

I am going to try to plug any holes in the fence that I can find but is there anything else I can do to discourage him from sneaking in and eating birds in my yard?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well I didn’t want it to come to this but I do think my local ace sells crossbows just kidding. But they do

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Think we’re just gonna get a terrier

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

For less than a round of rabies shots, you can get one of the motion activated mammal deterrent sprayers. Cats are clever, and it may turn into an arms race of alternating placement to get the message across to the cat.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bird-X-Hydro-Critter-Blaster-Animal-Sprinkler-Repeller-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated-Solar-Powered-HCB-S/308642137

I've never used them but the photo in the ad makes me :lol:

This inspired me so I waited for him and got him with the hose lol. And yeah I observed that his way in is over the fence. So

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yea he’s stray adjacent if not outright. The house I see him at could be abandoned. Not sure how to catch a cat lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

We have a skunk and a possum too the possum is very fat and the skunk is a western skunk he’s got a super fluffy tail lol. I don’t know where they sleep but my yard is a frickin jungle. Neither of them bother the birds and the skunk dug up and ate a whole hornet nest by himself so I’m not that mad at him even if he stinks up the yard a bit

Here’s my most recent pic of the yard. Very different from my studio in koreatown lol

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 19, 2024

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I thought they were brought to california as pets and escaped

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I attended a wood window repair workshop last weekend and they had a box made out of insulated sheathing that we would slot the full sashes into, then run a clothing steamer into a hole on the side for like 20 minutes. then we pulled the sashes and the paint would come off like 8 layers at a time. the other method was trying not to light them on fire with a heat gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

fire extinguisher?