Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Simple question: what’s the least damaging way to remove a stripped screw (head broke off) from metal? It’s part of a chair that’s otherwise in good shape, so I’d rather not mess up the frame too badly.

Don’t have a lot of kit at home, so far I’ve doused it in lock lubricant and tried to remove it with needle-nose players, but after half a turn it binds and I start chewing up what’s left of the screw.

E: contemplating getting a drill bit for metal and just boring it out. If I go that route, I’m guessing I should get a bit that’s one or two sizes smaller than the screw? It’s about 5mm in diameter.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can try using a screw extractor bit. The way that works is that you drill a hole in the screw, then stick the extractor bit in the hole. It's counter-threaded, so when you turn the bit counterclockwise, it grips the sides of the hole and causes the screw to turn.

Update: the screw squished out halfway through drilling a hole in it. Also, upon closer observation these chairs are some cheap crap. Now I have extractor bits in case it happens again though, so thanks!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Renovating a smoker's apartment from the 70's. Almost done throwing out everythinig that can be physically removed, bar the walls (stripped of wallpaper that was painted over), and hardwood floors. Ceilings are going to be scrubbed 2-3 times, I think the best combo we've found so far is a first round of kitchen degreaser followed by mixing a bit of ammonia and a lot of floor soap in water for the 2nd and 3rd washes.

Anything else I can or should do to get rid of the tobacco stench? Follow-up question - is the above cleaning regimen sufficient for preventing tar bleeding through primer + 2 coats of paint?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 7, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Much appreciated!

Yeah, we’re going to specify that the primer is for a smoker’s apartment when we go to the paint store.

I’ll see if our budget can stretch to buying an ozone purifier, or renting one, if that’s a possibility.

What is TSP?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Interesting. From a brief glance, it might not be available over the counter in my EU country, bar from homebrewing suppliers. I'll look into it. The MSDS isn't as terrifying as I thought it would be after your description.

Final Blog Entry posted:

You'll want an oil based blocking primer at a minimum, such as Kilz Original. Preferably though, a shellac primer like Zinsser BIN. Both are going to be high odor and high VOC, especially the shellac (it's alcohol based). You'll want proper respirators and lots of ventilation. Any waterbased primer will likely be a waste of time and money.

thanks for the details!

The place is gonna be amazing, got a month and a half to work on it so it should be doable

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 7, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That sure doesn't sound healthy. I said the msds wasn't terrifying, but that was just in terms of protective gear and exposure protocol. Takes 2mg to kill a rat, so I don't think it's something we should be eating :v:

e: I'm guessing it's used for some specific brewing process but doesn't remain in the drink, IIRC there's some toxic alcohols and stuff created that are removed somehow

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 7, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is there a budgetary reason why you’re not just stripping the drywall and rehanging it? I’d start there for ease of use if it’s monetarily feasible. Same deal with the ceiling.

Aesthetic choice, don’t like wallpaper! Misunderstood. It's plaster and stucco. Yeah, we don't have the cash to totally replace the walls.

This is almost worthy of its own thread - lock to the front door broke. Had to call a locksmith to get in. Turns out it was installed in ‘77 and at some point was crudely repaired with some random screws and shims

edit for Powerwash Simulator enthusiasts. Includes bonus wall damage:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 8, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For water-based floor paint, how long before it's safe to walk on it? The paint I'm using has a curing time of 7-10 days. Which is fine, but there's some touch-up work on panels and walls I need to do, and it would be nice to get it done sooner rather than later.

E: The surface is wood flooring in rough shape, if it matters.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Suggestions for removing rust from spots that you can't reach?

I've got several of these door latches which surprisingly feel solid and work fine, but are obviously gross and shedding rust flakes. I want to salvage them, although I realize there's a non zero chance that something may disintegrate.

Currently thinking of soaking them in a vinegar solution, but I'm not sure how to flush them clean afterwards without going back to step one.

e: on a budget, if that isn't obvious :v: There's a lot of other things on the to-do list but being able to close the bathroom doors is a relatively high priority

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 28, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Good call with the metal brush and tremclad (well, equivalent paint available on my side of the Atlantic).

I don't think I'm comfortable taking apart the latches just now, on the off chance I can't get them back together for some reason. It's an option once I can more easily afford new ones.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like how you can see they got nervous after the first cut and decided to leave an extra couple of inches of beam on the next 3.

e: That or it took them a while to figure out how to control the jigsaw or whatever it is they used

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 2, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I want to mount a modem directly onto the wall. It has 2 screw brackets on the back. What is the best way to determine where to put the screws so they line up properly with the modem? Currently considering jamming two stubby screw in the brackets and drilling where they make an impression in the wall.

Plan B is to order the manufacturer's own shelf bracket, but it's not very discreet.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the mounting advice thread! Paper or scanning is a fun trick. I just painted the walls and it hurts a little inside every time I mark them unnecessarily.

I got impatient and made a pattern - measuring and marking on a spare bit of panel, supporting it with a level against the wall and drilling through it. But those are some faster solutions for the next time around.

e:"impatient" is ironic because I chose probably the slowest, most painstaking way to accomplish this tiny task.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 2, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My parents have had (some) success covering the rabbits' most coveted plants in fine metal netting. Affixing the metal mesh onto the pvc panels and extending it a couple feet down underground, then packing it tightly with earth afterwards might prevent rabbits. If the critters are creating small mounds of dirt, it could also be voles, in which case, good luck.

There are some very effective humane cage traps. In a particularly bad year, we were catching 2 to 4 chipmunks every day with those. Then I'd chauffeur the cute bastards 15 minutes down the road and release them into the wilderness.

I'm adding a lot of qualifiers because those little critters are tenacious and the the best and probably only truly effective solution that also isn't going to poison random wildlife and pets is a fit ratting dog.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Get a box of gloves, they go fast if you’re doing some sanding or whatever and it sucks finishing the day with your hands raw where you wore holes in the last remaining pair.

Nitrile gloves are good if you’re going to be doing finicky stuff with solvents or wood glue or whatever.

A foam pad for your knees and or a plastic folding stool might be nice.

Headlamp