Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I need to build a gate for my deck to keep the dogs out of the front yard. The deck has aluminum post and railing all around. My predicament is that the previous owner built these deck stairs double wide, and I can't get ahold of any metal gates that could function the way I'd like. Assuming I could just build a pair of wooden gates, could I mount them on the aluminum posts that are just fastened to the deck? It'd look very ugly but I'm looking for function over form here. My instincts say the wood would be too heavy but I'm not an expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Motronic posted:

Yes.

Do you want real answers? Start posting pictures that are meaningful maybe with scale and some idea of what you are trying to do.

We finally moved in so I can get you some tangible details. The posts in question are 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches and are 3 1/2 feet tall. They're fastened to the deck with bolts. I'm not certain on the deck's construction other than it was redone in the last ten years and it was done professionally. The posts are 5 1/2 feet apart where a gate would go, so I'm not sure if I should do one bigger gate or smaller double gates.

I just want to know that these aren't going to bust under the weight of a wooden gate mounted on them, assuming they were installed correctly and are in good condition.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I've started removing the wallpaper in our 12x10 guest bedroom, and two of the walls seem to have been replaced by the previous owner. It looks like they never sealed the gyprock because it's all coming off with the wallpaper and it's a bit of a disaster. The other two walls have three layers of wallpaper over a very seventies shade of green paint. Considering the amount of work it's going to take getting the paper off the newer walls, would it be worth just tearing it off and hiring someone to redo the drywall? We'd have to reseal it anyways... The tape over the seams is coming up too. I'm pissed they did such a lovely job but they're very old

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Hey thread, I've got a thermostat question that seems too quick for the HVAC thread.

I have a gas furnace that's being control by a simple 2 wire millivolt thermostat, and I think now is the time to upgrade it to a smart/programmable one. If the furnace is newish and has spots for more than just the two wires that the millivolt needs, is there any reason why I can't just wire a new one up that's a 24v thermostat?