Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Motronic posted:

You're going absolutely nuts bombing every subforum with your new house problems. You need to do a better job triaging what matters and what doesn't. For your own sanity.
This is good advice. I've learned to make my peace with minor poo poo I can't be bothered with.

Definitely guilty of cross posting to get advice from a wider pool of people too.

Home ownership! Woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

What's the best way to remove IKEA warning stickers from the unfinished wooden panel? I looked up if it's safe to use Goo Gone, but it says it's not safe for unfinished wood. Can I just get sand paper and whittle it down? I just don't want a gigantic ugly sticker every time I open the drawers. Even my tried and true hair dryer trick seems to be sluggish at best.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-4-in-Round-Heavy-Duty-Wall-Vent-with-Damper-in-White-HDWV4W/301762209

Is this an adequate replacement for all the vent covers? I am a bit put off by the lack of screws to secure the vent to the wall. Am I just supposed to use caulk to adhere it?

I can't seem to find anything better at Home Depot, and I need to replace all my vent covers outside.

I see 4 inch and 6 inch vent sizes. Is there a standardized size? Or do I need to rip out one vent and take some measurements?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Naphtha, acetone, or lacquer thinner should do it and should leave any residue on the wood, especially if you lightly sand it afterwards.

E: acetone and lacquer thinner will definitely gently caress up any finish it gets on, so I would try naphtha first. It’s in the paint department at Lowe’s or wherever as ‘VM & P naphtha’
I was getting desperate and the dresser needed to be finished, so I just ended up scrubbing it down with good old fashioned soap. It worked out beautifully.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 26, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Tell me about using indoor extension cords outdoors for christmas lights. Is that safe?

I have 2 net lights for the bush, and one strand of bulbs circling the tree. I just need the orange extension cord to be about 15 ft. Can I use an indoor extension cord instead of an outdoor one for that purpose? It'd connect to be a GFCI outlet.
More specifically, it seems like outdoor plugs have a ground, but the Christmas lights do not have a ground plug. How does that factor in?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 22, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Use outdoor cords outside.

My only point of confusion was that outdoor extension cords have a third hole for the grounding prong which does not get covered, as the christmas lights only have 2 prongs. Is it safe to just plug it in and leave an empty hole in the extension cord ?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I have a lawn that is a mix of Bermuda and St. Augustine, and different areas of the lawn are dominated by different grasses. Do I just need to pick one or the other and encourage growth that way?

I'm having trouble finding weed and feeds that cater to both. For reference, I live in Texas.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I'm trying to install a wired video doorbell system. I've found the chime/siren for the defunct security system, but I can't find the transformer. I do have one of these in the garage, is this basically the transformer? The previous house owners didn't really explain what that was. It appears to be a security system panel, but I don't have a security system as far as I know.

When I go to the door, there are some wires sticking out.

So, my issues are. I can't find the doorbell chime (save for the siren), and I have these weird colored lights. Should I just get a wireless version so I don't have to mess with all these wires?

My understanding is I can just ignore the green and yellow wires and use the black and red, but when I connect them, nothing happens. Presumably because I haven't been able to jump the two cables in the chime, which I can't find.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 1, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I sprayed a coat of Homex texture spray for the orange peel texture, but I realized after painting it that I should add a thicker coat of texture. Can I just spray the texture over the paint without primer? It's a fairly small area (I took out a coaxial cable from the wall and patched over the hole).

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Since replacing thermostat, I noticed the temperature reading is a lot hotter than before. For example, it's chilly upstairs, but the thermostat says 73. It's not 73.

The only thing that comes to mind is that while replacing the thermostat, I noticed that the blue wire had been connected to the Y slot. I went ahead and followed this diagram with the new thermostat, but come to think of it, shouldn't the blue wire be inserted in the the C slot?

I am wondering if this could be causing the inaccuracy in the reading. Should I go ahead and plug in the blue wire to the C slot? My new thermostat is https://www.amresupply.com/part/TH6110D1005-FOCUSPRO-PROG-1H-1C-STD-SCREEN, that someone gave to me after they upgraded to a nest. I'm also wondering if this particular model is compatible with my gas furnace system, because I noticed the thermostat I removed had a little toggle switch for gas, but this one does not.

I do not have a yellow wire. Only green (connected to G), white (connected to W), red (connected to R) and the blue one, which was connected to Y in the old thermostat.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 16, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Tell me about properly water-proofing a segment of wall next to my shower door. I tried to fix it once already, but it did not work. It began three months ago, when I noticed a segment of the wall right next to my shower door felt crumbly to the touch. I scraped out as much of the crumbly bits as I could, and ran the shower to make sure the source of the water wasn't coming from the inside. After letting everything dry, I used some mud to patch over the area, and painted over it. I also replaced the little squeegee strip under the door. This was about three months ago.

To my dismay, I noticed the other day the same segment was showing little bubbles.

Upon further testing, I noticed the water was leaking out from under the shower door and running down the sides. This time, I will lay down a much thicker strip of caulk to try and guide the water away from said wall. I also got some PVA primer to help with the paint adhesion. While scraping away at the destroyed bits, I began running into some paper, which I presume to be the drywall itself. Do I need to tear all of it out and start anew? Or can I get away with just scraping the bits that come off easily and using mud? Also, Do I need to hit the exposed area with some bleach before mudding?

I also realized the caulking I did was absolute dogshit awful, so I'm going to redo it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

You are not the first person to have this problem; you aren't even the first one to have it in this house.

Your shower door is leaking at the wall, you can try caulking it where the door meets the shower wall on the inside, but you have to remove every bit of caulk & surface prep for good adhesion or you will be wasting your time. You need to do this first before you tackle the drywall, which means cutting it all out and patching in a new piece, but not drywall, you want to use hardiboard because it will resist moisture damage. But make sure the shower door leak is remedied first.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely remedy the leak from the shower door first.

If I do a good enough job leak proofing the door, could I get away with mudding it and putting on multiple coats of primer? I believe they've already patched something into the bottom part of the column, and there is some kind of steel frame to the right.

Peering into the hole, I see some pink material which I presume to be insulation, but it does not appear to he affected in any meaningful way.

I want to do it right, but I'm apprehensive about cutting into my wall more than I have to. I was thinking of using drywall tape and mud to patch that hole.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Is it ok to install a Ring type doorbell to the non-used door in a double door set up? I have a weird column that obstructs my view, so I was thinking about placing it on the non-dominant door itself since it's wireless.

When I place the camera in position A, the wall takes up half of the camera. When I use C (I am using an angle wedge), it doesn't trigger the doorbell until it's too late. Would it be ok to just drill a pilot hole into the door and place it in position B?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 26, 2021

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I thought I was so smart for skipping the Ring to get a Eufy, then the security breech happened. I guess no company can be trusted. At least I don't have cameras inside.

I have a frame that comes down the middle (where the door latches), and I'm thinking about mounting the plate on that frame. I do not have any screen doors or storm doors, so it's just the wooden door. I was thinking I wouldn't have to worry about damaging the door if I drilled a pilot hole first. Are there any additional measures I should take to minimize the damage?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

With paint technology being what it is, is it safe to use an indoor paint primer outdoors and maybe use indoor paint outdoors as well? I have a tiny little wooden lattice that needs a fresh coat, but all I have is indoor paint and primer.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks! It sounds like it'll be worth making a trip to Home Depot to pick up some exterior paint. What about primer? If I'm going to cover it in a coat of paint anyway, is PVZ indoor primer good enough?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

My garden hose faucet doesn't leak during normal use, but as I'm shutting the water off, sometimes it sprays out a torrent of water. What exactly is going on? Does this mean the seal isn't water tight? I'm just confused, as it doesn't leak otherwise. I did use plumbing tape and everything. It looks like I have a backflow preventer bib. Is there a point to having this?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I have a small door in the garage that leads to the water heater. Is it ok to put a shelf in front of the door? I don't plan on putting too many things on the shelf so it wouldn't be a big deal to move it for maintenance. I just wasn't sure if there was a reason I shouldn't do that outside of being inconvenient.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Jose Cuervo posted:

Typically the water shutoff to the house will be somewhere near the water heater. Having to take down a shelf in the event you have to turn the water off in a rush (there is a leak somewhere in the house) is a risk I suppose.

Thankfully (depending on how you look at it) I have no water shut off in my house. I have to go outside and open up the little water meter thing in case of an emergency.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I want to set up an above ground sprinkler system for my lawn in the flower bed in the front of the house. What material should I use to set up the lines that will connect the sprinklers? PVC? 1/2"? Regular water hose? I've seen all three being used, and I'm not sure what the advantages and disadvantages are.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

How complicated/safe is it to replace the garage door belt? The belt seems a bit worn out, but I don't know anything about garage doors, and I'm afraid the belt will snap my face in half if I cut it. Is that belt liable to injure me if I try to remove it? It looks safe, but why not ask first because garage doors in general just freak me out.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I have some light switches that turn off and on before an audible click with some light pressure. Is this a safety concern at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

In the state of Texas, can you call the city to come out and mark property lines? I was under the impression that was usually done by a private surveyor.

My dad's neighbor is rebuilding the shared fence but they're encroaching several feet into my dad's backyard compared to the old location. They're claiming the city sent people out to mark the property line but are unable yo provide any type of documentation. I don't know the first thing about fence law but I'm assuming the next step is to hire a real estate attorney and a surveyor?

Doesn't Texas have a law where if you maintain a property it becomes yours by default? Just looking for insight as all the law offices I contacted today are closed.