Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Man, gently caress nailed tongue & groove floorboards. Took over an hour and I got a single one out (at the edge of the room ofc) and I still ended gouging the poo poo out of it getting the inch long nails out that are buried.
No wonder every professional I spoke to said they were simply impossible to remove without chopping them up.
Now I got to decide do I: chop the tongue off, and chop crossways so I can just lift up the sections I care about? Lift up whole long boards with the tongue removed so at least you won't be able to see obvious cuts?
For context I'm getting mechanical ventilation pipes routed through the house via the (concerted bedroom) attic floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The idea is that ducts need to run across the width of the attic floor, so all the area between the two lines needs to be lifted up. You can't really see in that photo but all the boards are like 2m long.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I guess I'll review the correspondence with the ventilation company or just ask them why they're going down and not up.
The unit is being installed in the attic but the attic floorboards should still be accessible from the ceiling below. But it's chopping up the ceiling of 4 rooms vs the floor of one. Idk.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Here's what it looks like now for reference, and a shot of the profile (that's only on one side because the is the board at the edge so was cut to fit).

This house is like, a carpenter's passion project except 30 years and a real bad owner later, and everything is bespoke hard wood and hand made, and also impossible to do anything with and very fiddly.
E: and that carpenter is in fact still around, will advise me, and complain that anything I want to do whatsoever is entirely unnecessary.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 30, 2023

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
On the plus side you can just start digging with a hand trowel until you either hit concrete or don't, to find out.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I can't see from the photo, is that the actual post that's half gone or just a panel upright?

Rotten posts are from wood sitting in water are unfixable. You simply have to replace them. If there's concrete it's a pain but if it's dirt or gravel that's easier to re-dig for new posts.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Worst case you accidentally dig out the whole post and are halfway done

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I did that myself recently and it's easy and cheap to just replace its guts. I had to do a little bit of chiselling to make everything fit but they're a fairly standard shape and everything lined up for me. Bring the old one to the store to double check it's the same size.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I have one of these because my DSL router keeps getting fried by lightning. But I'm struggling to find a good place to earth it. There's a normal (UK, 3 pin, plastic) electrical socket next to it. I couldn't find any 3-pin sockets that have an exposed earth post or something, do those exist? As far as I can see my other options are: try to see if the screws attaching the socket to the wall are earthed, make a little hole in the socket plate to feed an earth wire out through, ditto for the telephone line socket, or try to piggyback from using an actual intended earth pin in the socket with no actual plug attached? Or just do nothing and try to unplug my modern during thunderstorms until I get ftth ofc.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Wall tapestries.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
If reflowing seems infeasible could always last ditch try jbweld imo.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I read a bit more after I posted and apparently the thermal expansion of jbweld is quite different to copper. So this going through regular heat cycles means that it's probably more temporary than if it were just at room temp 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
What is this hose that goes from the bottom of my fridge into the inverter unit, and how much of a problem is it that there's a kink in it? Note that the fridge has no water or ice dispenser. If it's just the condensation drain why is it clamped into the inverter? Please forgive the dirt that has crept under the fridge.

I only found it because the smoke alarm went off with no noticeable cause or smell. But I changed the batteries and it's calmed down so hopefully unrelated.