Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

So we had some water damage in our recently refinished basement this week thanks to a faulty installation of some water treatment equipment (drain line for the filter popped itself out and backwashed all over our floor). The water treatment company is accepting responsibility fully, fixed the cause, and opened a claim with their business insurance to cover the damages.

The insurance company is getting ready to send out their independent adjuster, and I want to make sure I get absolutely everything I can covered. I put a couple hundred hours into this basement personally last year after we had a sump failure flood back in Fall 2019. Seeing all my hard work torn up and piled in the middle of the basement sucks.

I want to make sure that the insurance covers it getting fixed back to 100% of where it was Monday night. What are some things I need to be looking out for or pressing with the claims adjuster? I don't want them to try to get away from paying for new flooring, new trim, all labor, and damaged personal items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

devicenull posted:

Do you have any photos of what it was before? If so, get them printed out at walgreens or whatever, and give them to the adjuster. I don't know what it is, but physical photos seem to have way more of an impact then "let me show you this on my phone". Bonus points if you can accurately date them (does your phone save timestamps?) I'd take some photos of what it looks like now, and get those printed as well.

There's also this reddit guy which might help.

Note: I've never had to deal with this - just my suggestions to get :10bux: of photos printed in the hopes it helps!

Thanks! That's a solid link.

We have spent a lot of time down there this past year with the kids so there are probably literally a thousand photos, plus detailed walkthrough when I found out. And since literally everything damaged, including the flooring and trim, is less than a year old, I've got receipts for everything.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Oh yeah absolutely. I have no desire to do this again inside of a year. Thanks everyone.

e: last time we did it ourselves because a) I like doing that sort of stuff, generally and b) it was a sump backup issue so the insurance company cut us a check for our max coverage which was enough for materials but not for installation. That wasn't so bad because the basement was in sorry shape for it and we basically got a free $5k to do a project we planned on doing anyway. It's nice to stand back and look at the difference you made yourself after a lot of hours. Not so much for this because it'd just be a ton of time I don't really have to get it right back to where it was.

Anyone know if you can ask for time for labor for stuff like having to reassemble replacement cabinets etc? Our personal property damage is pretty limited but it'll probably take a day to go to the store, purchase the cabinets (and kids toys), bring them home, assemble etc.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 30, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Magic erasers are basically super fine grit wet sanding sponges. If the stain is on the surface, it should work. If it's absorbed into the finish or the wood, you're going to have to sand down to the affected areas.

Definitely test somewhere inconspicuous first.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Steely Dad posted:

Apologies if this is not the right place for this question. I’m happy to go elsewhere if there’s a better thread.

My mom’s visiting this weekend for the first time in over a year. So of course, her upstairs sink burst somehow and flooded the house. Part of the upstairs floor has collapsed.

She’s insured and wants to negotiate as successfully as possible with the insurance company. What should she do?

Check my post history in this thread and look for late April. My basement flooded recently and I got some pretty good advice here as well as some links.

Document everything. I've got a google doc where I kept a daily log of everything I did related to the flood/insurance including notes of every conversation. Pictures, pictures, pictures. Don't be afraid to ask for anything that got even slightly wet to be replaced as damaged. Don't be afraid to ask for some compensation for your time for project managing/GC'ing this. I even got them to pay for the electricity it cost to run the 9 fans an 2 commercial dehumidifiers by finding the nameplate amperage, calculating the total run time, and using a recent power bill. Anything you can think of that is costing you time and/or money is a reasonable ask. Get estimates for any repair work so you know if their settlement offer is actually reasonable to fix the damage or not. Dig up any receipts you may have for damaged items, and if you can't find any, find the item's current price or something of like kind and quality.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I wonder what sort of data there is that shows the effectiveness of video doorbells or even full blown camera systems for deterrence of residential burglary or vandalism.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We have an old table set we picked up for cheap and refinished a few months ago. One of the spindles holding the rear legs together pulled out the other week? What's the best way to fix this? Titebonding it back together didn't hold.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

When in doubt, rent a bigger tool

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Manager Hoyden posted:

How do I find a pop-up drain attached to an old house's downspout? And once I find it, how do I clean out the underground gutter?

Just did this yesterday to a drain of mine. I detached it from the gutter downspout and shoved a garden hose on full blast down in there. Walked over to the area about 20' away where I had a pretty idea where it was, saw some water bubbling up from underground, and started digging with a trenching shovel. I eventually uncovered the completely compacted drain pipe about 8" down and then just kept digging all around it. I also dug a nice little trench running deeper downhill and off into the woods right next to the drain exit, and then blasted as much mud out of the pipe as I could. My starting point was this video, and of course you'd get a much more thorough cleaning using a pressure washer setup like they do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8QHpMELxQ

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The teeth inside the handle might be stripped out, too. I've replaced a few of mine and the replacements don't just pull off like the old ones did.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We're starting to plan out a remodel of a small half bathroom. We want to replace the existing tile, but it's part of continuous tile run throughout the first floor. What's the appropriate tool(s) and technique to cut a line here so I can cleanly remove the bathroom tile while leaving the hallway tile undamaged? It's porcelain tile mortared directly to the plywood subfloor, no cement backboard.

bonus points if you guess correctly whether or not the PO's (or their installers) properly undercut the door jams or just cut the tiles around the door jams and filled the gaps with grout!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Who do you call out to assess potential foundation issues?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I choose to run a dehumidifier rather than a 1hp motor 24/7

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

As part of some renovations, we've discovered mice nests in the walls. The insulation has been discarded and everything vacuumed up thoroughly, but there's definitely still a noticable urine smell. What's the right way to fully clean this before we close the walls back up?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Oh there is no more drywall. This is stud and sheathing. Smelly area is near door, it wasn't noticable before demo though.

Bonus points if you spot the crappy construction.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jenkl posted:

Nothing is holding that header up lol

The important thing is that you have the correct number of jack studs. Placement can be wherever.

Explains why the door was never quite sealed closed

e: we're replacing and shifting the location of that door so at least it'll be fixed!

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 13, 2023

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If cabinets are being replaced, why not hard wire lighting?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The pipes under one of my sinks are "loose" or floppy. They're not leaking or anything, but is there a way to secure them better? They run straight up from the bottom of the cabinet, maybe 3-4" from the back.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Might be worth checking your insurance policy to see if a new roof is covered

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

3' clearance, but that pipe looks like it's to the side?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

When you have a nail, everything looks like a hammer

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The dust.... The dust....

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What's the difference between solid stain and exterior paint? Why would you choose one over the other?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Just make sure it's an electrician who actually knows how to handle fiber. Seen plenty that think you can pull it the same way you pull copper.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ultimately motronic is probably right that the best answer is to leave the ONT where it is and extend via copper to a network closet or enclosure somewhere. You could go through all the trouble of extending the fiber just to relocate the ONT, but it's a single device that's happy to live on it's own. Your copper outlets can still all run back to a central point where your router and switch live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I like my Ryobi 40v weed whacker.