Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
Some of my 100 year old plaster ceiling just fell down and exposed the boards (about a 4x3 section). I've never done any plaster stuff before. Would this be a good way to fix it? https://www.oldhouseonline.com/repairs-and-how-to/how-to-fix-plaster-ceilings/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

kid sinister posted:

Yep. That's about how it goes: remove any loose plaster, find laths, drill holes, glue the plaster back down to the lath, clamp down with screws, wait for glue to dry, remove screws, plaster, paint.

That first step is removing the bad plaster. That "4x3 section" could get a lot bigger. That depends on why the old stuff fell.

PainterofCrap posted:

The old stuff fell because wood shrinks as it ages, making nail holes and gaps between laths bigger. Also, the plaster breaks off where it's smooshed through the gaps in the lath, everything dries out & loses its adhesion.

Not kiddding about the nails/brads. These are smooth-shank and small, so over the course of a century gravity never stops doing what it does, aided by shrinkage; check for loose lath while up there.

Another trick is to cut out the plaster & lath into two joists, and install a couple layers if drywall as a patch. It can look weird since it can be difficult to get it to blend in the surrounding plaster.

It fell because there was a water leak from the room above. One of the laths came detached from the joist, and I'm guessing that caused it to sag down (we could see the plaster sagging and cracking for over a year before it actually fell). Can I use a screw to reattach the lath to the joist instead of a nail so it's more secure?

Beef Eater fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 7, 2023

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
I've got a GSS25JERFWW, GE side-by-side fridge. It abruptly stopped cooling at all yesterday. The condenser is room temperature, and the condenser fan and compressor aren't running. The evaporator fan is running, and turns off if the freezer is set to zero (expected behavior as far as I know). The lights also still work correctly. Anyone know what could be going on?

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
I was putting a new battery in my mower when I noticed it has four connecting wires. Two black and two red. Should I just bolt both wires to each matching terminal?

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

Motronic posted:

How were they before? What kind of mower?

In general, the answer is "yes" but there's not enough information to confidently tell you that.

I'm pretty sure they were like that before. I thought I took a picture of it but apparently I didn't. It's a Snapper about a decade old. Would have to find the model.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

Motronic posted:

If it's that old the cables have "memory" and want to go back to where they were before....especially if the only thing that's been done to it was to remove the old battery from a previously working mower (if that's not the case you just upped the complexity and my answer will be very differnet). It's overwhelmingly likley they were just bundled together if this is just an old gas mower and you shouldn't have to fight them to get them to do that. If something seems too hard stop and reevaluate the situation.

Alright, thanks. Yeah, it's a working mower than just had the battery removed.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
What do you call that wooden thing that looks kind of like a pommel horse, and you can put two of them together to lay your project across them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

That was it, thanks.