Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I cut a hole (roughly 1'x1') in a plaster & lathe wall and need to patch it back up. It's in the back corner of a closet so "good enough" is fine - cut a piece of drywall to size, tape & mud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

My house has a dining room built-in with a couple drawer holes and no drawers. Anyone have tips or a guide for cobbling together a couple replacements?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'd try a dremel or drill with a wire brush. An angle grinder seems a bit excessive for caulk.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Are combo leaf blower/mulcher/vacuums any good at the vac & mulch part? My backyard is tiered so leaves have to be carried out to the street instead of just blown/raked, it'd be easier if I could just suck them up.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 16, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I avoid anything large/wheeled like that, since my backyard is tiered and I'd have to build a ramp or carry it down the staircase. Maybe I'll grab a pair of those big plastic hand scoops for leaves.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

What's the proper way to secure a 1x4 I'm cutting with a jigsaw?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Motronic posted:

The default answer is "clamp the end you aren't cutting to your work surface". Or just hold it there with your off hand.

But I'm not sure why you're cutting framing lumber with a jigsaw so maybe your question might be different.

Cause I want to!

Serious edit: I'm replacing some of the balusters on my porch railing. My basement work bench seems to be home-made (came with the house) and is too thick (~12") to affix the clamps I have to; as long as I'm spending money I'm wondering if I just need a bigger clamp or if a carpentry vise or something is the way to go.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 28, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Chin-up bar for toddlers

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

FateFree posted:

I assumed that would be even worse for some reason. Is that the correct way I should be storing these? I'm gonna need a ton of space since I have fairly large stacks of these things.

Baking sheet?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

My shower didn't seem as warm as usual this morning, and when I went down to look at the water heater (circa 2006, gas) the floor was wet from a slow drip out the relief valve. What do?

Toebone fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 21, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

It's still dripping, about once every 3-4 seconds.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I tapped the valve with the handle of a screwdriver a couple times and the leaking stopped. If it acts up against I'll try replacing the valve.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I want to buy some pegboards for my tools, any brands you guys like? The steel Wall Control ones on Amazon seem popular.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

corgski posted:

For unfinished spaces I’d recommend something like these, or the much more expensive but more reliable Feit or Cree products in the same vein.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...83141/206028970

Five of these light my entire 25x30 basement, for reference.

I can't speak for relative quality but I got these cheap LED lights on amazon and I've got zero complaints. Basement is much more pleasant than it was with a few old incandescents scattered about.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I bought the 8 pack of Barrina 4-ft LED lights on Amazon for $50, they worked great for lighting up my basement and laundry room. The hardware is barebones but I don't think you'll find a better deal anywhere.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

My house has a couple crappy windows a previous owner put in that are freezing in the winter; the plastic shrink wrap stuff does wonders. Definitely seal up any air leaks first though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

melon cat posted:

Century homes, yo. One of my neighbours opened up a wall for some renovations and found it to be insulated with... pants. Lots and lots of pants.

The perimeter of my attic is insulated with hundreds of tightly-packed 1830s newspapers.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

melon cat posted:

What's the best way to seamlessly join two pieces of flexible metal ducting? Obviously I can't crimp them the way I can with rigid ducting.

I did buy the pictured duct connector but I don't like how it goes on the INSIDE of each adjoining piece of ducting then is clamped down from the outside. Or is less-than-airtight connectors just one of the trade-offs of not using rigid ducting and something I'll have to live with?

Also- what's the verdict on tension clamps versus worm clamps when working flexible metal ducting?

Thanks for all of your help with my attic ducting questions by the way. Really hoping to get this all done before it warms up significantly otherwise I'll be baking to death working in the knee wall

I'd use that connector, wrap the joint with foil tape, then tighten the clamps.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Specifically a box for "old work", it has little arms that fold out to hold it onto the drywall instead of being nailed into a stud.

A small set of fish rods is probably the easiest way to feed the wire through the wall, I just ran ethernet from my ground floor up to the attic and dropped back down to the second floor with a 10' set and a fair amount of patience.

Edit: what that guy said ^^^

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

For step one, I'd try a little can of spray lock lube. Spray a bunch inside the lock and give it some good twists back and forth, it might get things moving again.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Is 8 month old gas still usable? I have about 2 gallons. Is it going to wreck my car if I mix it in with a full fresh tank?

Is it worth ~$6 to find out?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I want to replace our crappy old storm door; when measuring the existing door, do I include the hinge/latch rails, or just the door itself?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Worth noting that if you live near one of McMasters handful of distribution centers, you can order stuff and pick it up in person. Their NJ center is on my way home from work, saved me a couple bucks and shipping time on more than a few occasions.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

couldcareless posted:

Couldn't you just use the tire leak method of a spray bottle of water and a little dish soap?

I was going to suggest that but I figured spraying soapy water on something you wanted to tape up after would be counter productive.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

My dad's got one, I haven't used it but he seems happy with it. He does like spending lots of money on gimmicky junk fwiw

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'm an environmental remediation contractor in New Jersey - Alpha Analytics and TestAmerica both have labs in Albany; I've used both companies extensively and they do good work.

Do you have any wells on the property? They should be tested, especially if they're used for drinking water.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Gaj posted:

The entire road up and down the mountain uses wells. There is yearly DEP water testing via their own/state park wells, but I dont know how their testing schedule has been what with covid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DRBCBX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what Im having sent over right now until I can find ways to get tests from both labs you mentioned.

That covers most of the analyses you'd do for landfill leachate, so it'll at least give you a sense of what you're dealing with. Definitely get the NYDEC involved, a leaky landfill is going to need a pretty extensive investigation.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

One of the tap handles on my basement utility sink broke, anyone recognize it / know where to find a replacement?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

mutata posted:

Victorian England mansion?

It’s Greek revival :colbert:

Edit: to clarify, I just want another handle that’s the same style/fitting, I know I won’t find an exact replacement

Toebone fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 14, 2022

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I’ve got a crumbling patch of plaster wall, about 2’ by 2’, that seems mostly held together by inertia and several decades of paint. Is replastering a area that size doable by a semi-competent layman, or should I get a pro? (Read: fill the cracks with compound and ignore it another year)

Toebone fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 15, 2022

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Get a new bumper sticker you like better and slap it on top

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

I also just had a chat with my mum, who loves putting IKEA furniture together, who suggested that maybe the tops and bottoms are swapped, or are 180 degrees the other way around.

I put together a Kallax a couple years ago and I’m pretty sure I had the same problem, rotating the top 180 fixed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

Deglazing is my immediate first thought. Add some water and heat it up and scrape with a wooden spatula or something.

I would guess vinegar would work? But personally if deglazing doesn't work my next step is usually Barkeeper's Friend, a scrub pad, and elbow grease. If it's just plain stainless, and not coated or anything, then that shouldn't damage it.

Seconding barkeepers friend, that's rescued a couple scorched pots for me.