Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a pretty standard disclaimer in construction submittals noting that approval of construction documents does not necessarily relieve you of the need to follow laws and code requirements.

If you don’t have something in writing saying that a variance is approved then you should assume that it is not and someone could notice at any time.

Up to you what kind of risks you want to take there, I imagine that enforcement can vary significantly.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jam a bunch of toothpicks into the existing holes, trim flush, reinstall screws.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe set down a line of more charismatic decorative rocks in front of it? Or if bigger rocks aren’t available then maybe a faux dry stone wall made of smaller rocks so it looks less like exposed rubble?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why do they even put those in, all they do is break.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

See also: why I hoard scraps and random extra bullshit.

Nothing feels better than needing some random unusual part for a project then discovering that you have something that will work sitting right there in an old coffee can on the shelf.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it rocking or are some connections slipping/bending? If rocking then shim up whichever corner of the legs is high. If bending then tighten the bolts. If tightening the bolts doesn’t work then send it back because it is defective.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well it will definitely take your mind off of whatever else is going on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s important to periodically rummage through the shelf so you know what is there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Likely just a bad design then.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
P. sure buying an apartment is only a thing in New York. Everywhere else when you buy an apartment then it is called a condo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In and out (perpendicular to the fence line) I would think?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

other people posted:

Okay more fun at my parents home. All their toilets fill the bowl practically to the brim. I have adjusted the floats as low as they go and things are a bit better but there is still way to much water in the bowl imho.

Is there anything else I can easily do to make this better? The toilets all flush fine and don't run. The house is in the US and from the early 70's. I'd guess the toilets are too. I know it toilets use more water so maybe this is just their style.

The water level is controlled by a type of trap at the back of the bowl, the float only controls how much water is used in each flush (which will basically always be more than the normal volume in the bowl). If the bowl is suddenly filling too high then the trap could be partially blocked.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If it is an old toilet that has always done it then maybe it is just a weird outdated design from someone who was thinking fuller = better than.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Danhenge posted:

Actual question: could a toilet being off-level contribute to it filling too much (or too little, for that matter)?

Yes but it would probably have to be off significantly to matter. I.e. you would be sliding off the seat.

Just mentally rotate the diagrams above, keeping the water line horizontal and at the level of the lip in the trap.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some times you remove them by picking up the front of the drawer when it is fully extended. The wheels lift up through a gap in the top of the rail with no levers etc. involved.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You could put some sheets of plywood or similar flat up against the walls to carry the load instead. Rest the desktop on the top edge of those.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do you really need to take the tank apart to replace that? I’ve never done it but I would have guessed that it just unscrews from the bottom of the tank.

Anyway, least invasive modification may be to cut some slots down from the top of the pipe to an elevation below the problematic hole with a hacksaw blade or something small with a cutting wheel?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one has every bought replacement parts for a toilet while still having a working toilet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I fuckin love load-bearing paint.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you think an overflowing sewer cleanout next to your old porch is bad, wait until you have an overflowing sewer cleanout underneath your new porch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spare Concrete Goose would be a good username.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Plastic tarp of the appropriate dimensions.

Paired with some battens of a length slightly greater than the width of the sandbox to form an arch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Well, I learned a new word today. Neither Lowe's nor Home Depot's sites have anything that seem to be relevant. How would I attache the battens (slats?) to the tarp, and how would I secure the whole thing to the sandbox?

I was picturing them just wedged inside the sandbox and bowed upwards. I guess tie the tarp down with a rope or something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you want to feel better about it you can take piece of 2x4 or something and tamp the dry cement powder into the hole a few inches at a time. Then you have a something with a strength and stiffness roughly the same as the surrounding soil, and when it eventually gets access to moisture it will hydrate and set up even stronger.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Could also build an arch that supports itself in compression. That’s how they did it before they had structural steel.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

How bad is it that I bypassed the lid switch on my washing machine with a wire nut and electrical tape? I ordered a new one but it probably won't be here till at least Monday. Might do one more load of laundry before that.

This poo poo isn't going to burn down is it?

Just don’t open the lid while it’s spinning.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just leave the lid closed when I run the washer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

An air filter won't save you.

Yeah unless that dust spends time flying through the air in huge visible clouds then an air filter won't help much. The air filter is for if you live in a wildfire smoke zone, or maybe next to the freeway.

The solution to OP's problem is to clean (vacuum, dust surfaces, wash linens) regularly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s all decorative. Do not lean on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Doesn't sound like anything to me.

Anyway, #1 candidate for weird microwave noises is usually the moving parts of the turntable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Perhaps don't let Larry, Moe, and Curly help next time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Regular ol' hacksaw could probably do it also.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are sure it is unfastened then maybe just flip it over and give it a good hard shake or tap. It should just fall out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah don’t buy PPE from Amazon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can you divert your septic to a nearby body of water.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Sounds like fan bearing noise.

Same.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also clean the shower while you are at it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shoe polish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Buy the LG guy an account so he can explain himself.