Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
We're taking down the drywall and adding insulation and a window to a room my brother in law is staying squatting in. He's doing most of the work since this is the kind of poo poo he usually does. The window we're putting in is a leftover from a previous renovation my neighbor did, but it matches our house perfectly. Since we're going through the effort and expense of adding the insulation, is there a way to tell if the window my neighbor gave me is better or worse than buying something at a big box store? I'd rather buy something useful rather than install something that's going to be drafty and lovely.

Edit to add that the windows aren't anything fancy, and they're probably at least 15-20 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I figured. It's a single pane window so I'll have to price out a new window because I don't want to do all this work with the insulation just to have a piece of poo poo window that's going to be drafty.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

The cheapo option will be to use that single pane window and put a layer of insulating shrink-film on the frame.

You can't open the window then of course, but you probably don't want to open it much in the winter anyway. Come spring you can remove the film, use it like a regular window, then do the film again in the summer and/or winter

I don't even want a window to begin with. My jackass brother in law doesn't need a 3rd window "for air flow" when his room just smells like farts so at this point unless he does the work and pays for the new window, it's not getting installed. I really appreciate everyone's input on this; it's given me the info I need to make a proper decision on this project.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

HycoCam posted:

I'd be noping out at the brother in law cutting any holes in the side of my not leaking house. :)

This is a really good point that I hadn't considered.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is there a type of thermostat that's less susceptible to erroneous readings from sunlight? I have an old mercury thermostat on the wall now but when the sun hits it, it reads 15-20F high. It's connected to a gas wall furnace in an out-building so it's not crucial that it's 100% accurate, but if a $20 electronic thermostat would fix it, I'd happily spend the money. It's a 2-wire system if it matters.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
We bought this house a few years ago and I'm finally getting to some low priority projects like replacing one of the ugly rear end old ceiling fans. I took the old one down and found that the bracket for the new fan didn't line up with the holes on the mounting plate attached to the electrical box. I cut away enough of the drywall to get the whole box out and it's only attachment point is that metal things going across that doesn't appear to actually attach to a joist or anything solid but I can't tell for sure, it feels like it's just resting on the surrounding drywall.

I've never seen something like this, but clearly it worked because of how long the fan had been mounted without failing. Would this be safe to mount a new fan that weighs 17lbs to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Motronic posted:

That's a (old school) fan box. So yes, assuming it was properly installed to begin with, and it sounds like it was, you should be totally fine.

I'm gonna guess you have both a switch loop and a downstream circuit in there. Hope you kept track of what was connected to what.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah I labeled everything before I took it out.