Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Requesting advice on hot water heaters.

My mother sent me this picture today and asked me if this means she needs to replace her hot water heater. drat if I know, but I figure folks here might be able to give advice.

It's an electric installed in 2004. That is not an actual wet puddle in the foreground but it seems obvious to me as a layperson that there has been some leakage at some point.

If she does need to replace it she was asking about a tankless water heater. Is there anything specific I should tell her that wouldn't be covered by a basic pros & cons list I could google up?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Righto, I'll pass all that along. She's on electric, not gas, and it's inside in a utility closet not the garage (next to the AC unit she just had replaced). It's got a big double door setup so access shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure how big the tank is but I'll keep that in mind when we're looking for a replacement.

Thanks folks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The ceiling vent fan in my mother's laundry room has developed a very loud rattle and she's asked me to look in to how to replace it. It's wired up in such a way that it turns on with the overhead light on the same switch and inset into a cutout in the ceiling, about a foot square, and it's almost certainly original to the house in the late 70s.

I feel like it should be doable but I don't know what information I need to find a new equivalent model, right power and size etc. Is there a specialty name for this type of fan, and what stuff should I look for? I can probably access it from the attic but I'd prefer not to have to if I can avoid it.

I have a pic but it's probably not super useful:

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 1, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Motronic posted:

It's an exhaust fan. Take the plastic trim off, scrape out all the dust and lint, and under there somewhere is going to be a sticker. It's going to tell you it's 120 volts. Then measure the opening and find a fan that size. If you're exceptionally lucky you can google the model number on the sticker and perhaps find the exact fan so you can just swap out the motor and blades.

Okay, so the trim and cover should just pop off? I was worried that I'd break something if I tried to force it and then I'd have a bigger repair job on my hands.

E: is there a significant difference between a bathroom exhaust fan and this one for the laundry room?

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 1, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Motronic posted:

It looks pretty old, so the plastic is likely brittle. It may break. That won't stop it from working. Get something thin around the edges to make sure it's not stuck to the paint and then try pulling it down. They are generally just held into the body of the fan with spring clips to provide tension. Pulling/prying straight down gently should get it loose.

Okay, the cover came off with no problem or breakage and I was able to get it off and take a look at the unit. It looks like the inner mount comes all the way out (left it in for the time being) and I can just pull out the fan and motor as a unit and take it to a hardware store where they can recommend an appropriate replacement.

Meanwhile the motor just plugs into a two-prong AC socket in the mount so I unplugged the bastard. Now it doesn't turn on with the light and make godawful noise so the issue is a little less urgent.

Thanks for the help!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I want to mount a modem directly onto the wall. It has 2 screw brackets on the back. What is the best way to determine where to put the screws so they line up properly with the modem? Currently considering jamming two stubby screw in the brackets and drilling where they make an impression in the wall.

Plan B is to order the manufacturer's own shelf bracket, but it's not very discreet.

Someone gave me a set of these as a random gift a few years ago, and I don't use them often but when I do it makes mounting stuff to the wall incredibly easy. Up to you if it's worth it in the long run at the price. I'd buy them again now. One of those little convenient gadgets that turns something minorly obnoxious into a simple no-sweat thing.

https://a.co/d/aR8yCny

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 2, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
How interchangeable are the hoses linking a handheld shower head to its mount? I have a Moen Quattro with a broken rubber tube inside the hose. It comes off with no trouble but I'm hoping I can replace the hose with something cheaper than the $85 the company wants for it, since that's nearly what I paid for the whole unit originally.

The part number is 210007SRN, but I'm not too set on having the color and finish match. We're going to replace it with a different shower head for the master bath and put it in the guest bathroom. My wife never really liked this one in action anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

How interchangeable are the hoses linking a handheld shower head to its mount? I have a Moen Quattro with a broken rubber tube inside the hose. It comes off with no trouble but I'm hoping I can replace the hose with something cheaper than the $85 the company wants for it, since that's nearly what I paid for the whole unit originally.

The part number is 210007SRN, but I'm not too set on having the color and finish match. We're going to replace it with a different shower head for the master bath and put it in the guest bathroom. My wife never really liked this one in action anyway.

Followup in case anyone ever searches the thread for a similar issue:

According to the plumbing aisle guy at the hardware store they're completely interchangeable and standardized, so I'll just get a cheap replacement hose.