Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Civvie in a round up video said phantom fury, an upcoming game, was bad and he has no intention to make a video about it.

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1782728464748925166?t=W0lcGjuBAO_DEOX5zd2fiw&s=19

Positive comment: I hope whoever is responsible for promoting Phantom Fury falls into a woodchipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The 7th Guest posted:

or this person who won't play mother 3

people like this drive me loving crazy. they're everywhere too.

whether you buy a cart of an old game secondhand or download a rom for it, the original creators are not seeing a cent of your money.
there is no negative moral aspect to emulating games that are not being redistributed whatsoever, unless you are the kind of boy scout brain idiot who thinks legality determines morality. and if you are you should be sent to some kind of gamer reform organization.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
someone gave two idiots a pile of swords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTzusKpzZho&hd=1

also, WoolieVS got a special guest on his couch yesterday with his old pal PatStaresAt, and Woolie destroyed him live on stream. he will never recover
https://clips.twitch.tv/BetterAntediluvianDaikonAMPEnergyCherry-nLrEFgB9TarJbFQU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

LazyMaybe posted:

whether you buy a cart of an old game secondhand or download a rom for it, the original creators are not seeing a cent of your money.
there is no negative moral aspect to emulating games that are not being redistributed whatsoever, unless you are the kind of boy scout brain idiot who thinks legality determines morality. and if you are you should be sent to some kind of gamer reform organization.

It's currently :siren:ILLEGAL:siren: to play Mother 3, in a language other than Japanese. I made a solemn vow just over 18 years ago, and that vow does NOT include learning Japanese.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

wizard2 posted:

It's currently :siren:ILLEGAL:siren: to play Mother 3, in a language other than Japanese. I made a solemn vow just over 18 years ago, and that vow does NOT include learning Japanese.

It is in fact illegal to not give Nintendo money at any time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

this has occasionally but persistently popped up in my recommends over the last year or so, I finally watched it. nothing new to anyone who has actually read the entirety of usagi drop, but an okay breakdown of the series, why it was good, and why it was so mortifying seeing the path it took
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_221j4BTA&hd=1

some of the comments being from fathers who were increasingly dismayed as they read the series, or remarking on public reception to the series's shift, really takes me back to when people were reading it as it happened. just a slow motion trainwreck and everyone could see where the author was going with it but refusing to believe they would actually do it, just irrevocably ruining and setting alight the exceptional series they had built up until that point.
see that series's twist is dumb but also i kinda dislike the framing of like.. 'i couldnt help but let my guard down' and 'what if THIS manga pulls an usagi drop' feels kind of dumb. like you shouldnt hold an entire medium to greater scrutiny cause one thing made by one person took a dumb turn in the last couple dozen chapters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LazyMaybe posted:

also a guy with a dangan ronpa av saying that is really funny because that series wouldnt exist in the west without illegal fan translations

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

someone gave two idiots a pile of swords.

I thoroughly enjoyed Dan getting reprimanded by the sword safety guy being the introduction of a) the guest and b) that they had a sword safety guy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

see that series's twist is dumb but also i kinda dislike the framing of like.. 'i couldnt help but let my guard down' and 'what if THIS manga pulls an usagi drop' feels kind of dumb. like you shouldnt hold an entire medium to greater scrutiny cause one thing made by one person took a dumb turn in the last couple dozen chapters
eh, people get wary after getting burned particularly badly. I get it. and the video does say some things in a dumb way, but in general he's right about the series.

I don't think anyone thinks yotsuba or other series are going to do something weird like that. I don't remember anyone saying things of the sort, anyways.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Woke up, felt lovely, put on Jacob Geller's video refuting the "Zelda is so edgy and dark" hot takes, and felt a little better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tXLsEUpaQ

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

eh, people get wary after getting burned particularly badly. I get it. and the video does say some things in a dumb way, but in general he's right about the series.

I don't think anyone thinks yotsuba or other series are going to do something weird like that. I don't remember anyone saying things of the sort, anyways.
tbf with that second one im mostly going by the comments which did have people talking about how they were worried abotu spy x family going that route and its like come on

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i look at resetera occasionally to have some good chuckles. like whenever they have a 'steam hidden gems' thread

or this person who won't play mother 3

they also have a dedicated thread for karl jobst

e: i have a folder full of stupid takes that i screencap and share on discord there's just always material everywhere

from the Fallout TV show thread over there

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

tbf with that second one im mostly going by the comments which did have people talking about how they were worried abotu spy x family going that route and its like come on

Worrying about the flavor of plain gruel changing

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

That is a truly astonishing response to a moment that made me go "Oh, that's neat".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

oh I didn't see that, that's insane then yeah. like usagi drop was a pretty successful series but spy x family is a ridiculous blockbuster, the editors would never allow something like that to happen

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

Woke up, felt lovely, put on Jacob Geller's video refuting the "Zelda is so edgy and dark" hot takes, and felt a little better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tXLsEUpaQ

I like Jacob Geller because it's like watching a mom do the airplane spoon feeding thing with a baby, except the food is art theory and history and the spoon is video games. Lol. I mean that in an affectionate way.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Spy x Family is big enough that I legit saw a trailer for the movie (subbed) on Portuguese tv.

LazyMaybe posted:

Unless you really wanna engage 100% with the rhythm mechanic, at this point you can get something from the massive haul of emulation consoles from China where something will pop there every 4 weeks or so that will easily run it in whatever form factor you desire. And also because of how Balatro is programmed, you can technically put Balatro on a good share of those machines if you brought that game at some point.

The latest Quinton vid was the first time I've seen the title and was like "Nah I'm good."

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Cross-Section posted:

every time this guy boots up a Fallout his pants magically drop to his ankles

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Apropos of nothing, here's some nice commentary on an online creator I just stumbled across and want to share. For those without embeds, it's Tim Heidecker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO5q1m2kC00

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cross-Section posted:

Fallout has a theme?

Not even joking I’ve been playing the series since 2 and I couldn’t tell you what the theme music of Fallout is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

njsykora posted:

Fallout has a theme?

Not even joking I’ve been playing the series since 2 and I couldn’t tell you what the theme music of Fallout is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl5xbFXrFU4

Rendering it down to the bare minimum, the Fallout theme is a rising three note progression, followed by each game's individual melody.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 23, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

njsykora posted:

Fallout has a theme?

In the show it plays at the bit in the Vault 4 classroom when it's showing all the NCR and Shady Sands stuff.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

njsykora posted:

Fallout has a theme?

It’s like 9 orchestra stabs and a weepy violin I think.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

and that menu pop sound when you get past the press start

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

TheMightyBoops posted:

in my mind, it's either this, Maybe by The Ink Spots, or World Map on the Mark Morgan Fallout 1 soundtrack but it has to have lots of very harsh 90s PC blip, ka-chunk and chirp sounds as part of the score, as I fumble around with the environment and repeatedly enter and exit menus trying to once again gain my bearings with the old rear end ugly rear end software

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

A fun video about umpire shenanigans throughout history. Maybe a bit dry but I like Jimmy's style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l37lQMUFrjI

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

i got burned in real time with usagi drop too as the chapters were coming out, but i'm not flinching at every other series i check out with similar starting premises. the reason usagi drop is so memorable is because it really turned on a dime in the final volume, usually in other sketchy or weird stuff you have like, a warning vibe to it before it really nosedives.

like i wasn't surprised by the creepazoid ending to "the door into summer", even if i hated it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

... the heinlein novel?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the only usagi drop i want to see is sailor moon comically tripping on a banana peel

I agree

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

yeah i was trying to think of an example of something that i've read that was weird from the start and that's the best my mind came up with lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ironically there is a japanese film adaptation of it from a few years ago apparently

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

forget bunny drop, where's my bunnouji adaptation

i dont care that it's been 12 years

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

For a small channel, William SRD sure manages to get some tight brand integrations. Here's the finale of his unintentional DragonStrike trilogy, with the actual physical board game some nerds made for the property:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLCp51qqDg

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oh good timing, I just watched his Mordheim video last night

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

this has occasionally but persistently popped up in my recommends over the last year or so, I finally watched it. nothing new to anyone who has actually read the entirety of usagi drop, but an okay breakdown of the series, why it was good, and why it was so mortifying seeing the path it took
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_221j4BTA&hd=1

some of the comments being from fathers who were increasingly dismayed as they read the series, or remarking on public reception to the series's shift, really takes me back to when people were reading it as it happened. just a slow motion trainwreck and everyone could see where the author was going with it but refusing to believe they would actually do it, just irrevocably ruining and setting alight the exceptional series they had built up until that point.

if you want usagi drop but it stays good I guess you could always read Ikoku Nikki

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Rereading yotsuba instead

or this yeah

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't the anime avoid the lovely timeskip and end better?

Yeah the anime removes the weird incest bullshit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah the anime removes the weird incest bullshit.

What gets me is like even up until the very end Usagi Drop looks like it's going the way you think it would and then it takes its Turn in the very last couple of chapters. Or at least as I recall, it's been a while.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

njsykora posted:

Fallout has a theme?

Its the Bwa Bwaaahh...Bwaaaaaaahhh theme from the Fallout 3 opening menu

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I know what the Fallout: New Vegas main menu theme sounds like. (Because the average F:NV play session requires the game to be booted 3-4 times due to crashes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

usagi drop was 56 chapters with 5 bonus chapters afterwards. In chapter 41 the daughter is getting ready to meet her mom and is so glad the main dude is her dad. THE VERY NEXT CHAPTER they start dropping hints, but the kind that readers were like "wait no it's got to be a translation issue or something it can't be real" but it wasn't outright stated until chapter 50 at which point everyone basically went apeshit

it did get an anime and a live action film that both cut the series way before the impact because no poo poo they would