Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Elden Ring literally runs on DS3's engine, so if you want more Sekiro than Souls, you're probably going to disappointed.

I however, absolutely loving HATED Sekiro so Elden Ring going back to being Souls-like appeals to me far more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think this was definitely the optimal and most informative way to experience Dark Souls 2.

Kuvo does a very good Geop playing impression. You may take this however you wish.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I never remotely guessed, so I'd say you pulled off the ruse

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Cant wait for DS3!
I super love Sekiro a lot, but Elden Ring combat so far looks like my jam.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 14, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I would watch a Doremon movie with Bruce Willis as Doremon. Probably twice if it was animated, but Bruce was the only live actor.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

F yeah, the return of SoftBank dogdad!

I had no idea, well played :golfclap:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Am I going to have to go back and watch all this again, like Fight Club?

Yeah, same - I had no idea.

But thanks for the LP! Literal years in the making, but always a good time.

For what it's worth, like - sorry, I know one of you said it in the video - uh... Dark Souls 3 is good. It's my favourite out of the three as well.

I really didn't like DS2 my first time through either - probably made worse by it being the Scholars version. I did eventually go back and play it again though, and had a better time of it that go around - but probably only because that meant I knew about the lovely parts in advance, and could prepare for them.

I've still only played DS2 twice, though. Who knows if I'll ever play it again. I've been wanting to play DS3 again for ages (because it's really good!), but man... that game took me 90 hours to get through, and my game queue is huge...

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:negative:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I had a suspicion there might be some of that going on, glad to see this make it to the end :D

DS2 is definitely the odd one of the games, but I amd one of those weirdos who will still go to bat for it's pvp (and just general and functional matchmaking in general vs DS1) :colbert:

Also you can hit the curse things during the queen fight to break them, but she'll make more eventually.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...But why does the dog talk?

Anyhow, well played. This was a great LP, trickery and all.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 14, 2022

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

still don't know what nashandra's deal was.
or aldia's.
or anyone's, really.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

double nine posted:

still don't know what nashandra's deal was.
or aldia's.
or anyone's, really.

Nashandra (and the other queens in the three DLC) is a daughter of Manus, she was born from his death back in the Dark Souls 1 DLC, and they sought out strong humans to marry and drain as beings of pure abyssal darkness they covet power and warmth and mighty souls.

Elana ended up choosing the poison dragon, the one from the Iron Keep DLC arrived after the Old Iron King initially fell and decided the Fume Knight was more worthy, the one for the Frozen Eleum Loyce ended up falling actually in love with the Ivory King and supported his quest to imprison the Old Chaos. Nashandra herself encouraged Vendrick's campaigns of conquest against the giants until the Kiln of the First Flame came to be his, and as he hollowed she took over.

Aldia wishes to break the cycle itself, as there have been many ages of both fire and dark, because even in ages of dark someone inevitably relinks the fire, and in ages of fire it inevitably fades. His belief that to break the cycle one must become a true monarch, involves going around and getting all four of the crowns from the DLC (and Vendrick) which lets you do his ending, as Dark Souls 2 originally only had one ending because part of its thesis is that linking the fire or not doesn't actually change anything, the world repeats, dark and fire forever cycling through the ages until you break it. Aldia broke it himself in some specific way, ending up a rampant chaot mass of tree and fire in the process, his initial attempts to do so involved studying the immortal souls of dragons, which led to him creating the Emerald Herald. His follow up with Vendrick was studying giants, and finally he came upon the current thing.

The fact that Nashandra and her sisters are all daughters of Manus is part of why I think that this game is set in the abyss, basically they ended up pulling the world around them into the Abyss, hence the jumbled up nature of the maps to an extent, and the Darkdiver covenant's whole deal matching the way you even arrive at the start of the game is your character jumping into a giant abyss whirlpool.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
It's wonderful that this actually ended up getting completed. Thanks a lot, and to Kuvo too :v:

As one last Zullie video, here's the Frigid Outskirts without the blizzard. It's a very, very big place, but you've pretty much seen everything interesting in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsIKqrcdrbE

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Aldia wishes to break the cycle itself,

Cursed thought:

Sigma Male aldia

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

anilEhilated posted:

You don't get that high in softbank by writing down all your crimes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I love DS2 but it has massive flaws. I am willing to overlook those because it does so many things so incredibly well, and I keep going back to it for that. But if you don't like trying ever stupider builds, going through the areas in completely different order all the time, and putting the builds to the test in the best PvP in the series, then yeah, there's a lot of bad level design, boring areas, basic enemies, and bizarre mechanics that are more annoying than anything.

Like many games, it gets a lot better if you're willing to accept it for how it is, deal with its idiosynchrasies, and play it how it wants to be played. However, if you've already decided that you don't like it, and only try to get through it for an LP - no matter who's actually playing, of course - then it will feel like more and more of a chore as you try to square peg its round hole. I kept wincing at all those time where stamina bars were left empty with none left over for dodging, enemy attacks kept being tanked instead of learning how to dodge properly, and all that with Vigor treated like a dump stat. With the revelation of course it doesn't matter now, but I did groan every time an area or boss was introduced for an ostensibly blind player as "oh yeah this one sucks! This is a really bad boss! Man I hate this part of the game!" - well, of course then the judgment is pre-set. And the verdict won't ever reach beyond the level of "it wasn't that bad I guess".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You didn't even see the second Smelter Demon! It alters the timing of an attack just to gently caress with your muscle memory.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Why wouldn't Dad be able to talk?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I really wish there was an option to tell Nashandra to just have the stupid throne, this place sucks. I never did the DLC because the game is so long I just wanted it to be over but just walking out after killing the only people who actually care about the stupid thing is kind of extra f u.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad Elden Ring is looking more Dark Soulsy because nothing about Sekiro's gameplay was interesting to me. I want slower and steadier lol

Glimpse posted:

I really wish there was an option to tell Nashandra to just have the stupid throne, this place sucks. I never did the DLC because the game is so long I just wanted it to be over but just walking out after killing the only people who actually care about the stupid thing is kind of extra f u.

She can't actually get to it, her plan was to just let someone else do all the bearing and seeking and just kick back for a few hundred years then shank the person who got the keys to the throne

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Congrats on the LP, and congrats on the ruse, i never caught. :golfclap:

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

This LP was a delight from start to finish to start to actual finish. Well done on completing it, and I hope one day you all play a game that is actually good and/or fun.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Great job.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Thanks, as always, for the (as always) wonderful LP. I hope it's always fun to do, and that it's never a burden, never something you dread. I'll be here for the next one, whenever that may come, whatever it may be, whenever you find something you want to share. Thank you, really, all of you.

Add me to the list of folks fooled by the switch. I figured the time off had been long enough to get a gaming PC, and maybe have something weird happen to your old save, and that a new playstyle might've made the game more engaging. Honestly, even the doorbell didn't clue me in, since the idea of a player swap hadn't occurred to me. I figured the doorbell itself was the gag, and then I forgot about it.

I can absolutely understand being burnt out on Dark Souls 2. I got seriously burnt out on Dark Souls 2, and was disinterested in the DLCs when they came out. I only started to appreciate it again when doing a spite/mastery playthrough of Scholar with a wiki in hand, before the release of DS3.

The paragraph below is mostly me figuring out my own timing and can be skipped:
(Thinking about this got me to check the timing, based on release dates and the timestamps on some screenshots. DS2 came out April 25, 2014, according to the Steam store page. I've got an early game screenshot dated to April 24, 2014, and a screenshot indicating I was making attempts on the Throne of Want by June 18, 2014. So two months. Achievements for first death / seeing the ending match that. Store page says Scholar came out one year later, April 1, 2015, which prompted a great big "fuuuck thaaaat" from me for a while. Not sure when I bought it, but screenshots and achievements indicate I made my return on December 22, 2015 and finished my first New Game cycle on April 11, 2016. Three and a half months, and finishing on the day DS3 came out, which I started immediately. Hit my first ending ... May 11, 2016? Yeesh, only one month? Second ending June 15, another month, third ending August 7, two more months.)

I haven't played enough of Sekiro to really make an informed comparison with Dark Souls. It's definitely different, though, in a way that Dark Souls, Dark Souls III, and (to a slightly lesser extent) Bloodborne are all quite similar. I didn't particularly care for Sekiro, though that was more because it seemed to be about a particular playstyle that wasn't what I was used to. (That and the lack of co-op; I tend to play these games with friends a lot.) So the idea of Elden Ring being "Dark Souls, but open-world, with easier co-op" is appealing to me.

You'll note the absence in the list of similar games. Dark Souls II is its own weird, awkward thing. It has its fans because everything has its fans (and, terribly, I'm probably one of them by this point), but it's basically no indication of what Dark Souls III is like. (Which is fantastic. Dark Souls III is loving fantastic.) I'm not saying you should go play it right now. Take a break, play whatever you want, read some good books, relax. Make another LP someday, if you want to. I'm just saying: don't skip Dark Souls III just because Dark Souls II was garbage.

Here's a simple example: in Drangleic, it's always wink-wink, nudge nudge, who knows, maybe, no resolution. In Lothric, you get a wink, a nudge, a callback to Dark Souls I, and an explicit loving resolution. There's a reason why I slammed through it in single month—it's actually satisfying to play.

(Also, I think I was unemployed.)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dark Souls 3 when

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dark Souls 3 when

After Bloodborne

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks so much for a great LP. The revival really brought me back to the good old days of 2016. And let us not forget Squint for being part of the original run too.

As for the big twist, for some reason I never thought twice when I saw Kuvo playing DS2 on Steam so long ago. The only time I was ever suspicious was during this last episode, because at one point in the snowy area it seemed like Geop reacted to something slower than Kuvo, but I thought it was just an audio syncing mistake.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Thanks for the great LP! The twist totally got me. Looking forward to whatever's next.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kuvo posted:

hi im doing geops lp for him now here is the next update please like comment and subscribe

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
oh drat

I can't believe it was him all along!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Cool Dogs Only posted:

Thanks so much for a great LP. The revival really brought me back to the good old days of 2016. And let us not forget Squint for being part of the original run too.

As for the big twist, for some reason I never thought twice when I saw Kuvo playing DS2 on Steam so long ago. The only time I was ever suspicious was during this last episode, because at one point in the snowy area it seemed like Geop reacted to something slower than Kuvo, but I thought it was just an audio syncing mistake.
God bless Squint. He got out under cover of darkness. Also I can't remember which session but someone messaged Kuvo mid-recording at some point going "why are you playing Dark Souls 2" haha.

The last session was super weird because it was the first time I had trouble sync'ing our audio. We used our usual method but I hit parts where I'd go "wait is my audio track behind/ahead?" Think I shifted and re-output it three or four times during editing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cool Dogs Only posted:

As for the big twist, for some reason I never thought twice when I saw Kuvo playing DS2 on Steam so long ago.
Vicas also played Dark Souls 2. Tweeted about it and everything. Sometimes people just play Dark Souls 2. I actually rebought Dark Souls 2 around the same time this lp came back.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I play DS2 all the time because it's good

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I caestus powerstanced my way to the top of this 42 boss (?) garbage heap on covenant of champs and then haven't played it since. Punching fume knight in the balls was great. Trying to hit dogs and rats while locked on and whiffing over their head was not. I think I actually died the most on Royal Rat Authority. Lategame you could basically just stunlock dudes with the stone ring.

I don't blame Kuvo for not getting the red and blue everquest warrior sword combo by beating the other smelter demon. That iron passage zone is extremely tedious if you can't speedrun it and then you can just get hitboxed by the boss.

Thanks for the LP. It's been good to tune in and catch the latest episode every now and then over the years, and making that transformation sequence parody gave me a fun project to do one day.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

MOTHER FUCKER

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Dark Souls II by far the Souls game I like the least but I still feel like I have to log on to defend its honor. At least to some extent. Despite hitting things just not feeling good and the area and encounter design being uninspired a lot of the time as well as a good number of really bland bosses, I still think it's a great game in spite of its troubled development. Which is impressive but I'd love to see what this game would look like if it went through less turmoil in its making.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 20, 2022

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
Finally got around to watching the last episode, wow. I've been had. It's kinda crazy that when I started watching this let's play I was nineteen years old and in college and when it finished I started my first full-time job. What a ride it's been!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Congrats on the new job, dude!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012

Geop posted:

Congrats on the new job, dude!!

Thanks Geop! Ended up in Houston with a good company. Working my way through a rewatch of the LP right now.